From start to finish

Andream33
on 5/6/15 2:47 pm - Drayton Valley, Canada

Hello all, I am just starting my process. I am about to start my modules next week. My regular doctor wants me to do that first. He said he would refer me after me doing a couple of modules. How did you find the modules? Where should a person get referred to Edmonton, Red Deer or Calgary? I am in Drayton Valley.  What happens when you get to the clinic?  How many visits? What can I do ahead of time before I get to clinc? 

mornings
on 5/7/15 1:12 am - Canada

to be totally honest the modules are  the best ,   you will so understand a lot more and be more prepared after these ,  especially the one called craving change ,     its amazing of things you didn't even realize till you read them ,    I believe these modules should be for everyone and yes I did all my modules twice , once for me and  months later I went with my son for his  and I would of went the 3rd time because all the information you will read even about head hunger will help you in the long run to not mess up  I so believe in them

Andream33
on 5/7/15 5:33 am - Drayton Valley, Canada

Thank you Morning for that info. What kind of things happen at the clinic when you finally get in?

Andrea

Kim C.
on 5/12/15 10:50 am - Canada

Hi Andrea! I wish you all of the best in your journey! :)

I know for myself, I have had quite a few ups and downs, which were related to medication changes. I start off with that because I know what it's like to get your hopes up, only to have them dashed a bit because of something as small as a medication change.

For myself, I received a referral from my doctor in August 2013. I started by completing the Weight Wise modules January - March 2014.

March 4, 2014 - Group Orientation

March 19, 2014 - First Nurse Appointment

April 15, 2014 - First Dietitian Appointment/Mental Health Assessment

May 6, 2014 - Nurse Appointment/First Surgeon Meeting/Asked to book in a Gastroscopy

August 15, 2014 - Gastroscopy

After that, I ended up with changes to medications I mentioned at the start, which really hurt my weight loss. I regained almost all of my lost weight, and at each appointment, it seemed like I would gain weight, even though I was doing everything I needed to lose it.

The Red Deer Clinic staff have been GREAT about all of the struggles. My biggest fear with this is they would drop me, thinking that I'm not trying to lose the 10%. The staff have done nothing but encourage me, and help me come up with a plan that will assist.

As of today, here is my timeline:

May 2015 - Second appointment with the Surgeon

Early to mid June 2015 - Pre-op/Post-Op classes

Here's hoping the next thing will be a surgery date. :)

The group orientation gives you an idea of what to expect, and provides information on the different types of surgery. Basically it gives you enough information to help you decide if surgery is the best option for you. The first appointments with the dietitian/nurse/mental health unit, those are to gain more insight into how your weight affects you/any upcoming challenges. They will do preliminary tests such as neck measurements to see if you are at risk of sleep apnea. You will receive a form for having blood work completed, they take your blood pressure, weigh you, go over your current eating habits, go over your history with your weight problem. The staff in Red Deer are wonderful - there is no judgement. They are truly there to help, and are very easy to talk to. :)

Hope this gives you a bit more information!

Andream33
on 5/12/15 11:01 am - Drayton Valley, Canada

Thank you for sharing. I wish you the best in the future. 

Most Active