WLS Vancouver Island and Active Support Groups

Amerlyn
on 11/28/14 10:58 am - Canada

Hi,

I'm currently on the wait list to see Dr Amson in Victoria BC. I've been looking around but haven't been able to find many people from the area or Active WLS support groups. Does anyone know of any or anyone who is in the General area of Victoria who's had WLS or will be having soon? I'd love to really get some dialogue going, share stories and support each other.

Ukeegurl1
on 12/20/14 2:00 am - Canada

Hello I don't live in Victoria but I do live on Vancouver Island. Dr. Amson did my gastric sleeve Oct 15 2014.  He has long waits in his office so when you get your appointment make sure you have something to do.  I have had no problems with my surgery and literally the weight is just falling off. Contact me if there is anything I can talk to you about. I am new to the surgery but it was well worth it I think :) 

Smoochie70
on 1/4/15 2:57 am - Canada

Hi there. Iam from Victoria. My surgeon is Dr. Malik. I have had my first appt. in December. So i have started my process. Iam lookig for others to talk to and share this journey with me If you are interested feel free to contact me

Kathy

Amerlyn
on 1/4/15 7:52 am - Canada

Nice! I have a friend seeing Dr Malik as well. Her appointment was oct i think. It would be nice to keep in touch and compare jouneys...support each other.

Smoochie70
on 1/4/15 12:12 pm - Canada

u

i w

i would love to stay i touch. i know iam gonna need all the help i can get.

saravmf
on 1/6/15 4:06 pm - Canada

Hello all, I'm also from Victoria (well Sooke), and had VSG with Dr Malik Feb 5th 2014. I'd love to join any support group. I'm 34 and the mother of 7 children, but only have the baby home during the day, so maybe we can meet up for walks of anyone else is free then. Cheers, Sara

HW:334PreopW:304SW:276CW:195 Mth1:24 Mth2:15 Mth3:12 Mth4:10 Mth5:10 Mth6:5 Mth7:10 Mth8:4 Mth9:6 Mth10:7 Mth 11:4

Smoochie70
on 1/7/15 12:38 pm - Canada

Hi Sara. 

Iam so hoping we can start some sort of support group. Even if it starts with us just going for walks and hanging out

and talking. Iam from Langford. How is your weight loss going? How long did you waitt for your surgery? Hope we can chat soon

Kathy

saravmf
on 1/7/15 12:53 pm - Canada

Hi Kathy,

I'm doing pretty well I think. I've lost a total of 165lbs whi*****ludes the 30 I had to lose to show Dr Malik I was serious before he would operate. He used to do things differently before 2014, when they forced him to take on Dr Amson's huge waitlist. In the past, you just had to lose 10% of your body weight, then he'd operate within the next couple months. I was scheduled for Jan 2013, but ended up getting pregnant, so it was put off until Feb 2014. I weighed 304 Jan 5th, when I started the 4 week liquid diet, which was not fun. Lol. It's been fairly easy to lose with mainly focusing on protein first. The nutritionist doesn't advocate for the OH recommended diet, but I find weird the best when you do less than 30gr carbs, lots of water and as much protein as you can get in gradually. I'd love to answer any questions you might have. Just ask away. 

HW:334PreopW:304SW:276CW:195 Mth1:24 Mth2:15 Mth3:12 Mth4:10 Mth5:10 Mth6:5 Mth7:10 Mth8:4 Mth9:6 Mth10:7 Mth 11:4

Smoochie70
on 1/8/15 2:38 am - Canada

wow. you are doing awesome. Way to go. My first Appt. was Dec 6. He didnt tell me to lose any weight before i see him in June. He just told me if i gained any weight i would be kicked out of the program. I have already lost some weight though. My HW was 312. When i saw him i was 288 and my CW is 285. I think he already saw that i was losing weight.  Since the holiday season though i have been having trouble getting back on track with my eating. I have such a busy life it is hard to eat healthy. iam working at it though. Carbs are definitely my weakness. I find that part of my problem with eating though is that i have a husband that i also need to cook for. We actually had a good talk last night and seemed to iron some bumps out. So today is a new day. I know that i will make better progress if i can stay away from the carbs. Iam gonna go through my cupboards today and get rid of a bunch of foods that shouldnt be there. I have a few appts with different people before i see him again. I have my overnight oximetry test on Jan 26th. I also need to see the Nutrionist still. I know that will help. I also need to see the gastroenterologist for a scope of my stomach. Iam sure that i didnt spell that right. lol. Sorry for rambling so much. Iam just starting to sort things out. Thanks for listening. :-)

saravmf
on 1/8/15 2:49 am - Canada

I love hearing other people's stories. It is a bit of a process to get everything started, but it's worth it in the end. Are you getting the sleeve done? The VSG forum has been a great encourager for me and I read it everyday religiously. I'm happy with my results, but I'm getting scared that I'm done losing, when u really want to reach my goal. Dr Malik said I'm what he considers a success, but that I could still try for more if want. I hope I too can get back on the horse since Christmas was a total sugar fest for me. I'd love encouragement, so maybe we can start an accountability group where we check in every once in a while to keep each other on track. I know I need too detox off of sugar/carbs and get my head in the game, but I totally understand about your issue with cooking for a husband. I also have 7 kids, so carbs are everywhere! My husband was great for my original loss and did his own healthy eating plan and ended up losing a bunch himself, but recently was in a car accident, which has left him out of work and not at active. He's gained a lot back and is totally into snacking, so it's making it harder for me. I've told him that I need his support again, and I think he's ready for a change too, so we'll see how we do. I'm going to aim for a protein shake every morning to at least start off right. That way if I end up snacking on something shouldn't, at least I'll be mostly full from protein and won't be able to do too much damage. Good luck with a new day! 

Most Active