So I've got OSA and a few questions

M1st2be
on 5/9/16 9:04 pm

Had to have a sleep study done to actually complete my referral to the Bariatric program at Royal Jubilee.  And I have moderate OSA (24 AHI per hour).  Not thrilled . . . I know many of my health issues are intimately tied to me being obese but I really didn't want another one on the list.  I didn't even know I had OSA - I knew I snored but would never have thought to be tested except that I needed to for the referral.  Anyways . . . Just wondering if it's a requirement for surgery at Jubilee to be on a CPAP machine and be compliant using it to actually get the surgery?  Anyone OSA and using a CPAP machine?  Do you notice it making a difference in your day to day functioning?

Reicken
on 5/9/16 10:00 pm - Victoria , Canada

If you have been diagnosed with OSA, then the use of the machine will be mandatory pre and post operation. I was diagnosed with OSA, and have used the machine religiously and can tell you that without a doubt, the machine will help. Make sure that you use the machine daily as if you don't use it, they can delay or cancel your surgery.

Everyone is different, but I'm 10 months out and although I choose to use the machine still, I was just told that my latest overnight test showed that I no longer have OSA.

Keep up the good work. Step by step is all you can do! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

M1st2be
on 5/10/16 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply and the info Reicken!

winter_jayne
on 5/9/16 10:11 pm

I have had my machine for 4 years now, for OSA. What a world of difference it has made to my daily life.  For me, I don't think it's doing anything for me, until I miss a night. I wake up with a "stuffy" feeling nose (which is actually inflammation in my nasal passage from snoring) and a dull headache that lasts all day, on top of feeling really really tired.  So now I never ever miss a night, it's a well traveled machine ;)

You will have to have a compliancy report, perhaps you could talk about renting one until after the surgery, if you don't want to own it after your weight drops? 

M1st2be
on 5/10/16 9:52 pm

Thanks WinterJayne.  Never thought of renting a machine - I'll look into it.  But the wait time from referral to actual surgery is so long that I might end up paying just as much to rent a machine as to buy!  LOL!

winter_jayne
on 5/11/16 3:00 pm

Yes! that's a good point!! It'll be great for afterwards too, so being comfortable with "your machine will be nice.

Have you had you referral yet? or are you working on all the pre referral things still.

I asked for a referral and never heard anything about it until they called 14 months later to tell me my orientation date (which was 5 weeks away)so I honestly had NO idea I had been waiting the whole time LOL. took a little stress out of it.

M1st2be
on 5/13/16 7:21 pm

No - I've just been doing the stuff required to put in a referral to the program.  My sleep test was the last thing on the list - so my doctor has sent off the referral . . . now the WAIT!  Nice to hear that your wait was only 14 months - sounds like some people have waited over two years.  I just wish I'd started this process a few years ago - when I first heard about the program.

winter_jayne
on 5/16/16 8:31 pm

I saw Dr Amson about 8 years ago when I firt thought of the surgery, and decided it wasn't the best at that time. they program now is MUCH  different, and the support that I am seeing is making me feel as thought it was worth the wait :) I hope time flies for you! 

Most Active