What are the wait times in bc for gastric sleeve surgery?

Tygirl85
on 8/25/15 9:16 pm

What are the wait times in bc for gastric sleeve surgery?

Reicken
on 8/26/15 8:52 pm - Victoria , Canada

Depends year to year on the budget that the health authorities have for surgery and your success at going through the program. I believe it took me between 2 and 2.5 years to go through the process start to sleeve.

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

James_chambers
on 8/27/15 6:37 pm

From my orientation meeting to surgery was 6 months. Probably about a year from my Dr's referral to orientation. Hope that helps. 😊

L_Ballantyne1962
on 8/28/15 10:53 pm - Canada

From my orientation and meeting surgeon to sleeve was 6 months. From my referral to Dr. Zentner and the start of losing weight and starting program was 1 year. I meet Dr. Zentner at the end of August 2014 and had my surgery August 12th 2015. My surgeon was Dr. Malik....fabulous doctor. He is strict and no nonsense but truly a brilliant surgeon. Dr. Zentner was a gift to me, she is also no nonsense and direct but supportive and a great encouragement. Best decision I ever made was to go ahead with the sleeve. Since my surgery on August 12th I have lost 20lbs as of August 27th. I am still learning and adjusting to my new way of life but I feel so good and feel like for once in my life I have the tools to be successful on my journey to better health. It is new for me to put myself first and to care enough about myself. So I guess what I am saying is the wait time is worth it and just follow the instructions of your doctor. If you have the opportunity to work with Dr. Zentner  or Dr. Malik I give them 5 stars. Laura

Amerlyn
on 9/11/15 7:54 pm - Canada

It really depends on your success as well as what Dr you are referred to. Lam and Malik have faster first appointment dates. Amson is the surgeon who's been doing these surgeries the longest but it takes over a year and a half to get in to see him. And he has some people on his wait list that have been waiting 5yrs for surgery. Now that could be because they really aren't ready yet I don't know. 

Shainsley
on 9/29/15 11:16 am - Canada

There seems to be so much variation in wait times. I think there are a few things that factor into how quickly the waitlist moves. I started seeing Dr. Zentner in 2011, and she put me on the waitlist for Richmond immediately. I never heard anything. Then 1 year ago, when she became the Director of the Victoria Bariatric program she moved me over to their list. I had my orientation in April, lots of testing done in the spring, met with Dr. Malik in August and now have my surgery (VSG) scheduled for November 26th. It has been a very long wait for me (4.5 years from start to finish), but I think that's in part due to the fact that other than obesity (BMi is 40), I don't have any co-mobidities that would've pushed me through the line faster (i.e. no cardiovascular issues, no diabetes, no respiratory or psychological factors either). Your success in the program also plays a part. Also, the program in Victoria is still expanding and now they have a 3rd surgeon.  They are also hopeful to obtain more funding from the gov. for WLS so they will be able to move through the waitlist quicker (for instance, Dr. Malik only has 1 day in the operating room per month for weight loss surgery).

Whether the wait is 1 year or a couple, it is definitely worth it. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you have the chance to work with Dr. Zentner, I highly recommend her.

Kim

Most Active