New to this whole adventure

scomeau83
on 6/29/15 1:32 pm - Fort McMurray, Canada

Hello!  What a welcoming group - I've been reading of the threads but I'm hoping to get a bit more details on my questions...

1.  I weigh 260 lbs - multiple attempts at weight loss, once success where I lost 30 lbs and then gained 50 over the next four years.  It has been devastating.  My doctor is a health nut marathon runner and I'm scared to ask about the referral.  Do you have any tips on speaking to your doctor about the referral?

2.  I live in Fort McMurray and am prepared to travel for surgery.  Is my preference to stay in my own province to explore this surgery.  Do you have to pay out of pocket when going through the referral process?  How much does this cost?  How do you know if your insurance covers this?

3.  I am 32 years old - has anyone noticed if your age affects the referral process?

I appreciate your detailed answers and hope to get to my next stage with your support :)

Thank you!

Andream33
on 7/1/15 5:46 am - Drayton Valley, Canada

Hi Scomeau83, I am new to this process myself. I just got my referral 2 weeks ago. I had made an appointment with my new doctor cause my other was leaving. When I got there I explained what I wanted to do and he said he had no problem. Asked me to start doing the Weight Wise modules and by the time my next appointment with him for my medical I had all but 4 left to do. (Just over a month from appointment to appointment.) I spent 2 hours there and just as we were done with everything else I asked for my referral and he said no that the weight wise modules would do me just fine. I told him at that point that I wanted to still go and e answer was no. Went home with smoke coming out me ears. The next morning I had gone to the Primary Care Network that just opened up in Drayton Valley the day before and that wasn't much help cause you need a referral. Felt hopeless. She asked if I wanted to see a dietician and yes because I was willing to try anything. But needed a referral. She said she was going to make some calls and find out for me. So back to my truck I went and called the Bariatric clinic I wanted to go through and explained to them what happened. The lady was so sweet and said to give her a bit and she would call me back. It wasn't even an hour and she called back to tell me that I could even go to a walk in clinic to get the referral. I was also told to report the orginal doctor as he was asked for the referral and we as patients are allowed to have what the health system offers. Right after that call ended the dietician called and because she works out of the hospital I didn't need the referral cause I was taking the weight wise modules.  I called and got into a walk in clinic that takes appointments the next day. I was in that doctors office for 15 min with my referral. He told me to call the office in a week or so and make sure it got done. Last Friday I did that and the referral was in with a response that they wanted blood work done. Had to chase for that paper work a little bit but got my blood work done yesterday! 

Please feel free to private message me.

Andrea 

mornings
on 7/1/15 10:53 pm - Canada

hello  I actually was in the hospital  with a  wonderful lady also from fort Mcmurray  and  she expressed it was no time for her and she had her surgery  done ,,  they do take in account where you live but  I will be honest and say  if you can do the modules  please take the time and do them , its amazing what you learn  you  will have such a better understanding and it helps with your after surgery as well ,,,    your age is fine they wont refuse you because of being 32  they will  do follow ups on your health and the methods  you tried to  lose weight ,,  they are a wonderful team  when you get your referral you will  be  on your way to a healthy you   and yes alberta health covers  the surgery  also covers a panni once you lose the weight and maintain it ... I would express to your doctor  you need this tool to help you to a new healthy  you...  all you can do is ask to at least be assessed by weight wise in Edmonton  right ,  good luck  I will keep my fingers crossed all goes well for you

Gfish79
on 7/20/15 7:58 pm

Welcome! I am from Fort McMurray and had surgery Sept 2014 in Edmonton. Your family doctor can refer you to any clinic in Alberta (wait times are different at each clinic). Referal to first appointment takes about 1 year right now. The only thing you will pay for out of pocket is travel, food and accomidations if needed while you are in the city.  Save all of your receipts and claim it on taxes. AHS covers the doctors visits, surgeries so you don't have to worry about insurance coverage. Unless you have coverage for travel expenses (I didn't). When the clinic booked my appointments, they would book them all one day or over two days to limit my travel. As far as I know age does not affect the referal at all. Hopes that helps :) 

JessDee
on 8/10/15 7:04 pm - Canada

Hi scomeau83,

How did you make out with the referral? I am starting the weight wise classes on Aug 28th and was curious to see what the process is...any insight would be appreciated.  I am located in Fort McMurray as well :)

Most Active