The mission of the society is:
- To provide education and training for gastrointestinal
and/or abdominal surgeons and surgeons-in-training.
To measure, on an ongoing basis, the quality and effectiveness
of our educational programs and to modify them based
on these measures.
- To identify and evaluate current and emerging minimal
access and non invasive technologies and techniques
in gastrointestinal endoscopy and endoscopic surgery.
- To serve as a forum for ideas and the exchange of
information in current and emerging minimal access technology
- To foster, support, and encourage clinical and basic
- To provide guidelines for training, standards of practice
and granting of privileges which promote patient safety
and the best clinical outcomes.
- To help assure that patients are able to obtain the
most effective diagnosis and treatment from qualified
- To develop, maintain and provide leadership to achieve
the above goals.
- To maintain an atmosphere which promotes diversity
and collegiality among members.
- To define and provide tools and guidelines for measurement
in assessing surgical competence.