Asked for referral.. now what?

Lolote
on 8/25/12 10:07 pm - AZ
VSG on 07/14/17
 Hey there,

I asked for a referral to dr nguyen today. What is the process from now on?
How long does it take for the dr. nguyen's secretary to call me back? What kind of questions do they ask? Do I have to prepare anything?
Thanks for the help! :)
Nikkal
on 8/26/12 9:38 pm
VSG on 07/18/13
 now, you wait.

no one will call you until an appointment is made, and I'll warn you, the wait list is long. I've been on the list since February - I was told 10 months before a consult; new referrals are being told a year or more.

on westcoast's website there is info on the surgeries they do, as well as a PDF listing the stuff you need to do.

you can start some of it early like I have if you're eager to start making changes. I've read the recommended book, taken the recommended weight loss class with the dietician, and have been journalling my food and exercise since before my referral.

I think the others here have said that if you do everything you're told to do, and experience no delays in testing, AND all the pros think you're ready, you can get the surgery about 6-8 months after the consult. I'm hoping by the time I have the consult the surgeon will see that I've already done a LOT of what they want.

Lolote
on 8/27/12 5:34 pm - AZ
VSG on 07/14/17
 Oh.. So I won't get a call to make an appointment for later? Is there a way to know that I'm on the list or something? 
bbwvixen
on 8/27/12 11:03 pm - Surrey, Canada
 you can keep checking with your doctors office to find out if theyv'e heard anything. Its also a gentle reminder that your waiting.

Lolote
on 8/28/12 1:42 am - AZ
VSG on 07/14/17
 Im confused. Now that I've asked for a referral, shouldn't I be dealing with the bariatric surgery's office rather than my doctor?
Momx4kids
on 9/11/12 12:26 am - Abbotsford, Canada
After you are referred, Dr. Nguyen's office will call you, but sometimes I know my doctors office was told about the appointment just before I was called, or my doctors office would call me and tell me when the appointment was going to be and sometimes,at least for me, I was notified through my doctors office about tests the surgeon wanted me to do.
Rhonda

Most Active