panni surgery in one week

dirks34
on 3/7/14 10:26 pm
RNY on 10/31/12

Well in one week I get my extra skin taken off my stomach. While I am so excited to have it gone, I nervous about the pain and drains I will have afterwards.

Any words of wisdom from those who have gone through it before? Was the results what you expected? I will post before and after pics after I have healed a bit.

Thanks

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

MsHomeJames
on 3/8/14 2:09 pm - Canada

Hi there

I had this surgery done ten days ago and was in hospital for three nights.  The pain was surprisingly minimal but the drains are a bit of nuisance.  I just had the staples removed today with an expectation of the drains being removed on Monday.  There is also a binder which I've been told to wear for six weeks. 

Based on what I'm able to determine now, the results are amazing.  I can't honestly remember having such a taut tummy even as a child.  I'm so looking forward to having things fit me better within a few weeks.

I, too, was somewhat nervous about the whole procedure so hope this is of some help to you.  If you have any other questions that you think I could answer, please feel free to ask.

Missdez
on 3/8/14 7:01 pm - Canada

I have my first consult at the weight wise clinic this coming Friday. 

Is reconstructive surgery covered by Alberta Health care after WLS? Or does it depend on doctor's recommendation it's medically necessary?

dirks34
on 3/8/14 10:46 pm
RNY on 10/31/12

A panni is covered by Alberta Health care. A tummy tuck is not. I saw Dr. DeGara and he did not recommend a tummy tuck so that's why I'm getting the panni. I also think it less invasive. Dr. Toy also works with the WW clinic but his waiting list to see him is very long...my friend has been waiting almost 9 months to see him.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

MsHomeJames
on 3/9/14 12:43 am - Canada

Hi again,  Just thought you would find it interesting that Dr. DeGara did my surgery too.  He was very nice to work with and did (in my opinion) a great job.  Unlike some of the American surgeons's pannis, which I've read about, he re placed my belly button to an appropriate location.  I also have Home Care coming in to assist with wound care--very appreciated.  The nursing staff at the RAH were also incredible.  All the best of luck this coming week!!! 

dirks34
on 3/9/14 4:06 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Wow that's great to know. Thanks for all the info. How come you had to stay 3 days....he told me 2 days. I didn't think I had staples either....just dissolvable stitches. I work right next to the home care offices so know the nurses quite well and they will be taking out my drains....not looking forward to them. I hope I'm in a room at the hospital with just 1 other person....last time I was in a room with 4 other people that was meant for 4....it was very cramped and noisy. My surgery is the 17th so only a week to go.

Stephanie

MsHomeJames
on 3/9/14 4:40 am - Canada

Hi Stephanie

Dr DeGara told me two days as we'll, but they kept me for an extra--no idea why.  They were even running out of beds on the surgical unit and transferred me to another unit on the second floor.  I started out in a semi private but then a ward. The ward was okay as there was only two of us there.  I totally understand, though, not preferring a ward for all the reasons you've noted!  

Very best east wishes to you for a complication free procedure.  I hope you find it better than expected too!

PS. I would suggest you trim your nails (finger and toes) before surgery unless you're used to having manicures and pedicures as mine grew so much while in hospital.  I suspect it had to do with optimum humidity.  Just a thought!  

Keelan
on 3/9/14 8:17 am

Congrats on getting your panni done. Just wondering about Dr DeGara, is he/she a plastic surgeon or just a surgeon in general. I've been discharged from ww clinic for about 2 years now as I'm 3 years 5 months out from surgery. I have seen Dr Toy but honestly having to pay extra to have a tummy tuck isn't in my budget right now. I would love to have a second consult and see exactly with would be said and what can be done. Dr. Toy does monsplasty along with panni and tummy tuck, does Dr DeGara do the same. I'm thinking if I had just the panni done I'd be left with a muffin top but would still like a second opinion.

I look forward to seeing photo's and hearing more about this part of your journey. Congrats again.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

trapped37
on 3/10/14 3:06 pm

im getting mine done mid April! My dr said drains would be out before I leave the hospital this time. Staples at 2 weeks same as RNY. I to am very nervous about the pain and needing 6 weeks off! I just focus on the flat tummy after!!

Gizzys
on 3/11/14 12:31 am - Canada

I found this surgery a little more painful than the RNY.  But nothing that I couldn't bear.  Especially with a few painkillers and lots of resting.  Take your pain meds, drink lots of water, eat protein and walk around your house as much as you can.  I found that sleeping in a recliner in the living room helped.  I also took Restorlax everyday to prevent constipation and increased pushing.  I wore tank tops under my binder to prevent chafing.  I had a love/hate relationship with my binder.  I loved the support it provided, but hated that it rolled up along the bottom.  I had my hubby help me put it on or readjust it in the mornings before he left for work.  It should feel pretty tight.  But not too tight.  I was told to put nothing on my incision.  No creams or complete submersion in water until it was completely healed.  Showers are fine.  You will probably have some swelling.  Maybe not right away but it will come.  So don't freak out when after surgery your tummy is flat and then suddenly a few days/weeks later, it looks puffy.  It will become flat again.  Good luck with your surgery and recovery.  You will love the results.

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Most Active