Three years post Op and now checking for a gallbladder problem

pkiriakos
on 3/11/09 5:32 am - Pflugerville, TX
Greetings all,

I'm three years post op and having a persistantly growning pain in the upper stomach right below my rib cage. Since surgery in March of 2006 have maintained a wieght of 220 - 226. Been able to keep to on track with dietary recommendations, and still find I don't tolerate sugars or fats well.

For the past several months I've been having what I can only describe as a tight contracting pain when I drink or eat something that lasts from 1 hour up to 4 hours afterwards. Also I've had a marked burning/numbing sensation of the tip of my toungue.
On several occasions when eating or drinking I've thrown up several times and had to leave work the pains have gotten so bad. So knowning this was not right I saw my GP. I like my GP but when it comes to dealing with issues that envolve my stomach he tends to shy away sighting my RNY as a component that makes dealing with it problematic. With that he referred me to a Internalest who scheduled me for an Upper GI , and when I showed up for the appointment and he found out I had RNY he said I really prefer not to treat you for this condition. I not wanting to force him into providing treatment that he felt uneasy with and I knowning I'd likely not get the best care said thanks and left his office. So I went back to my surgeon. Immediately he gave me the confident feeling I'd come to the right place.

He informed he that he thought my issues would either be a gallbladder issue (My looked great at the time of the bypass so it was left in ) or perhaps a Ulcer by my pouch near the incession marks.
I walked out with a prescription for Nexum, orders for a full blood panel, and orders for an Ultra-sound of my Upper Right Quadrant.

My insurance is not covering the Nexum so we have found the covered meds and I'll be starting that prescription here later today.

I was wondering if others have had issues like this and thier experiences.

pkiriakos
on 3/12/09 2:12 pm - Pflugerville, TX
Update.

Spoke to Dr.Dillawn's staff after experiencing a bad night for follow-up. I was told that the Ultra-sound indicated several large gallstones. That being said I head into surgery tomorrow morning.

That being the case does anyone have dietary recommendations they would not mind sharing ?

My family and I have already adopted a low fat dietary habit pattern already. We rarely (Once or twice a month) have any red meats. Rarely do we eat fried anything, and I do not have dairy products due to a lactose condition my son and I share.

Many thanks,

Pete
Jeffrey B.
on 4/26/12 6:34 am - Sherwood, AR
Jeffrey B.
on 4/26/12 6:34 am - Sherwood, AR
Sound just like me. I had to have mine out two months ago.
pkiriakos
on 3/13/09 7:48 am - Pflugerville, TX
 Surgery went well. Doctor reported he was able remove the gallbladder with Lapproscopic tools. Home after the procedure that took just over an hour. Went in at 7:15 am and was wheel-chaired out at roughly 2:00 pm.

Was advised to consider keeping to a bland diet for 7-10 days, increase water intake, and consider using Phillips Milk of Maginessa with meals  for first 5 days post op.

Advised to walk in order to help bowels do their thing and exercise in general.

Anyone else have any helpful  advise to pass along ? 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi May 2008 friends!
Happiness-is-a-choice · 0 replies · 473 views
Happy 4 years
Jeffrey B. · 2 replies · 1431 views
Happy 3 Years!
MotivatedOne · 0 replies · 1137 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 1248 views