Red Deer Timelines

Shelly R.
on 7/3/13 2:12 am - Didsbury, Canada

Good morning everyone!!!

I was just curious if anyone from a more recent time has gone to Red Deer Clinic.

What I am looking for is a rough timeline of when you went to your first information session to then when you had your other appointments leading up to and including surgery.

I have the first information session booked and am just trying to figure out what time lines would potentially be so that I can either keep holiday time from this year or next.

Thank you all in advance!

Shelly

Scribbles
on 7/3/13 9:21 am - Canada
VSG on 12/05/13

I'm currently going through things at the Red Deer clinic.  My information session was March 1 and I had my first appointment with the nurse on April 2.  I had another appointment there later in April with the dietician.  In May, I had an appointment at the beginning of the month with the psychologist, and then the first consult with the surgeon (and the video info session) at the end of May.  I was told at that point that the only 2 mandatory appointments I needed was the psych eval and the gastroscopy.  At the end of May, the surgeon's office called me to tell me they would call me in a few months for the gastroscopy (yes, MONTHS), but they then called me at the beginning of June and said I could go in for it on June 21, which I did.  I also had another appointment with the dietician that day.  My surgeon told me during the gastrocopy that he wanted my next appointment to be with him to book a surgery date, and told me that from that appointment the wait was about 4-5 months before they actual surgery.  I wasn't able to get in to see him until August, and have my psych eval this month as well as another nurse visit on the same day.  I've been very lucky to get 2 appointments a month, which is not what I expected as they told us during the information session that it was one appointment per month...so what I've been lucky enough to do in 4 months, normally would take 8, which is hard to believe!  I imagine my surgery will probably be early next year, so if you're just starting the process now, yours will probably be next year some time as well.  Good luck!

Shelly R.
on 7/4/13 2:35 am - Didsbury, Canada

Thank you so much for your response!  It is greatly appreciated to have a bit of a goal in mind.  I talked to someone else and they were saying that three months after the information session you have surgery.  That would have made it before the end of this year and so I was hoarding away vacation time to just be safe! 

How exciting for you to be so far along in the process that many are just starting on!  Good luck!

Scribbles
on 7/4/13 8:17 am - Canada
VSG on 12/05/13

Three months would be AWESOME!!  During the information session they told us that on average, the journey from first appointment to surgery was 8-16 months, which is a huge time span, so I think you're good to assume sometime next year. It sure would be nice for it to be a bit faster, with all of us waiting!

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/13 1:25 pm - Canada

April 4th - Orientation

May 2nd - First appt with clinic (nurse appt)

May 8th - Consultation with Dr. Gregg

June 6th - Nurse/ Dietician Appt

June 7th - Gasto Scope (they called with a cancellation 2 days before and I said yes :)

June 13th (sometime that week, not sure of the exact date) - Psychologist Appt

July 4th - Nurse/ Psychologist Appt

July 10th - Dr. Gregg; explained procedure again and signed release paper for surgery

So that's my timeline lol.  I have to say the more flexible you are the quicker things go.  I took every appt I was offered.  Regardless of how quick you get through your appts you won't see the doctor for your final consultation until you've lost your 10%.  As of a few days ago I was told I could expect my surgery in the fall.  So could be 2-4 months I guess.  You do have the option of saying no to a surgery date and choosing the next one available if it doesn't work with your schedule.  They also have an option for "short notice" if that works for you.  I'm lucky I have benefits that I'll receive while I'm off work so I don't need to use up vacation time.  

Hope this helps!

Shelly R.
on 7/12/13 1:33 am - Didsbury, Canada

Thanks so much for your timeline.  That is really awesome for it is pretty clear and concise.  I will take your advice and be as flexible as possible.  My work (Thank God) is very flexible with me so that is a bonus.

Have a GREAT day everyone!

dafdill
on 8/16/13 1:00 pm - Calgary, Canada

Here is a great blog. Sisters who are in the program in Red Deer. Their blog has a lot of information. Its about 6 months to a year for surgery. They tell you all about the different qualifications and all about their different appointments.

http://evieallyswhatstheskinny.blogspot.ca/

Getbacktome
on 11/20/14 8:19 am

Hi Shelly! Thanks for sharing your story !

I was wondering how you are doing now? And what was your waiting time?

Shelly R.
on 11/20/14 11:02 am - Didsbury, Canada

Hi there!  I had a great experience at Red Deer.  

I had had my first appointment in September... Completed all appointments and such and Dec 16th got approved for surgery by Dr. Ferris.  He was off for all of January and my surgery was on April 9th. Since then I have been up and down... Some days questioned what the hell I did... But now... I would do it all over again without a second thought.  

There are tough days and I understand well how they say this is a tool and it's so important to do all they ask of you and learn the changes needed.  I am down over 100 pounds since the start of my journey.  Still consistently losing but it is slowing down now.  I have around 20 or so more to go I guess... I didn't really set any number goal for myself... I just want to be fit and healthy.

Red Deer staff were and are amazing!!  I can't say enough about their compassion, wisdom and support.  So much of my success is due to their expertise!

Shelly

Getbacktome
on 11/21/14 1:31 am, edited 11/21/14 1:42 am

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss! 

I am anxiously waiting for them to call me! My doctor sent in a referral about 2 weeks ago, I am alittle nervous I won't be accepted for surgery because my Bmi is

Most Active