Advice for a Newbie

CallMeLucky
on 4/22/14 11:43 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 10/06/14

Hi. I found this site about a year ago and wanted to thank everyone for the great info I've gathered here. Because of it, I was able to secure an appointment with Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat for Dec 2014. But using Miss Calla's suggestion, I called them immediately and put myself on the waiting list. Turns out there was a cancellation and I go for my consultation next Tuesday.  They told me I'd find out that day whether I'm accepted and they said they're booking about 9 months out for surgery.

I'm more scared than excited. Is that normal?  I don't truly know if gastric bypass surgery is for me. Did the rest of you feel that way when you started down this path? I've struggled with my weight since I was 10. I'm fit, but fat. Exercising and eating healthy isn't a problem for me. Portion control is.

Since I decided to explore WLS surgery a year ago, I've found it really plays on your mind. I'm considered a "light weight" and so couldn't go on any diet in case it jeopardized my chances of being accepted. I'm excited that next Tuesday I will know either way and I can get on with life one way or another. This holding pattern will be over.

Any advice you can offer is appreciated. I've read the Weight Loss Surgeries for Dummies book, scoured the internet and plan to go prepared with all my questions.

Thanks,
Karen

Chichi555
on 4/23/14 6:24 am
Gizzys
on 4/23/14 10:42 am - Canada

Hi!  It is quite normal to feel scared.  It's a big surgery and a life change for sure.  Take this time to do lots of research.  Peruse this forum and ask questions.  Just to be clear, for the first year, you will lose weight rapidly.  You will not be able to eat much. You will malabsorb lots of the nutrients you eat.  BUT the further you are out from surgery, you will be able to eat more and you will absorb more nutrients again.  Hopefully you will have learned better eating habits during the 1st year.  Maintenance is a complete different story.  People have gained all their weight back.  It is possible.  Due to eating too much, too often, the wrong things etc.  It will become work again.  But that first year is truly amazing.  Also, don't count on dumping.  Only 30% end up with dumping issues.  I have never dumped and I can eat sugar with no problems.  

So don't look at this surgery as a quick fix.  It isn't.  It might seem like it at first.  It is a weight loss tool.  Success is using the tool well and changing bad habits.  You can eat around it.

Best of luck to you.  I don't think you will regret making the decision to have surgery.  I have never had any regrets.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

nervouslywaiting
on 4/29/14 1:39 am - Canada
with

Have you considered gastric sleeve? If you don't have a lot to lose it may be a better option than bypass. I don't know if Dr Nohr offers that but it might be something to look into.

CallMeLucky
on 4/30/14 4:54 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 10/06/14

Funny you should mention that. I was thinking Gastric Bypass all along. But when I met with Dr. Nohr yesterday he suggested Gastric Sleeve instead. Mostly because I didn't have a lot of weight to loose, plus quicker healing, decreased chance of dumping, etc. So I am booked! I have a Feb 2015 date. Sure hope it moves up a bit. I'm excited to get things rolling. I really expected I was going to have to "prove my case" yesterday, but that's not the way it worked out. Having been accepted for a consultation pretty much meant I was in. That surprised me.

nervouslywaiting
on 5/8/14 1:40 am - Canada
with

That's great news! The surgery is a breeze and it is a quick recovery time. I am quite happy with my sleeve. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask away. 

Spencerella
on 5/7/14 6:31 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

You are in excellent hands with Dr Nohr. He did my daughter's sleeve surgery last Nocember and she has done extremely well. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active