LOOKING for some people going through similar

nbrowne
on 4/15/15 8:54 am - Nanaimo, Canada

I currently live in nanaimo BC my doctor sent in a referral to Dr amson Feb 2014 I'm still waiting of course, just talk to Dr amson's office and found out there is a new bariactric program at one of Victoria's hospital and my file has been sent to them, has anyone heard of this new program? I'm feeling so desperate to have the process started. The wonderful receptionist at Dr. Amson office did say I will hopefully hear something by June..... Anyway just looking for others going through similar process in Victoria or even BC. 

L_Ballantyne1962
on 4/15/15 3:03 pm - Canada

I am currently going through the bariatric program at Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria. I live in Vancouver. I am a patient of Dr. Zentner. Started seeing her last September. I went to Royal Jubilee the middle of March for my orientation, Meet with Dr. Malik ( who I believe works from Royal Jubilee with Dr. Amson) I also saw the Dietician at that time. I was sent home with blood work to be done and an ECG. I also had to be tested for Sleep Apnea which I have mild Sleep Apnea. Now, I am waiting not sure what is next. I am hoping to have the gastric sleeve. I have lost 34 lbs since last October. Let me know how you are doing. All the best. It is a tough process but so worth it I believe. Laura Ballantyne

Shainsley
on 5/6/15 3:42 pm - Canada

Hi Laura! I'm currently going through RJH, am from Vancouver and am also a patient of Dr. Zentner's:) Curious to know if you've heard anything further about what is next for you as you await surgery? I, like yourself, have done the orientation, bloodwork ecg, sleep test, meeting with Carla etc. but am not sure what is next now! I do still need to meet one of the surgeons but am still excited to be heading in the right direction!

L_Ballantyne1962
on 5/6/15 4:16 pm - Canada

Hi Shainsley, How are you? I got a call from Michelle at the Bariatric Program in Victoria last week she said they were waiting for my compliance report from the Sleep Clinic well I had just had my appt with the clinic for that. So I had the sleep clinic fax it to Michelle and then Michelle called two days later to tell me that Dr. Waters (respirologist) looked at my compliance report and said I did not need to make a trip to Victoria he was happy with my report and I have been CLEARED for surgery and I am now on the surgical waitlist....back to waiting. LOL!!! But I have completed all the hoops. I will have to have a visit with Dr. Malik (surgeon in Victoria) before my surgery will be booked I believe. I don't see Dr. Zentner again until June 8th. How are you doing in your progress?

Shainsley
on 5/7/15 3:08 pm - Canada

I'm good! I also heard from Michelle that all of my test results are in (a few minor 'out of range' results from the bloodwork and mild sleep apnea, but still cleared for surgery too)!So now I will be called by the surgeon's office and will need to go over to the island for an appointment before surgery. Excited! Obviously they can't say how long it will be, but it will be before the end of the year which is great.

It sounds like we're on a very similiar schedule - I see Dr. Z in her new office on June 3rd. I'm going to start checking flyers to see if the Glucerna or Boost Diabetic for pre-op go on sale...I checked at Superstore last night and they are $11.50/6pk. Also I like the "what you need" section in the Weight Loss Surgery book and I've made a list of things to get beforehand. I guess the nice thing about waiting is that there's lots of time to get organized.

Keep in touch:)

Kim

L_Ballantyne1962
on 5/7/15 8:13 pm - Canada

Hey Kim, Congratulations on your progress. I also have mild sleep apnea and am using the CPAP equipment at night for sleeping. I am sleeping much better. Yes, I hope you are right that surgery will be before the end of the year. I also have been looking into the cost of things and what I will  be needing. How are you finding your support system, my friends are all very supportive, my son is very supportive but my boyfriend is supportive but doesn't really understand why I would put myself through this. He tells me I am perfect the way I am. He is worried about complications. But weight is not something he has struggled with in his life. I know he will be there for me, as he always has been but he is not excited like I am. I do hope that changes. I know it is very important to have a strong support system.

Daniel88
on 6/10/15 8:27 am

Hi Kim 

i have been been shopping around and have found that Rexall and Shoppers Drug Mart seem to be the best places to buy Glucerna and Boost Diabetic. The regular price is comparable to Superstore, but every time I go in, there is a sale on one of them for $7.99 per 6 pack. 

Hopefully this will help save you a few dollars. 

Daniel

Shainsley
on 6/12/15 3:55 pm - Canada

Thanks Daniel! For some reason I never think of Shoppers, I'll definitely be on the lookout for their flyer now. I did see Dr. Zentner again yesterday, and she mentioned a shake for pre-op that I haven't heard of before, it's called Slim Time and must be ordered online. Perhaps I'll buy some of that too just to mix it up when it comes time for pre-op.

Kim :)

Reicken
on 7/22/15 10:36 pm - Victoria , Canada

Walmart sells Glucerna shakes for $8.97 regular price.

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

Lovady69
on 4/22/15 2:47 am - Kelowna , Canada

I am new here and thinking about surgery I have seen Dr Amson and I have an appt Aug 14th to see dr Zentner, Dr Moldoveanu and a group orientation with Carla. I was woundering if anyone else out there has gone through this and wondering if anyone has a suggestion where I could stay for a couple of nights as I am from Kelowna B.C. I am very nervous about going through the steps to weight loss surgery!

Most Active