Gastric Bypass Nightmare

Dan W.
on 8/30/09 4:02 am - Culver City, Ca
I want everyone to know that the checklist of complications that they say will not happen to you is is a lie. This is my  first oportunity since I have had 2 Gastric Bypasses, 36 Endoscopies, close to 100 Emergency room visits because of my Surgeon Dr Valles, and Surgilite out of Los Angeles. I have kept my silence for too long about what has happened to me. They called me and threatened me not to say anything to anybody specially this forum. I was so scared and juwst wanted to live  past all the complications that I decided to keep silence. But it vwas not fair to all of you who are Thinking, or are in the process of having a Gastric bypass. Forgive me for not thinking of you. I will be posting more real facts about this procedure that your surgeon does not want you to know

MadameJoy
on 8/30/09 4:12 am - Jamestown, CA
Dan, I am very sorry for the problems you have gone through. However, I have had NONE at all!! I am healtier, and happier than I have been in 10 years and I owe it all to my RYN and my surgeon Dr. Coates and his staff.

JOY
Monica P.
on 8/30/09 4:18 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

I think its important that people share their experiences, even the bad ones so that anyone considering gastric bypass can make an informed decision.

HOWEVER - the good, the bad, and the ugly must all be kept in the proper perspective. Your bad experience may not necessarily translate that EVERYONE will have the same bad experience.

I believe the current statistics reflect that 1 in 200 patients will experience some sort of complications.  (even then, not all of them are life-threatening issues.)  So for every horror story you hear there are also 200 sucessful patients you should also give considertion to.

So please share your story, but keep it in perspective so that you do not create irrational fear.

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/09 4:53 am - CA
I am so sorry, Dan, about your experience, and so sad that there ARE physicians doing these surgeries (and others, I'm sure) who are under-prepared, or who under-prepare their patients for something as life-changing as RNY, and the other WLS's.

We here on this board have followed the plight of our friend, Linda, who has had similar medical problems to what you are describing, and she is still struggling.

I don't know why my surgery went well, and other people's do not, but, you are right, it is a cautionary tale. We're not going in for some "quick fix", necessarily...we're going in for major surgery, and people heal differently, and some develop ulcers and scar tissues and strictures that other people never develop.

I'm so sorry, and I wish for you health and that you find a way to reach your goal of a healthy weight, without being constantly treated for emergencies.

God bless you, Dan...and yes, to everyone else... it's up to us to do our homework and be prepared and informed about these sorts of possibilities! Check out your surgical group and your surgeon, too!

Lori

Diane C.
on 8/30/09 6:03 am - Highland, CA
I am glad that you have come to share.  Everyone does need to know that this is not something easy.  You really need to do your homework and you really do need to do it especially on where you make your decision to go. 

I would have had surgery alot sooner, but I had a friend die from gastric bypass (RNY).  My friend was the first death that the doctor has ever had, but it happened.  His doctor was out of UCLA, so it wasn't some fly by night doctor, my friend went somewhere that was well known and a doctor that knew what they were doing.  It just does happen.  We have someone on this board who has had nothing but problems, and she is on here telling what is happening to her. 

I firmly believe that there are too many doctors that are now jumping on the bandwagon so to speak.  I am amazed how many people have surgery who have less than 100 lbs to lose. Who have had surgery without a BMI of less than 40.   It's seems like it is getting to be the thing to do. I think that is where there should be a line drawn.  Less that 100 lbs, you are not qualified for RNY, you should be having lapband.  There are lots of parameters that should be met, but it's just seems to be out of control.  

I am wishing you the best and I hope that now you are on the mend and that your problems are behind you.  I do look forward to hearing your story.

