Question for those who have had surgery

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/15 8:53 am

Hi, my name is Jan and I think my journey to surgery has begun. I say I think, because I am not certain yet if this is the right choice for me.  My consultation appointment is in a few weeks in Richmond and I am looking forward to learning more and what the process is.  However I do have a question for those who have had surgery. I keep reading about the diet and exercise program that we are to follow so my question is this, if pre-surgery you had followed the diet and exercise program was the need still has great to have the surgery?  I guess what I am asking is the life style that must be adopted post surgery I am wondering if adopting that life style pre-surgery would mean surgery could be avoided. 

I have already begun to change my eating habits and walking more then I ever have before.  It is not easy for sure but there sure are some days I feel like a champion for getting it done.

I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Reicken
on 9/21/15 5:09 am - Victoria , Canada

IMHO, adopting the post surgery diet and not having the surgery isn't the greatest idea. The post surgery diet is meant to get your body what it needs primarily, but meant for a smaller stomach. If you don't have surgery, I believe your chances of relapse would be greater unless you ate a balanced diet. The surgery is one of the tools in your 'tool belt'. Its not the solution.

That being said however, if you can modify your eating habits and ramp up exercise to lose weight and keep it off, then by all means that is better than surgery.

Although I cannot speak for others, the reason why I had the surgery is because after trying dieting, exercise (even with a personal trainer) and everything else for years, I wasn't able to lose enough weight, and keep it off. Also, co-morbilities were a factor.

Life post-surgery *IS* life changing. There are alot of things I cannot 'enjoy' now like all you can eat buffets (waste of money given what I can consume), fish and chips (too much fat), etc. There are alot of things I *CAN* enjoy now though, and am looking forward to enjoying like more energy, shopping for clothes at regular stores, not having joint pain, stopping medications, etc.

There are pros and cons to whatever surgery journey you are on. I hope that this gave you a little insight of why I chose to go through it, and welcome any questions you may have about it.

Cheers!

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

on 9/21/15 1:22 pm - Canada

Hi Jan,

Do do go to the orientation for the Richmond program - I had some of the same questions... If you lose weight during the wait period it isn't going to work against you. They work from your initial weight at the first session. Losing weight during that time shows that you are ready to make the needed changes. The info and support in the "lead up" is incredible and will be helpful, even if in the end you aren't offered the surgery or you decide to decline. I've been through it all, and have VGS surgery TOMORROW! I'm excited and SO ready! Good luck on your journey - wherever it leads you.

TJ

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/15 7:49 pm

TJ, thank you for taking the time to reply.  You sound so excited for tomorrow.  This is quite the journey for sure and you are on the next leg of the journey.  Rest  and take it easy.

sarabattlePCOS
on 9/26/15 7:11 pm
VSG on 02/09/16

Hi Jan!

is your orientation on the 30th? If so, I'm in the same group :)

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/15 7:33 pm

Yes mine is Sept 30 in Richmond.  I guess I will see you there.

Most Active