thyroid problems

bmacon
on 1/10/07 8:36 am - Asheboro, NC
Does anyone know if having a thyroid problem and having to take meds for it will keep you from having WLS?
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 1/10/07 11:53 am - Tucson, AZ
I take thyroid medication and it didn't keep me from having the surgery.
bmacon
on 1/10/07 11:58 am - Asheboro, NC
I just got the results of the thyroid pannel I had done before I get into the program and my pcp called me in a prescription, he said its function was very low.I was so worried that this could keep me from getting the wls.
Ginger
on 1/11/07 12:31 pm - Chandler, AZ
Hi Benita, Are you in the process of trying to get your surgery approved??? If so, having a thyroid problem can be just another co-morbitity to add to your list of reasons to have the surgery! I too had a very low thyroid function and was on the generic of synthroid. After my surgery, I quit taking it because of the blood thinners that I was on at the time. All my blood panels since then have come back saying that my thyroid was now in the "normal" range. My doctor "yelled" at me the other day for "taking myself off" my meds. I guess he didn't notice earlier. Now I have to have another more complete panel drawn to see if my thyroid problem was weight related or if it was the kind of thyroid problem where you are supposed to take that little pill everyday for the rest of your life. I really hope I made just a little bit of sence....I have a cold and the Co-tylenol has totally thrown me for a loop! Good luck Benita. I hope you get appoved soon! I'm off to HugsGinger
bmacon
on 1/12/07 11:21 am - Asheboro, NC
thanks! that is incouraging. I just sent my packet off yesterday to the Bariatric center that I have selected. I guess they will call me after they get it to set up a consultation. I am getting excited and beginning to think that this could really happen!
Wendella
on 1/11/07 8:36 pm - Mesa, AZ
If I read your question right. No you can have surgery while you are still taking your thyroid meds. I am proof of that one.-LOL
dfavre
on 1/14/07 3:38 pm - Maricopa, AZ
I have a low thyroid also. However, my problem is that the doctor can't get my dosage correct! I was on 50mg. tablets, then it was too low. They gave me 75mg., it was too low. Then they gave me 1.00mg, and it was too high! Ugh! The gal at Scottsdale, said that they won't do the surgury until it levels out. So, since I have all these different scripts at the pharmacy, I just refilled the 75mg. prescription, and will see if it worked. I sure as heck don;t feel like waisting another $15 copay on my PCP!
Most Active