Edmonton - Weight Wise

Ballerinababe165
on 6/6/13 9:13 pm
thingirlsomeday
on 8/10/09 7:05 am - Edmonton, Canada
I was referred about 6 months ago to weight wise. I am attending my first class today. I am going to the one in North Edmonton. I don't know much about the program. But I know I have to do something to get this weight off. I started going to the gym, but my knee hurts so bad somedays. So I either don't go, or beat myself up for only going to half hour or 45 minutes. I have been heavy since I was 16 years old, so I hope this works nothing else has. I got pneumonia last year and am now at the heaviest I have ever been at and it scares me to death.
fatsoinedmonton
on 4/23/10 9:02 am - Canada
Hello my name is Ivan i was at a weight wise clinic in North Edmonton on April23/10 were you there as well. if so thanks for tghe advise on this web site and I hope to chat with you again, best of luck in your weight reduction, if you're interseted in chatting e-mail at [email protected], have a great day
Keelan
on 10/4/09 10:35 am

Denise,

I also waited a year to get to the orentation date. Since then I've had 2 seperate blocks of appointments with the satff at the Clinic. One the first visit I met with the Nurse, pshycologist  and the OT group. On the second I met again with the Nurse and Dietition and this time the Surgeon. In between appointment I have been doing the required modules.

I also wanted to say that when you start seeing Weight Wise team at the clinic that there is no guarentee of having surgery. They will ask you what your thoughts on having surgery are but again there is no guarentee you will ever have surgery. They push life style change. You have many tools given to you by this team, that must be followed. You will have to a daily start food journel, chart your exercise, steps per day. Your emotions and progress. It really makes you look at your daily routines in a different light.

I wish you success in this journey Denise. Knowing that you are never alone in this battle against obessity makes it a little easier to fight.

marty_enokson
on 10/13/09 7:40 am - Edmonton, Cayman Islands
Hi there, I am a proud member of the Weight Wise success stories... but getting to where I am today has been quite a journey... but a journey well worth it.  I was referred to the program in 2005 but waited for two years before I got in... apparently my letter from my doctor was lost.  I finally got into the program and attended my first appointment on July 17, 2007.  I was in the program and experienced ups and downs but finally buckled down on October 20, 2008.  That was the date that I weighed in and realized that everything that I had lost over the course of the last year and three months had been gained back plus a pound.  I was 501 pounds.  On October 20, 2008  I met with my surgeon and found out that there was no medical reason that I could not have the surgery.  My biggest obstacle was going to be the weight that I was carrying presurgery.  From that appointment to December 15, 2008 I lost a total of 46 pounds and showed the program that I was very serious about losing this weight.   I was scheduled for surgery for January 27, 2009.  I was about to embark on this next phase of my life.

In early January I received a telephone call from the program advising that they had a cancellation and asked me if I wanted to bump up my surgery to a date the following week.  i jumped at the opportunity.  I completed the pre-admission work on Janaury 12, 2009 and had the first of two surgeries on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 (the second surgery was on January 14, 2009).  The procedure that I had was the Roux en Y.  Needless to say, I had some complications - I had a leak that could not be located exactly.  My doctor went in the second time to see if he could locate the leak.  He could not find it and so it was decided that we would let the leak heal itself naturally.  Making that choice meant that I would not be able to eat or drink anything while the leak healed.  Unfortunately... I didn't think that it would take 76 days to heal... but that was the case.  No food or fluid for 76 days.  It certainly helps you change your relationship with food. 

Needless to say, after all that time in the hospital... and there were times when I thought that I would go stark raving mad, I came out of the hospital and have lost 150 pounds.   I am on my way to my goal and will lose 100 more pounds before I am done.  The decision that I made to have the surgery was the best decision that I ever made.  Not a single regrret.

Make sure that you follow everything that you are told... keep your journal and change your relationship with food.  Remember that this surgery is a tool... a tool to be used in conjunction with good eating habits and exercise.  The three combined will help you to lose weight and reach your goal. 

If I can help you with anything, please do not hesitate to email me.  I can be reached at [email protected].

Keelan
on 11/11/09 3:38 pm
Thanks you for sharing your story. It's nice to hear that you have been successful. I have only been in the clinic since July and I am due back for my second round of appoinements later this month. I am struggling big time but hearing stories like your make me want to fight even harder. I wish you continued success in your journey, I know it's a long bumpy road but each day is a day closer to a smaller you.
Xcalibur2572
on 11/12/09 6:10 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12
Marty:

I have been meaning to drop you line after reading your recent postings.

It's nice to see that there is at least one other former "fiver" on the list.  I think that we probably have a slightly difference perspective on the world being super morbidly obsese.  Not to take anything away from other folks on this list.

I was just curious to know.  When you were in the hospital for those 76 days, did you lose 150 in the hospital or did you lose it between your surgery and just recently.  I am just trying to grasp the concept around losing that much mass over such a short period of time.  You would think that you were beaten to death on "Biggest Loser" to attain that kind of loss.

Also, what was your rationale for going with the RNY bypass over the sleeve?  From my readings, it is preferred to start with the VSG and then move to the RNY, if needed.  Was the clinic not offering the sleeve at the time?  That's can't be becuase the first one was done in Nov 2008 in the pilot project.  Anyway, just curious.

Anyway, it's good that you're here.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers!
-- Xcalibur

marty_enokson
on 11/12/09 6:35 am - Edmonton, Cayman Islands
Hey there Xcalibur...

My loss in the hospital was about 60 pounds or so.  I lost 40 pre surgery and the rest has been post hospital stay.  I have now started my slow down but I have been in the gym now for the last 8 weeks doing 45 minutes of cardio (recumbant bike) and then 1 1/2 to 2 hours of weight training.  I have muscles on my body that I didn't know should have muscles on them.  I have never felt as wonderful as I feel right now in my life. 

All told, I have lost about 160 pounds now and that is in one year.  The journey started on October 20, 2008 and one year later I was down 160. 

When I met with Dr. Birch in December, the sleeve was not offered to me.  Dr. Birch talked with me about the lap band and the RNY.  His recommendation to me, based on the amount of weight that I wanted to lose  - half of where I was at - was that I have the RNY.  Yes there could be complications, but it would allow me the best opporunity to lose 250 pounds.  I did more research and decided that I had nothing to lose.   If I didn't lose the weight then I was going convinced that I was going to die by the time I was 50.  I wasn't ready to give up... I have a whole lot of living that I still have to do.  And now I can do it.  LIFE IS GREAT!

What I do know is this... I don't ever want to be a member of the 500 club ever again.  I am on my way... and if I can help one person be motivated to make a change... then I have done something positive,

Please keep in touch Xcalibur.  I would love to know about your progress and I will keep you posted on mine.

cheers for now,

marty
Xcalibur2572
on 11/15/09 1:19 am, edited 11/15/09 1:19 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12
Marty:

Thanks for the additional information.  I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well, particularly with the exercise.  If you don't mind me asking, where do you work out?  I am thinking that I am on the other side, I need to kick up my workouts.  So, I am contemplating finding a partner, if I can manage it.

Cheers!
-- Xcalibur

marty_enokson
on 11/17/09 1:19 am - Edmonton, Cayman Islands
Hey there Xcalibur,

I work out at the Londonderry Leisure Centre in East Edmonton.  I like it there.  I feel relatively comfortable in the gym there.  There are not as many juice monkeys and close minded individuals there.  Don't get me wrong... there are some there, but its not like going to a World Health Club where you are made to feel totally uncomfortable.   I like the atmosphere and I can do my workout in relative comfort.

marty
Most Active