VGS Surgery Booked for Mexico -- any tips I need to know?

Rknrbn13
on 3/8/14 6:57 am - Canada

My surgery is booked for April 29th and I am getting excited already.  Even have my protein shake mixes ready! I have the pre and post op diet information.  Completed tonnes of research on the doctor and clinic -- going to A Lighter Me. Even waiting for a quote on medical tourism insurance to cover me for any complications there.  Now just waiting for my passport...  So I am feeling pretty good.

If anyone has gone though this has any other tips for me, that would be great.

solea78
on 3/8/14 2:31 pm - Canada

Hi there.  I went to Mexico (Tijuana) & had vsg surgery 4 weeks ago and it was a great experience.  Language was a barrier with the nurses but they could understand the basics...you may want to downloal google translate on your phone so that you can communicate more " extensively".   I would highly recommend booking your return flight home with a seat with a bit more leg room...it was quite uncomfortable for me flying back 3 days later.  When u fly home...ask for an attendant and a wheelchair...even if you dont need it it gets you fast tracked through waiting lines.  Take a ho****er bottle and a small firm pillow...these to me were my essentials.

Anyways...best of luck to you!!

archrace
on 4/5/14 2:23 am - Canada

Just had mine done with dr. Ortiz.   Fantastic.   Google out of country medical alberta and you will find a form that you should get a lighterme to fill out.  Also ask for an itemized receipt.  When you get home you may be able to get up to $2, 000 from alberta health care.  Whatever you dont get reimbursed for you can write off on taxes.

While in tijuana go for walks, shopping, the beach, anything that gets you out and active. I find that I am a little more tired than I expected.  I am 54 and work ful time.  Last week was my first week back and I took Tuesday off an left early Wednesday and Thursday.   Feel a bit better every day.

I find that I do best at home by measuring out my soup or protein out and only have 2 ounces in my bowl.  Otherwise I tend to overeat and am in pain.  I can't tell the difference between 2 or 3 ounces by eyeballing it so now I measure.

Best of luck.  You are about to start a whole new way of life.   Meet some of the others while you are there.  Hint: they are the ones sitting in the restaurant eating chicken broth! !

archrace
on 4/6/14 12:30 pm - Canada

All in my surgery was just under $6, 000  I had a hernia and an ulcer and it was revision so that was extra.   Revision surgery took a lot longer than just sleeve.   I was in operating room for about 4.5 hours.

A lighter me and dr elias Ortiz. 

06mustang06
on 8/24/14 6:17 am - penticton bc, Canada

what type of revision did you have, I have vbg and want sleeve.. thanks

loosinthechubbs
on 8/17/14 11:20 am - High Level, Canada
VSG on 10/15/14 with

Hi Archrace,

I'm curious about the out of country medical form you mentioned. I am going on my own to a surgeon that works through the lighter me program, rather than through the company its self. Who would be the best person to fill out that form for my surgery? The doctor or myself? 

Thanks!

Most Active