My next step in the journey.

Smoochie70
on 2/19/15 8:59 am - Canada

Got my appt date for the orientation to the Bariatric Surgery program. April 1st. Excited and nervous. 

Bcal2015
on 2/19/15 12:08 pm
RNY on 07/11/16

Congratulations!! That's fantastic. You will be starting before you know it. 

tamarag55
on 3/2/15 8:12 am - Port Moody (outside Vancouver), Canada

Hi! I just did my orientation last week, at the Victoria Clinic. Are you Richmond or Victoria? It was a lot to take in - if you can take someone with you, who will be with you for the long haul, it will help -  It is a lot of information and a but daunting. Also: ask questions! Don't be afraid to speak up! Questions are your friend! They are amazing and tell us lots, but there is always more to know. At least that is true for me! I am still reviewing everything and gathering the tools - that is how I got here! take good care and best of luck!

Smoochie70
on 3/2/15 11:03 am - Canada

Hi there. Iam at the Victoria Clinic also. Wow that is great you have had your orientation. Did you learn lots? What type of surgery are you hoping to have? Who is your surgeon? My husband will be going with me. He needs to learn lots too. Who did you take with you? I found this group through another friend on the mainland that had surgery many years ago. Best of luck to you too. Hopefully we can chat some more. 

tamarag55
on 3/8/15 5:14 am - Port Moody (outside Vancouver), Canada

I don't have a surgeon yet. I am a patient of Dr. Zentner, she is the internist running the program. I see her tomorrow, go for my test for sleep apnea soon then hurry up an wait! I've got all my tools now, I just have to start using them. I quit smoking and I am walking every day, swimming or aquafit 3 times a week. I really want my fat/muscle ratio to change ahead of surgery so I will be strong through recovery; I also respond better when I can feel muscles/strength. One day at a time. Though sometimes I think it will be one moment at a time for me. I bought cake and ice cream last night and ate a bowlful. So I got up this morning and  ate properly, then danced as I went through all my clothes & got rid of all the 26 and 28 sizes of everything as I have been wearing clothes that are too big for me. The cake is in the food waste bin and the ice cream is being brought to a neighbour for their kids.

Learned a lot! The dietician/nurse, Carla, is amazing and careful and kind. I took my wife. She was not quite on board until we went. The presentation was helpful to her too, ( she has WAY more comorbidities than I do) and she understands the process now. We got some books and have been reading blogs. Our relationship is going to change, a lot. A lot of our life is food centred, one of the places we struggle is around food too. Codependancy polka! We are both food addicts who are also enablers! So working together will be key for both of us. Small changes already, and lots of kindness each day.

I wish you luck! enjoy the journey! I am not in the habit of coming here often yet, but I'll pick it up and check back in !

Tamara

Gwen04
on 3/3/15 1:18 am

Congrats! 

Most Active