New here and New to Edmonton Weight Wise Clinic

Kenni
on 11/8/12 1:39 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 04/10/13

Hi Everyone,

I just had my first appointment with the nurse at the Edmonton Weight wise clinic. I'm not really entirely sure what to expect. 

I've booked all of my modules starting at the end of November and I'll have them completed by Jan. 29th. 

Anyways, I'll tell you a little about myself..I'm 25, Female, currently 354 lbs (my highest was 386, yuck). When my doctor first brought up surgery, I was absolutely appalled. I would have never ever considered it. Then my health started deteriorating. Another doctor told me that I have precancerous cells because of my weight and that I needed to lose a lot of weight, fast. Scary! I've done quite a bit of research and now I am fully on board the surgery train.  I'm 100% doing it for the health benefits, not for the way I look.

Soo, not sure what the point of this post is..other than just wanting to say hi, and I hope to talk to lots of you!

Kendra :)

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/8/12 12:08 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
The health benefits are many! I've lost 45# since surgery, 52# since the start of my pre-op diet. Along with the pounds I've lost high blood pressure (was 197/115, was medicated, now 110/70 without meds) and the need for daily pain management for arthritis, chronic bursitis and sciatica. I do take the occasional pill, but once or twice a week instead of twice every day plus occasional extras for breakthrough pain.

I also think I look better.
Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Adrianna O.
on 11/13/12 10:30 pm - Canada

Welcome Kendra!

I can't give you much on the clinic anymore because it has been awhile since I saw anyone there besides my surgeon and things are always changing.  You'll do amazing and feel free to ask any questions!  We are here to help!

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/12 4:00 pm - Canada

Welcome !!   I  started taking my modules in Feb and had my first appointment in clinic in May.  It is an amazing program and a awesome journey !!  ALL of the staff are amazing and supportive.  I can not say enough good things about this clinic.  It has changed my life !!  The part of me that has changed the most so far is the emotional part.  That is where I needed the most help with my obesity and with the help of the weight wise program I have learned to change my entire thought process around food. 

The best advice I can give a new comer is just to do exactly what they say.  Journal, make your appointments, get your modules done and follow the advice they give you. Be open and do not be combative (lol not that you would be however, I have over heard and come across quite a few people in the clinic who are actually deffensive about things ...that helps no one and actually henders your progress). 

As long has you show them you want to change and are making changes, even small ones, things will move along quickly. 

Good Luck and Congrats ...this is going to change your life if you let it :)

If you have any questions please dont hesistate to contact me :)

Nichole

m.morgan
on 1/14/13 2:48 pm - Canada

Hi, 

I just read your post, actually i am waiting for my first appointment, it was supposed to be  last week but it got canceled and I have to wait for another month and a half.

The papers they sent me to fill said that this is not an easy way to get to the surgery, i don't understand. Does this mean that I might be rejected?

I just wanted to know what to expect?

How far did you go since you started this post?

Kenni
on 1/15/13 3:27 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 04/10/13

Hello!

That's unfortunate that your appointment was cancelled..hopefully if there are any other cancelations they will call to get you in right away.  I know that one of the nurses is away for the next few months, so that could be why.

I'm not sure what you mean by the papers say its not an easy way to get surgery. If you are medically able to, and you stay on track (ex. don't gain a lot of weight), then it shouldn't be difficult. It is a long process, maybe that's what the letter meant. 

Well, I haven't gotten super far, but here's what I've experienced so far. 

First you will get started on your modules (if you haven't already started). They are full of good information.

At your first meeting, you will meet with your nurse. She is your case manager and your go to person. She will go over your lab results (or give you a request for blood work if you haven't already gotten that done). She will get you started with journaling as well as any other things she wants you to do.

Then you will meet with a dietician who will determine what amount of calories you should be consuming daily, as well as some type of a meal plan.

After that I met with the doctor (one is Dr. Kwon - who is my family doctor, and the other is Dr. Modi - who is my doctor at the clinic...both are really great people. I'm sure whichever one you are placed with, you will like!). She goes more into depth with your lab work, asks you a bunch about your medical history, asks what your plans are (surgery or not), etc. 

Once she approves you for surgery you will meet with your surgeon. On that day, either he, or someone from his team will go over each one of the surgeries including the pros and cons. This is done in a group session. After that you will meet with him and he will answer any questions and ask you some questions regarding what you have decided on.

Then, you will book a bunch of appointments with the ladies at the front. You will be booked for a scope, appointments with your dietician, Dr and RN. You will also be booked in for two pre-op classes (These appointments are usually pretty far in the future, as surgery waits are currently about 7-8 months once you are on the waiting list).

Somewhere in there you will also meet with a psychologist (and psychiatrist if it is determined that you need to see one). I haven't yet met with the psychologist, as my appointment was canceled and rebooked for next month.

Now that I am on the surgery waiting list, I will continue meeting with the Dr, RN, Dietician and Psychologist. 

Hopefully that gives you some idea of what to expect. I'm still fairly new to this whole process, but I will try my best to answer any questions you have. If I can't answer them, I'm sure one of the other lovely ladies (and a few men) on this site will have some wonderful answers for you!

-Kendra

http://chunkygirlkendra.blogspot.ca           

Surgery date: April 10, 2012    

Starting Weight: 386.0
Surgery Weight: 329.0

m.morgan
on 1/15/13 3:49 am - Canada

Thank you very much, this was very helpful.

congratulations on the pounds lost already.

Is there a goal weight before you go into surgery?

Kenni
on 1/15/13 3:53 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 04/10/13

I don't necessarily have a goal weight before surgery, just because I don't know how long that will be. I'm hoping to do the 1-2 lbs per week, but as long as I don't gain, then I am happy!

I've been on a plateau on or around 40 lbs down for the last few weeks and am finally just getting over that (fingers crossed for my weigh in this week).

I think the drs at the clinic just don't want to see you gain, and are even happier if you do manage to lose!

http://chunkygirlkendra.blogspot.ca           

Surgery date: April 10, 2012    

Starting Weight: 386.0
Surgery Weight: 329.0

Most Active