Dr Referral for WLS

JQMama
on 8/2/16 9:42 pm

Hi,

Saw myfamily Dr today and had him put in a referral for WLS. I'm curious if anyone could give me any information on wait times for consultation as well as things to do while preparing for the long wait?

Thanks!

AnImperfectAngel
on 8/3/16 12:44 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

In Victoria the current wait time from initial referral to surgery is approximately 3 years.

There are definitely things you can and should do to increase your chances of success in my opinion;

1) Educate yourself - learn everything you can from visiting this website and others, watching you tube videos, reading and attending classes like Nutrition and Craving Change

2) Start meal planning and recording everything you eat in MyFitnessPal or on a similar app.

3) Implement regular exercise like walking or swimming

4) Build a support network - create social supports by making friends on sites like OH, join support groups, attend meetings like TOPS

5) Get your mind/emotions right - get counselling to deal with your food-related issues, this will be the key to your long-term success

6) Implement self-care; start taking better care of yourself - meditation, yoga, massage, journaling, pedicure, facial, etc.

7) Start making the changes that you will need to make - eliminate pop, decrease caffeine, don't drink with meals, chew your food really well, limit sodium intake, stop eating fast food, learn to read food labels and so forth

Best of luck to you!

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

Bcal2015
on 8/4/16 9:10 am
RNY on 07/11/16

In Vancouver, its a long wait as well.  I believe it's currently a 2 year wait to get the call for orientation.  I agree with everything written above.

What I also did was get referred to Dr Lyon - Medical Weight Management in Coquitlam.  It was great for helping me with mental issues surrounding food. And to stop the Yoyo dieting.  Its a great program if you are in the lower mainland.

JQMama
on 8/4/16 6:19 pm

Thank you both. I'm waiting to get the call for the place in Burnaby. I greatly appreciate these ideas and I will definitely be working on getting them all started. ?

AnImperfectAngel
on 8/4/16 8:50 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Good luck on your journey!

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

Most Active