My moment this morning.

Smoochie70
on 1/26/15 2:58 am - Canada

So my little brother graduated from UVIC in June. He just posted pics from the big day. I saw myself and the reality of just how big iam. It totally reaffirmed the decision i have made to have surgery. Holy crap what a reality check. 

Bcal2015
on 1/27/15 11:41 am
RNY on 07/11/16

Im feeling the same way.  When is your surgery or have you had it yet?

Good luck!

Smoochie70
on 1/28/15 1:46 am - Canada

I have not had my surgery yet. Dont even have the date yet. I have had my first appt with the surgeon though. So iam at the beginning of my journey.  Where are you at in the process?

Bcal2015
on 1/28/15 1:55 am
RNY on 07/11/16

That's so exciting you have an appointment with the surgeon.  Im really in the early stages....just got my referral to the Richmond Bariatric Center  So I think you are about 2 years ahead of me.  It's such a drag that it takes so long.  Oh well, I guess patience is a virtue.

Smoochie70
on 1/28/15 7:12 am - Canada

it actually didnt take very long for me. My referral went in August and i had my first appt in December. I have already had 1 of the tests done that the surgeon requires. I have my next in June. I have already made some lifestyle changes though. I hope you do well on your journey.

Gwen04
on 2/11/15 5:57 pm

Good luck with your journey! What is your plan for your diet meanwhile? 

Smoochie70
on 2/12/15 3:42 am - Canada

First thing was to get rid of junk food and fast food. Next getting rid of carbohydrates.  I have made some progress in these areas already. Still have a long way to go. I already am good at drinking lots of water, so that is ok.  i have difficulty with night time snacking. I try and eat fruit at night now. or popcorn. Another struggle is with not eating regularly enough. I will not eat sometimes until like 1 in the afternoon and then iam starving. Iam more likely to eat too much and not what is good. I had started on protein smoothies in the morning and then i got really sick before Christmas and havent been able to get back on track again. I had been riding my bike lots in the summer and early fall and then i injured my back. I havent rode since then. Gonna try and get back on my bike soon as the rain stops. Our winters here are rain and more rain.  I have been managing to slowly losing though. I saw the surgeon in December and i was 288lbs and today i weighed and iam 275. I must be doing somethings right.  I know i need to reach out more and talk. It is difficult though. I have been spending lots of time reading on this site and getting lots of info though. Thanks for listening to me ramble on. 

Gwen04
on 2/12/15 4:56 am

You're welcome, I'd love to help! Be careful of what kinds of carbs you're getting rid of! Carbs break down into glucose and our body needs that for energy (the brain uses only glucose for energy). Eat complex carbs (like whole grains) so the glucose is released into the blood slowly. Or you can eat more fiber which helps with sugar levels too.

I know it's tough (I struggle with the same problem) but do make sure you are eating regularly. It prevents your body from cravings that you'll regret succumbing to! You'll notice a difference once you keep up a good routine. You're seeing results no matter the speed of your progress, keep it up! 

Smoochie70
on 2/12/15 9:46 am - Canada

Thanks Gwen. I know i have a long way to go. My weight has been a struggle for my whole life. I can seem to lose a certain amount of weight then i just gain it all right back. I guess iam needing to understand more about which carbs are good. If i eat too much gluten my bowel stops working all together. That is a tough one for me. Cravings and emotional eating are huge for me. i have so many things i need to change. If i think about all of them at once i just get overwhelmed. Being overwhelmed makes me wanna eat. It can be a bit of a vicious cycle. Iam also struggling with how to get my husband on board with healthy eating too. He needs to lose weight as well. So my journey will also benefit him. 

Gwen04
on 2/18/15 3:29 pm

I understand what you mean. Maintaining weight loss is so hard, something so many of us struggle with. I think consistency is key and I think having support is so important. It'd be so great for the both of you if your husband was on board. What are his reasons for not making some lifestyle adjustments? 

Most Active