Petrified about flying on a plane!

Metamorphosis1
on 6/15/14 2:07 pm

I am 295 pounds( 5 foot 4 inches)  and am supposed to fly to Europe next month.  I am petrified to the point that I am thinking about cancelling my trip.  I am so scared that I won't fit in the seats on the plane.

Anyone  flown on an overseas flight when they were quite overweight?  Should I be afraid?  Please be honest.  I am so anxious about this.  I hate flying at the best of times but with this fear of not fitting into a seat .....I am so afraid.

Keelan
on 6/16/14 12:05 am

Depending on where you carry most of your weight you might need to request a set belt extended. As for not fitting I'd say don't worry about it, you will be fine. I always asked for a window seat so I would hve that little extra room and was able to lean on the window so I wouldn't be too close to the person next to me. A lot of time there isn't anyone sitting in the middle seat so that could give you extra room as well. Don't let your weight stop you from living. Go and enjoy your trip

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

Metamorphosis1
on 6/23/14 9:02 am

Thank you so much for your answer. I appreciate your honesty! :)

ali1979
on 6/19/14 2:45 am

All airplanes carry a seat belt extender so you should be fine either way. I am flying next month and I'm currently 301 last time I flew I was slightly heavier and didn't have to use one and that was a big goal for me...fingers crossed I don't need one this time.

Remember there are people that fly that are much larger then us. Defiantly request a window seat as you should get slightly more room

Metamorphosis1
on 6/23/14 9:15 am

I've been trying to get a window seat ... But no luck yet! I'm not going to let this stop me from having a good time. I do have an aisle seat....at least it's not a middle seat! :)

jaxie77
on 6/21/14 12:57 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey , 

I fly every year over to Scotland ( home ) ....and over the years my weight has gone up and down . In April this year I flew and I was around 292 , im 5, 5 ...and carry a lot of weight in my tummy :(  I only just need the extender , maybe an inch or two out ! But I always ask for it as soon as I sit down ..usually discreetly as a flight attendant is bustling by seating people and stuff ...I just quietly ask for a seatbelt extension . Ive used one countless times , and not once have I even had a second glance or any hassle from the attendants . They are fantastic and very discreet about it . As for fitting in the seats , the only place I dont like is the middle ! I find if you are on the outside then you dont have to ask two people to get out their seats if you need the bathroom , while you climb out ( not pretty in my case ) lol ...

It may be an idea to pre book online also , maybe sit in the middle of the plane where you have more legroom ...or right at the back where you are close to washrooms and kind of ' not in the thick of it '!! Prices to do that usually start around $20 .....and its worth it.  Honestly though , its never as bad as you think , before you know it you'll be happily on your way and having a great time ! 

Enjoy 

Jax x

Metamorphosis1
on 6/23/14 9:26 am

I feel so relieved now. I have an aisle seat and have ordered an extender online (which will hopefully arrive before I leave)....so I'm hopefully going to be ok. :).   I'm probably worrying for nothing and so I really appreciate your feedback.

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/14 10:11 am

I flew when I was 322 pounds.I did need an extender.I did fit I was uncomfortable but I survived.Don't be afraid.

Metamorphosis1
on 6/23/14 11:01 pm

Thank you! :)

KHaight
on 6/23/14 10:17 am
RNY on 02/26/14

I just flew to Nashville and Washington DC. I am about 5'5" and weigh about 280. It was a tight squeeze on both accounts (seats and seat belts) but I was able to fit without lifting the arms or using the extender. I carry my weight low, hips butt and legs. Enjoy yourself. May be sore from the length of your flight, but you should not cancel your trip!!

Most Active