anyone have experience with a Dr. Fountis?sp and her medically supervised weight loss

dkh13
on 8/3/09 1:09 pm - Cave Creek, AZ

My coworkers are very against WLS; 2 coworkers have done this medically supervised weight loss with a protein sparing foods. Did anyone try this before surgery? How does this compare with surgery?  My coworker has lost 60pounds in 7 months.

Thanks
Dee in Cave Creek

JRinAZ
on 8/3/09 2:33 pm - Layton, UT
On August 3, 2009 at 8:09 PM Pacific Time, dkh13 wrote:

My coworkers are very against WLS; 2 coworkers have done this medically supervised weight loss with a protein sparing foods. Did anyone try this before surgery? How does this compare with surgery?  My coworker has lost 60pounds in 7 months.

Thanks
Dee in Cave Creek

Hey there Dee!

I'm sure your coworkers are jazzed about their current weight loss!  Kudos to them!  ......  I dare say that 99.9 percent of the folks on this support site (and all who have had WLS) have had a successful weight loss attempt or 2 (or a few hundred)!  ....  They all work!  ....  But there are more things to consider than whether one can follow a strict temporary food plan or not.

We generally go the direction of WLS because our medical needs have gotten out of control and the yo-yo dieting is killing our metabolisms.  So, weight loss surgery gives us a tool so that a sensible eating program can attribute to a lifetime of success rather than just a  temporary fix.

I think there are nay sayers in every group.  Funny how they wouldn't talk you out of a heart bypass, or surgery if you have cancer.  But, a surgery that is known to actually cure diabetes and reduce or cure other co-morbidities is discouraged and even ridiculed!

If your pcp and you feel that weight loss surgery is something that you would benefit from then your co-workers need only to know that you'll be having a "lifesaving" surgery and the details do not even need to be any of their business

and as far as comparing their program to post-wls?....Yup! We typically have to be on a high protein/ low carb program for life! 

Good luck with your journey!  Let us know how we can support you! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

dkh13
on 8/3/09 3:13 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks for your reply. Makes sense.  I ask their success rate after 5 years, no one can answer. That is my concern.
I am contemplating the sleeve, as I have had an MI at age 43 - have a stent and must be on aspirin for life. If I miss more than one day of prilosec, I have severe nausea and abd pain (had ulcers before).  So the RNY makes me nervous, but I wonder about needing the malabsorption part.

So I have been lurking here and on the VSG reading everyone's input for some time. I am a RN at Mayo and have met with their new bariatric guy from Chicago. I see the NUT this week for more info... Between heart disease, breast cancer and diabetes, I need to do something, My BMI is just at 36, so I barely qualify.  

Seems to be a wealth of info here and supportive people.  Thanks.
JRinAZ
on 8/4/09 1:14 am - Layton, UT
On August 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM Pacific Time, dkh13 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Makes sense.  I ask their success rate after 5 years, no one can answer. That is my concern.
I am contemplating the sleeve, as I have had an MI at age 43 - have a stent and must be on aspirin for life. If I miss more than one day of prilosec, I have severe nausea and abd pain (had ulcers before).  So the RNY makes me nervous, but I wonder about needing the malabsorption part.

So I have been lurking here and on the VSG reading everyone's input for some time. I am a RN at Mayo and have met with their new bariatric guy from Chicago. I see the NUT this week for more info... Between heart disease, breast cancer and diabetes, I need to do something, My BMI is just at 36, so I barely qualify.  

Seems to be a wealth of info here and supportive people.  Thanks.
I'm not a doc BUT, I'd say you sound like a perfect SLEEVE candidate!  With a low BMI, the malabsorption piece which would make it a Dudenal switch (DS) may even be overkill for you?  And, you definitely need to consider medication restrictions (open to anything with the Sleeve)!

I'm not familiar with the Mayo surgeon's presently but, Hey, it's Mayo right?  Should be "with it" and on top of all the research.  If not, I'd highly recommend Dr. Robin Blackstone for a Sleeve.  She's at Scottsdale Bariatric.

Since you're in "the field"  you realize the importance of doing research so Kudos to you for checking out your options.  I'd recommend going to at least 2 surgeon's seminars...maybe even 3?!!!

I work for a well known plastic surgeon in Scottsdale.  He specializes in body contouring of successful weight loss peeps.  I encourage the people who come in for consults with him to seek out another surgical opinion so they can feel confident in their choice.....  Even MORE important with the interviewing of a Bariataric surgeon.  Checking out their Post-Op care and comprehensive program is perhaps even more important.  Will they be following your labs with you forever?  Do they provide support groups, nutrition counseling, exercise counseling?  etc....and oh YES!  You will need all those things to succeed!

How about attending some of the support groups around the valley?  It's a great "real deal" representation of what's working for people!

Tonight: 
Phx St Luke's at 6:30 - OPEN to Everyone
Banner Gateway at 6:00 - OPEN to Everyone (I'll be at this one this time)
Saturday:
Tempe St Luke's at 1 pm - OPEN to Everyone

Shoot me a note if you want more details

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active