Lap band vs sleeve

Lissy80
on 11/1/12 1:28 am - Surrey, Canada
Hi there, I was going to get my surgery from dr. Woodhead in delta but the day I wa scheduling my consultation Fraser health did something that made the dr stop doing the lap band procedure. I called around and it is around $19000 to get it done at the private clinics in Vancouver so I looked south of the border and I went for a consultation at northwest weight loss center in everet Washington. It costs about $15000 for the lap band and $20000 for the sleeve procedure. I cannot decide which to do. Please help. I am a single mom and need to be back to normal fast so that makes me lean towards the lap band. My worries with the band is that I won't get the results I want, the port will bother me, if I have another child I may get sick so much that the band will slip. Any comments or suggestions will help!
Thanks
Gizzys
on 11/1/12 5:48 am - Canada

The best thing to do is do your research.  You are the one that has to live with the type of surgery you pick.  Personally, I have heard many unsuccessful stories when it comes to the lap band.  There are also many people who have had revisions from lap band to either the sleeve or the RNY because they had complications with the band or they gained all their weight back.  I wouldn't want to deal with the constant fills either.  Yet, I am sure there are some success stories as well.  I had laparoscopic RNY done a year ago.  I was in the hospital for 4.5 days and I recovered at home for 6 weeks.  I could have gone back to work (if I didn't lift) at least 2-3 weeks earlier.  I have lost 119 lbs and have had no complications. The RNY was the right surgery for me.  Check out some of the other forums on OH as well.  Good luck with your decision.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Lissy80
on 11/1/12 5:55 am - Surrey, Canada
Thankyou for your info. I have been researching and I've never had surgery and the recovery is what scares me most but I know this is a once only thing I'm going to be able to do because of the price so it's such a huge desicion. I'm not excited about the fills either. My BMI is only 37 so I don't have a huge amount to lose but I can't excersise so I just keep gaining and I need to stop it. I will post when I figure it out.
Heather Q.
on 11/2/12 4:42 pm - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 04/10/12

Hi Lissy,

Just an FYI. The gastric sleeve and the RNY are covered under BC Medical; there is no out of pocket expense to you. The lap band is not and therefore is done at a private clinic, hence the cost. I had the sleeve done ( my personal choice) on April 10th of this year. I`ve lost 136 lbs both pre & post op combined and have had little to no issues.

The person above is right, the decision is up to you, whatever you feel is best for your life; however, I too, have heard of a lot of revisions done from the lap band due to chronic problems or serious health issues. I again agree, do your homework and decide what you feel is best for you. I went out of the West Coast Bariatrics in Richmond. Maybe they can give you some helpful info. 

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.  Heather

Lissy80
on 11/2/12 4:47 pm - Surrey, Canada
Thanks for your info. I do not qualify for bariactric surgery under the current BMI restrictions so I had to go to a private clinic. The clinic I am going to get my surgery at said they would do any of the surgeries. I'm in the catch 22 where my BMI is too high to be healthy and I am disabled and not able to lose the weight but too low to have it covered by bc medical. I've done so much research and its six of one, half dozen of another but I appreciate any input you have.
Thanks
Momx4kids
on 11/6/12 9:38 pm - Abbotsford, Canada

If I  had to choose, I would do the sleeve over the lap band. I have seen many great results, fast recoveries and little complications. I had RNY last may in Victoria and am a mother to six. I was in hospital for 2 days, and was feeling great in 4 days. I was back to 'normal' activities almost right away.

Rhonda

Lissy80
on 11/6/12 11:54 pm - Surrey, Canada

After doing my research and weighing my options I have decided to go with the sleeve. I think I can do the recovery ok and it's not going to cost $5000 more, it's only about $2500 more, the other $2500 was for an upper endoscopy. When I went to book my surgery they told me that I needed this before my surgery and as a single mom it's hard enough to get care for my daughter after surgery, I can't go down to the states twice in a week. Anyway, I went in and saw my doctor and she is sending to me to a local surgeon to get it done for free because I have acid reflux and swallowing problem. Last year I had a barium swallow so its the next step anyway. I can wait a month or two more to save that kind of money and have it done close to home. This made my choice much easier. I don't want all the upkeep of the band, I just want my surgery, recovery and not worry about anything else. Thanks for all your information!

Gizzys
on 11/7/12 2:21 am - Canada

Hi - Congrats on your decision. As much as I love my RNY, if the sleeve was an option at the time, I probably would have went that route.  Really... both are great WLS and are so life changing.  Best thing I ever did for myself.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Most Active