Dry heaving?? Stricture?? Was in the hospital for a week

LatinaMom209
on 4/24/10 11:54 am - Merced, CA
Hello everyone,

I posted this on the main board but i'm looking to see if i can get any more advice on this....Thanks to Elizabeth (Bebaugh) she said some people on this board may have experienced the same problem.....So here it is..

Well about two weeks ago I posted a topic because I was not able to hold anything down and was very nauseous.  I could not even hold down water and it had been  about 3 days of that with each day getting worse.  I had my RNY on 2/26 and had been doing pretty good up until that point.  Thanks to everyone's advice on here I called my doctor right away and he admitted me into the hospital to they could check everything out.  They did a cat scan of my stomach (which showed I have a Sist in my ovaries) but everything else was fine.  They did an endoscopy and said I had a stricture which they fixed and they did an ultrasound of my GallBladder which showed that my gallbladder was very inflamed and had a lot of stones, so they removed my gall bladder.  I also was running really low on my potassium levels so they did potassium tranfusiion through the IV.  After all this I was in the hospital from 4/11-4/17 about a week.  The day I got out and the day after I felt fine but now I am dry heaving throughout the day.  I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.  I am on full liquids  till monday because of the procedures I had done.  After I eat and drink I am dry heaving.  I'm not throwing anything up but get nauseous and feel the need to throw up.  I just gag and gag but do not throw anything up several times throughout the day.  I hope this feeling goes away soon.  It is really ruining my days and I hate the way I have been feeling.  Has ANYONE else experienced this dry heaving problem??? I really need some advice I don't know what is causing it at this point....As far as weight loss...I'm almost 2 months post-op and have lost about 54 lbs

newbarb2
on 4/24/10 3:39 pm
Good Evening. 

I am SO sorry you have had to go through so much but I am thinking all good thoughts and saying prayers that everything starts turning around for you.  Make sure you are really sipping your liquids and slowly with time in between eating and drinking. 

I have been so fortunate with my surgery and haven't experience any issues but you can be sure I will say lots of prayers for you.

Hugs,
Barb

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/10 7:21 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I've read a few posts where folks have had to take Phenergan (sp?) which is an anti-nausea prescription. 

My surgeon had specified Prilosec OTC for the first six weeks, to alleviate nausea.  Maybe ask your surgeon for one or the other of these??

Good luck--
Nathalie R.
on 4/25/10 6:53 am, edited 4/25/10 6:54 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Hi,
I had surgery on feb 9th and have been battling a stricture since feb 28th. I have had 7 endoscopies and will have my gallbladder out mon or tues. I am actually in the hospital right now I am sorry you are going through this too. In my case I am nauseated most of the time. At home I was on zofran and reglan for nausea. Each time I have been hospitalized I was low on potassium too. Also when I started closing up I would have increased nausea with decresed fluid intake. There were/are times I have dry heaves but I usually just get really nauseated after any intake. I wish I could help you more on the dry heave part. I hope your problems clear up soon since I know just how much it sucks. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Nathalie
*~*~* True Beauty lies within the Imperfections *~*~*
Find me on Facebook...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1437043148&ref=name
LatinaMom209
on 4/26/10 12:48 am - Merced, CA
Thanks a lot Nathalie.  It's good to know i'm not the only one going thrugh all this.  Sounds like you are going through a lot of what I am going through.  I hope everything goes well for you and you start feeling better soon.  I truly know how you are feeling.  Maybe when they take out your gallbladder it will help?  It did not seem to be the cure for me =(.  All of the nausea medicine they have had me try does not seem to work at all. My appointment is today at 3:30 and i really have a feeling they are going to put me back in the hospital.  I really don't want to be in the hosp. it's hard for my husband and my kids without me being that they are so little but I know i have to do what i have to do and feeling nauseous all day is horrible.  I just hope i start feeling like myself again.  Good luck with you and you will be in my prayers as well.  Get Well!

Lydia

Nathalie R.
on 4/26/10 2:04 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I hope they don't hospitalize you again, but if they do know it is for your own well being. They are taking out the gallbladder to help isolate where I am having pain and to see if it lessens the symptoms. My nausea meds would only work for a little while and then with drinking it always got worse. I hope that if you are closing again that the next endoscopy fixes you. I am going to have #8 this week. My stricture closes down to pretty much a pinhole I hope you feel better soon and keep me updated. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Nathalie
*~*~* True Beauty lies within the Imperfections *~*~*
Find me on Facebook...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1437043148&ref=name
Most Active