Kaiser- Is Options Mandatory?

Y D.
on 10/17/14 12:43 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Hello :)

i just got my referral from my pcp today, and he told me to call the Positive Choice Wellness Center and go to Orientation. He also pre-ordered my labs. It doesn't look like the program is specifically called Options anymore, but what they have now seems similar to the Options class I've heard described here on the boards.

I discussed with him that I've done numerous attempts at weight loss, most recently with Medifast and then Dr. Supervised weight control clinic, and I'd rather not have to do a another long nutrition/diet class. He said with proof of my previous attempts the program may waive it.

im in San Diego. Has anyone else successfully gotten Options waived?? :)

thanks!

FYI:

my bmi is 39, no other issues.

im 28.

interested in the sleeve.

Linda B.
on 10/26/14 2:40 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

You could try, but I've never heard of Kaiser not making you jump through their hoops. I think it is more related to making sure you're committed more than anything else. I have Kaiser in Fontana. Oh, unless they have changed a bit, they'll recommend you eat all kinds of things that aren't really food, they are more accurately described as "a food like substance." Oh, just so you know, the CA forum is really slow. If you want some really good details about the sleeve, visit the VSG forum. The people over there are great, you can ask questions, and if someone can point you in a good direction, they'll respond.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

WickedVegas
on 3/5/15 8:12 am

Hi!

The name of the part of Kaiser that does that program is Positive Choice wellness center, Options is just the name of a specific program within that center.

OPTIONS is not a nutrition or diet class. It is the name of their bariatric surgery program. It is a 6 month class you take before Kaiser will approve bariatric surgery.

No, they will not waive the class. Surgery like that has a slew of lifestyle changes that need to be made along with it for it to be successful, so Kaiser wants to make sure you have the tools you need to make it a long term success. There is a ton to learn about the things you cannot do, things you must do and what to expect.

I personally an in week 20 of that class, and loving it! I am excited and looking forward to getting the gastric bypass once the class is over and my surgery is approved.

They also have the OPTIFAST program, which is a diet program. You can check their website for more info too, positivechoice.org.

I hope this helps you. :)

Y D.
on 3/5/15 8:20 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Thanks Vegas :) I tried like heck to get out of it; but I couldn't. So I opted to self pay; I had my VSG done on January 19th.

Glad you are having a beneficial experience with the program, best of luck on your surgery!! :)

Most Active