Chicken

pwrightt
on 1/28/07 6:50 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Oh my goodness. I just ate chicken for the first time since my surgery. It was deli chicken cut in paper thin slices. I even broke that up and put a litte fat free mayonise on it. Now I have been eating Turkey and no problem. Excuse me but all I want to do right now is throw up. Its just sitting in my stomach and I feel horrible. Now I truly know what "dumping" is all about. How long will this horrible feeling last? Pam
Nicole W.
on 1/28/07 6:54 am - Cave Creek, AZ
Hi Pam... Ughhh, what a horrible feeling huh? It might be the mayo, not the chicken. If you can, throw it up! You will feel SO much better. Don't be afraid to try the chicken again, chew it really really really good. Chicken is hard for a lot of post ops... being almost 13 weeks I don't have a problem with it anymore, but the first 2 months it was very dry and tough on the pouch. Try it again without the mayo, if it happens again it just might be the chicken. I didn't know they had Chicken Deli Meat? Where did you get it? Maybe it has preservatives in it that just don't agree. Hope you feel better! ~Nicole
pwrightt
on 1/28/07 6:59 am - PHOENIX, AZ
Yes I got it at Fryes. I am so sick right now. My husband took a slice or two to make sure the chicken wasn't bad and he loved him (oh good for him). I will go and try to throw it up. I feel so sick right now. Pam
M. clarke
on 1/28/07 7:12 am
The mayo might not be bad Pam. It may just be your stomach can't handle it yet. Even though they say we can eat stuff, its not true for everything. My boyfriend ate the fish that night and he was fine. It is all still an experiment. You should try to bring it up if you can. I agree with Nicole you will feel much better if you do. Throw it up and then crawl into bed with a warm blanket to get rid of the chills Once you bring it up you should be done. Sometimes i get dry heaves if my stomach is really upset. That is another reason I would get it out as soon as possible. Maybe I am wrong, but I would think the sooner it was out of your tummy the less it will irritate it.
M. clarke
on 1/28/07 7:00 am
LOL. we were both thinking the same thing Nicole. The mayo/dressing
M. clarke
on 1/28/07 6:58 am
Pam. chicken does that to a lot of RNY's. I am 12 weeks out and I still can't eat it. I don't get dumping with it, but it does hurt my stomach tremendously and I do have to bring it back up. I have had dumping on low calorie dressing. If you are dumping it is possible it is the dressing you put on it even though they say we can eat those things we can't always. I put a little light dressing on my fish one night. I threw up for 5 hours straight, had horrible chills to the point that my teeth were chattering, and even blacked out on the bathroom floor at one point. Dumping sucks!!! They also say heart palpitations are common with the dumping. As far as chicken it is just one of those things if you are game you have to keep trying and keep throwing up. I try it about every two weeks with the same result. Throwing it back up.
Judy M.
on 1/29/07 7:56 am
what is dumping?
M. clarke
on 1/29/07 10:40 am
Basically it is undigested food moving into the intestines and it causes you to dump. Either by throwing up or diarrhea. Anyone can get it, even if they have no surgery, but it is common in RNY patients as they have removed portion of our stomachs that have the enzymes that break down sugars and fats. Therefore they tend to pass into the intestines without being broken down and causes dumping. It is similar to a feeling of food poisoning causing heart palpitations, sweating, vomiting, etc. etc. It is most common the first year after surgery. You can actually continue to eat these foods, and eventually your body will get used to them and stop dumping. Not everyone gets it. For those who do it is a great added tool to keep you from eating things that aren't good for you. At least that is my take on what dumping is. Do the lap bands get a lot of dumping? I'm not sure how much the band actually effects your stomachs???
pwrightt
on 1/28/07 7:01 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I have been feeling so good lately that this has brought me back down to earth. You're right. Now I even have the chills. Pam
Nicole W.
on 1/28/07 7:06 am - Cave Creek, AZ
It is very fustrating... you can for days or weeks without a problem with food and WHAM! something that you love gives you problems. It is very fustrating and heartbreaking. I had the experience on Christmas eve. I absolutely love Outback's Salmon and Veggies. I was eating it and all of a sudden I got really uncomfortable. I went outside to walk around (when I get the tight feeling behind my chest, walking helps), my hiccups started which I knew was a good thing and went to eat some more. Then I just got really sick and went outside and threw up. I think the salmon was bad, but I was so upset because I never had problems with it and so wanted to eat it. I had the same problems with chicken... but it has gotten much better as time went on. Try drinking some hot tea... maybe that will help with your pouch being upset.
Most Active