Take care, Diane 
mystimel
on 8/30/09 8:58 am - Long Beach, CA
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I'm not a doctor, so my opinions here are just those, but...... Many deaths and complications occur because people let their obesity go on too long without doing anything about it. My dad badly needs surgery, but he's let his diabetes go on so long I really believe it would be a miracle if he survived at this point. People way over 40 bmi, over 100 lbs overweight are more likely to have problems with surgery than people under. The same goes for any surgery really. Similarly people with diabetes, and other comorbid conditions make it more likely to develop complications during or after surgery. As long as you know the risks and complications and you have a history of struggle with your weight, I don't think it should really matter to some extent what your starting BMI is. I think the line for RNY should be drawn at obesity, not morbid obesity. Furthermore, perhaps the risk is less with lap band overall, but to someone without comorbidities, in better overall health, with a lower bmi, surgery is surgery and the serious complications are equally likely to happen to them in either procedure. Lap band or RNY, it all depends on the kind of help you need and the risks you are willing to take to get help. Your overall asessment of yourself is crucial. And I do believe you must have tried various other diets for years before you decide.
As for me.... After 5 years of dieting, with a strong history of deadly diabetes in my family, and a family history of lifelong obesity,  I decided to have surgery at a time when I was 34bmi. I wanted to lose less than 100 lbs overall, and I would settle for nothing less than a RNY procedure. And... that's what I got. Everything went well, and I've taken control of my life and my weight before they could get out of hand. I don't believe anyone who would say I'm a bad candidate for surgery or I shouldn't have had it. I knew exactly what I was getting into. I know both Linda and my mom ( same day of surgery, same doctor, very different experiences) so before surgery i was able to see how the experience can greatly differ and I knew I had a chance of going through what Linda has. But i also knew the risk was worth it to me. If I had decided to let the bmi rule my decision I may never have had wls. I would probably have gotten diabetes though ,and definitely would have had to have my gallbladder out.
When you know RNY is right for you, considering all of the variables, why should it matter what particular BMI you are at at the time?
SW:230 CW:159 GW:135

Diane C.
on 8/30/09 11:49 am - Highland, CA

I will not talk about this issue on Dans post.

newbarb2
on 8/30/09 7:27 am
Dan,

I am so sorry to hear you have had so many complications and will add you to my prayers that there might be an end to those for you soon. 

It is amazing how some go through so much (like you and Linda) and then there are folks like me who have had no complications.  I have no more diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and my asthma is the best that it's been in 30 years.

As others have said previously, you have to do your homework as you prepare for surgery and know the risks involved.  Once they've had surgery they need to be prepared to change their lifestyle according to their surgeon's advice.

So glad you've joined us for support and please know that we send good thoughts and prayers for you.

Barb 

Living Life
on 8/30/09 10:40 pm - Riverside, CA

I have a few questions.......

1) why 2 Gastric Bypasses? what went wrong with the first?

2) Why so many Endoscopies and 100 Er vistis?

3) what is wrong? WHY so much going on

Are you eating right?
If the doctor are SO bad, why do you keep going back to them.

I guess what I am asking is WHAT IS WRONG??? Or WHAT WENT WRONG?
More info would be helpful..

I am not saying this is, but other have posted about this or that and when you get more info, it was them eating wrong, or drinking the wrong stuff, taking medication that the should not. In other words, it was them, not the surgery.

ONCE AGIAN, I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS YOUR CASE!!!

I do feel bad for you, and I am sorry you are having so much trouble, I wish you nothing but better times

Lu

Dan W.
on 8/31/09 12:39 am - Culver City, Ca
My body rejected the surgery. It scared blocking the opening to the stomach, meanining nothing could get through. My surgeon uses a plastic ring to make the pouch for RNY. My body attacked this ring. My surgeon kept me in the Hospital performing Endcopies to try and remove blockages. Finally he cut me open again and removed the ring and scar tiissue. This solved some of the problems, but didn't fix it all. I also have a blind loop, meaning the surgeon cut the RNY the wrong way , and anything going down deadends, causing throwing up, etc.  So staying hydrated is very hard. I moved from a climet by the Beach of 85 H to sacramento where it gets to 103 .  For example right now, I am dehdrated, and I need an IV.  As soon as I get an IV I feel like a million bucks, without it I feel terrible. A sip of water goes down, then gets stuck, then comes back up, thisn is the problem. I have lost my insurance  so no more surgeries can be performed. I hope this helps explain the situation better
Most Active