Need help explaining to my husband

TRACEYLYNN
on 7/23/15 5:37 pm - Calgary, Canada

I need help explaining to my husband why once we loose the pre op weight required why do we still need surgery and why we can't just keep loosing the weight without the surgery. I can't explain the reason effectively so it will satisfy his question. Can someone help me with this please .:) thank you so much

Tracey Dick-Olson

TrulyPhoenix
on 7/24/15 12:12 am - Calgary, Canada

Hi Tracey,

I had the same thoughts early on!  I've been following these boards for months and there's a definite theme.... losing the weight is hard work, but it's even harder to maintain it! The pre-op diet is very restrictive, and sticking to an 800 calorie diet for more than a couple months with a full-sized stomach would be highly unlikely.  You'd always be hungry and it would be very easy to have a 'cheat day'... which leads to an extremely slippery slope.  That's why this surgery is so beneficial, you'll have this 'tool' for life of a very tiny/narrow stomach that limits your intake and also reduces (or eliminates) the sensation of hunger.  

I am currently waiting for my orientation letter from Red Deer, but wanted to prepare myself for success.  Since my referral at the end of April I've lost about 15lbs per month, just by tracking everything on MyFitnessPal with a limit of 1600 calories.  Due to my high starting weight it seems pretty easy to lose right now, but I know it's going to start to slow down and become harder and harder to lose on my own.  Reducing the calories to 800 will be very tough when the time comes, but with the support of the clinic and knowing there's an end goal of surgery will definitely help!

My husband is extremely supportive, to the point where he's actually following the same diet as me to help keep me on track.  He of course has had questions/concerns about the whole process/surgery, and this site has been an amazing resource for us!  I recommend using the search or cross-posting your question on the Vertical Sleeve and/or the General Discussion board, as you'll get amazing support and answers from the people there :)

Best of luck!

Phoenix

TRACEYLYNN
on 7/24/15 3:29 am - Calgary, Canada

Ank you so much for your reply it actually answered my question beautifully. My husband is also very supportive and will ensure I follow the Dr.s orders to the letter. It was just a question that I couldn't explain. Hey maybe we will be in the same orientation session :)

Tracey Dick-Olson

Most Active