Things got a bit more real today

Smoochie70
on 4/1/15 3:09 pm - Canada

So today i had my orientation at the Bariatric Clinic here in Victoria. Learned a bunch of new stuff. Already knew quite a bit of what they had told us. Got the requisition for blood work and my ECG. Today made it start to feel more real. Not gonna lie iam feel more than a little nervous. 

Shainsley
on 4/9/15 6:03 am - Canada

How exciting - glad to hear that you are making progress and getting nearer to surgery! I have my group orientation on April 27th and will meet with Carla that same day as I'm travelling from Vancouver. I've done all of the tests and have Dr. Zentner's approval so I'm excited to be getting closer as well.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Smoochie70
on 4/10/15 2:17 am - Canada

Thanks for the reply. I got a call from Carla yesterday. I have an appointment booked for June 26th with doctor Zetner and Carla. Getting excited and nervous. Just looking at the self assessment i have to do felt a bit overwhelming. Who is you surgeon?

Shainsley
on 4/13/15 6:22 am - Canada

That is exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time. I just saw Dr. Zenter again on Wednesday and she said my appointment on the 27th is the last box I need to check off before surgery. I'm on the list for whichever surgeon has a shorter wait, so I'm not sure who it will be! Dr. Z. also said I'd be having a sleeve rather than an RNY.

Happy to hear that you will meet with her on June 26th. She is a fantastic advocate for her patients, she understand the process and the difficulties we face as she has been there herself. It is tough love with Dr. Zenter - she's a no-nonsense, honest and encouraging woman.

Best of luck!

nbrowne
on 4/15/15 9:27 am, edited 4/15/15 9:28 am - Nanaimo, Canada

Hi there, Im just curious how long it took you to hear from the Bariactric Clinic in Victoria. I have my refereal sent from my Doctor to Dr Amson Feb 2014 and just found out about this new clinic and that my file has now been sent there. I dont know anything about the new bariactric program or how long its going to take for me just to see someone, not even sure what the first step is. Any help you can offer is much appreciated :)

LCVAN
on 6/11/15 9:51 am

which new clinic are talking about.  There is one in Richmond and the Victoria one.  I am on the list in Richmond, wait time is 2 years

Smoochie70
on 4/15/15 10:45 am - Canada

Hi there  Well i had my first appt with Dr. Malik on In December 2014. Got the date for the orientation March of 2015. Had the orientation April 1st. 2015. My understanding is that Dr. Amson has a much bigger case load than Dr Malik so it might take a bit longer. Just keep doing things that you need do to get yourself ready. The Bariatric Program is wonderful. Carla the nutritionist is great. I have another appt. with her and Dr. Zetner in June. Hope this has answered some of your questions. Good luck on your journey. 

Ayorama
on 4/21/15 12:57 pm - Surrey, Canada

I saw Dr Amson the first time in September 2012, and have been waiting ever since. I did have a gastroplasty in 2001, so Dr Amson is my only choice since he's the one with the experience.  I have no idea who Dr Z is, but have seen CArla a few times.  I saw Jan he first time, and then come to find out that Carla is who you have to see, not Jan.  

I am so very frustrated with the program in Victoria.    A friend of mine saw dr amson in 2013 for the first time and then was asked last summer if she wanted to see malik and had her surgery in November.  I have done everythign asked of me, gone to see CArla, Jan and all the doctors for all the tests, and yet I still sit here waiting.  

If you have the opportunity to see someone other than Amson, do it!!  I've talked to people who have waiting 7years to get into surgery with Amson.  Carla keeps telling me "soon"... but still I wait.  my friend in now in onederland and I still wait.

So who is Zetner?  waht does this person do?

Amerlyn
on 5/11/15 12:54 am - Canada

This is really disheartening I saw dr Amson feb 2015 after being refered in June 2013 and he told me that it can take up to a year. Which I expected but you are saying you were approved and ready to go in 2012 but still haven't had it???? That seems almost irresponsible of him to make people wait so long. I did talk to one lady in his waiting room and from the sounds of it he wasn't willing to do surgery on her because of her medical history so he kept telling her she needed to lose more. Frustrating...i certainly don't want to waste even more time waiting for him to get around to doing surgery even if he's reputed to be the best in BC.

hope things work out for you!!

Sandi

tamarag55
on 5/30/15 10:55 pm - Port Moody (outside Vancouver), Canada

Dr. Zentner is the internist who now runs the clinic. She just took over this year. Her own practice is in Vancouver. She is my doctor and I got into the Victoria program quickly because of that. I have my appointment with Dr. Malick booked for July. I would call Carla at Royal Jubilee and ask if she can book you an appointment to meet Dr. Zentner. Not sure how often she is at the clinic but it is worth a shot. She is touch but kind and compassionate and from what I can see is trying to change the way the clinic is run. Good luck!

Most Active