New Member with questions

PhatPrincess28
on 6/13/15 9:43 pm - Canada

I am brand new to this forum and wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding WLS.  I recently  moved to Alberta about 10 months ago and just finally found a doctor.  She has just filled out my referral for WLS which I am grateful for.  About 15 months ago, when living back home in Newfoundland, my Doctor sent me for the referral.  So I've been on the waitlist in NL that long.  I was wondering if that could be transferred to Alberta or if I need to start all over again.  If I start again about how long of a wait will it be? 

Thanks for any help offered.

TrulyPhoenix
on 6/14/15 4:41 am, edited 6/14/15 4:42 am - Calgary, Canada

I think you'll probably have to start over, however the waitlist/timeframe will really depend on which clinic you were referred to (Calgary, Red Deer, or Edmonton).  Calgary has the longest waitlist (2+ years), and Red Deer has the shortest.  My doctor referred me to Red Deer at the end of April, and from what I've read/heard it should take a few months to start orientation (likely September).  After completing the 6 month program requirements (with 10% weight loss) the surgery can be booked.

I'm anxiously awaiting the call for orientation, as I was laid off and don't really want to start a new job until after surgery since I'll need to be available for all the appointments. Knowing of the upcoming diet restrictions and 10% weightloss requirement, I decided to get a head start at the beginning of May by using MyFitnessPal to record all my food with a daily limit of 1600 calories.  My super supportive husband offered to do this as well, and it's completely changed the way we eat!  I've already lost 27lbs, plus it will be much easier to adapt to the clinic's diet when the time comes!

PhatPrincess28
on 6/18/15 5:57 pm - Canada

I am thinking that my surgery will be in Edmonton though I'm not 100% sure. I just received a letter yesterday from the bariatric clinic here in grand prairie and they told me it is an 8 to 10 wait just to get to the clinic. They did give me information on the prerequisites for the surgery that I can go ahead and start now while I wait for the clinic appointments. Things such as the food journal, exercise sessions, diet and nutrition classes, etc.  however long it takes, I am willing to wait so that I can finally proceed with the surgery. Thanks for answering my question, and I'm sure there'll be many more to follow.

PhatPrincess28
on 6/18/15 5:58 pm - Canada

8-10 month wait to get into bariatric clinic 

bedtime
on 6/14/15 12:44 pm - Cold Lake, Canada

Hello

I believe you have to start from scratch, but you could call the Edmonton clinic to verify.

From the time my referral was accepted in Feb 2014 to my first appointments was about a year (Mar 2015). I have had many of appointments since then and have appointments booked until the end of Nov 2015.  There will be more appointments to come but once the appointment with the internist and surgeon together happens and at that time they approve my surgery it will be a year from then before surgery will happen.  Its a very long process but well worth it from what I hear.  Hope this helps!

Terry

kookicele
on 6/15/15 9:26 am

Hi,

im in the calgary clinic. I was referred in March 2014. My intake appt was in May 2014. My classes were July-August 2014. And I saw the surgeon in January. I should be having surgery in the next few months. The wait isn't that long. It goes by quickly. 

Michelle46
on 6/16/15 7:34 pm

I came through the Red Deer clinic I was about 10 months from referral to surgery.  I think it may take a little longer now as there are more and more people being referred from other areas.  It also depends on how long you take to complete the steps they require. 10% weight loss (as mentioned), psyc evaluation, monthly nurse and nutritionist appointments, throat being scoped (forget the fancy name for it), sleep apnea test if that applies...I think that's it.  

It's all worth it and will help you in the long run...I know the wait seems long but before you know it you'll be trying on skinny jeans and trying to remember who that person is in your old photos lol

Good luck!

Starting Weight 265/ Current Weight 127
Surgery: 12/2013

ShellaB
on 6/18/15 5:18 pm

I am in the Calgary clinic and after my referral was sent I started classes 5 months after.  I just had my VSG surgery on June 1 of this year.  so from time I finished my classes to time I had surgery was a full year.  But now that I am on 2 1/2 weeks post surgery, I am so happy I put in the time. 

Good luck!

CalgaryGal_40
on 6/19/15 4:08 pm - Canada

I was referred to the Calgary clinic from my doc Dec 2013, intake assesment was Jan 2014. Classes was Feb/March 2014 in between nurse visits and appointments. Surgery March 2015. So for me it was about a year and 1 month for the whole process. There were a few ladies in my classes that were about the same time give or take a month. If you do what they ask of you and no other major health problem the wait isn't that long.

Out_Going_One
on 6/21/15 4:32 pm - Calgary, Canada

I think you would have to start fresh in the clinic.  In Calgary, two of us have stared a Facebook closed group.  There are a few members that have already had surgery, some who have dates for surgery and some who are brand new.  If you are interested, please let me know and I can message you the information.

Sleeved by Dr.Debru at Peter Lougheed Hospital, Calgary, AB on January 7, 2016

HW 283 SW 271.5 CW 222  GW 180

Most Active