don't forget to tell each and every doctor you see that you had surgery or else !

fit N.
on 3/24/04 1:28 pm - wilton, CA
it is very important to tell each health care person you deal with that you had surgery. I had gall stone problems and was to undergo scans. they handed me a large 36oz glass of chalk and told me to drink it down and a second smaller glass was to follow.......I told them again that I had bari surgery and couldn't do that.....they all but demanded that I drink the chalk stuff right away so they could do their tests. I told them I wanted to talk to a supervisor.....I then told them what was going on and they called a doctor in......lucky I held my ground. I found that I would have caused a major rupture had I followed their directions......they instead had me take tiny sips and looked at my stomach, even with the tiny sips I took it was very painful to "pass" the chalk back out....I do mean VERY... then, I had gall bladder surgery, they sent me home the sameday......big mistake....I vomited for hours and dyhidrated, ended up back in ICU for a week. don't let them send you home sameday.......not worth the risk second and most important....THEY MISSED A STONE AND WERE GOING TO GO IN WITH A SCOPE TO GET THE MISSING STONE........WHOA RIGHT THERE......I ASKED THEM HOW THEY PLANNED ON DOING THAT AND REMINDED THEM I HAD THE R-Y SURGERY....... THERE IS NO WAY THEY CAN DO THAT DOWN YOUR THROAT TO RETRIEVE A STONE.......DO NOT LET THEM TRY IT... they brought in Bari surgerons who told them not possible and they would have caused major problems again had I not jumped in myself and protested and refused treatment........so beware of what your going to have done...if in doubt call your bari-surgeon's office and if you have to demand to talk to someone who knows your case... DO NOT ASSUME THAT A DOCTOR KNOWS ABOUT BARI- SURGERY IT IS YOUR LIFE AND YOUR BODY ON THE LINE...ASK QUESTIONS I ENDED UP WITH LIFE-THREATING Liver swelling, pancitis, and the stone. please pass this information on and save a brother or sister from a fatal mistake... speak up..........don't assume your doctor's know your history...it's important
Cupcake B.
on 3/25/04 1:14 am - Temple Hills, MD
Fit Now, your post is very informative. I am sorry to hear that you went through such an ordeal. I have been thinking about getting a Medical Alert bracelet myself, just in case. Still that is kinda scary........
DLH54
on 5/30/04 1:32 pm - North Chelmsford, MA
I would also recommend a Medical Alert Bracelet. I got one at CVS and am planning on getting it engrave with the pertinent information as soon as I have a chance.
beverly U.
on 6/1/04 3:06 pm - Wilton, ca
I am glad you took the first step in getting your bracelet, please get it engraved asap.......and make sure others in your family are your voice when you can't speak for yourself........ good luck, P.s. just a update: it's been almost 6 months since my ordeal and I am about back to normal. My blood work is almost normal with my kidney-liver functions and I am feeling great. I hope someone is helped by this message thread and no one else ever is at risk.....thanks for passing the message on to others.
beverly U.
on 6/1/04 3:00 pm - Wilton, ca
I forgot to say that I did have a medi alert necklace on..........so please please wear them, but also tell everyone who treats you what is going on and make sure someone is with you that can speak for you if you can't that knows your history.
Fixnmyself
on 6/13/04 11:25 am - Queens, NY
I am fortunate in that my WLS surgeon is the one that will be doing my gall bladder surgery. He explained that it was best to remove it since I had an attack, and that as you mentioned, we can not have stones removed through the mouth. I am treemendously relieved that he will be doing the surgery at the hospital that my WLS was done at.
beverly U.
on 2/25/05 12:43 am - Wilton, ca
update, I am doing well, although now and then I will suffer for a week or so with pain in the liver area......Pancitis comes back now and then. I keep telling the dr's each time I see even a dentist that I had surgery. those medi alert items are great if they read them.......make sure everyone you talk to has your history on their charts and that it is flagged with a red flag so no one misses it. my husband is always there when I have anything done so If I can't talk for myself he can talk for me. I have had a bit of plastic surgury now and am so happy that I started rebuilding my life, the skin is the next to go......I have lots of loose skin that is giving me trouble. so can't wait to get rid of it. trust me the dr will know and understand what he can and can't do to me. good luck everyone
Most Active