Post op surgery

Chrisarchila
on 2/28/15 6:49 am

hi, my name is Chris, I had gastric bypass on 02/20/15. Thank god everything went well with no complications. My question is, is it normal to feel depressed afterwards? I guess I just feel like I'm never gonna be the same or ever eat again(which I know I'll eat again). It just feels that way. Will I ever be able to enjoy my favorite foods again? Thanks in advanced. 

sor09
on 7/27/15 6:24 pm

Yes, it is normal to feel how you feel. Your best friend is gone! "FOOD" is only for living now. Eventually you will be able to eat anything as before, but less. with that being said, why? You took the journey, a hard one, for better life and post op wonderful things are waiting for you. Take it slowly and be careful. This is only a tool to manage obesity and you will need to incorporate coping skills (a lot), exercising, hydration, and vitamins daily. Simple carbs will make you gain and or stall your weight loss. They also can disagree with your tummy and cause you discomfort and pain. Stick to a bariatric food list and menu planning, and with some new hobbies... you'll be smiling and happy with your progress. Best wishes.

monanavas
on 9/22/15 8:02 pm
On July 27, 2015 at 6:24 PM Pacific Time, sor09 wrote:

Yes, it is normal to feel how you feel. Your best friend is gone! "FOOD" is only for living now. Eventually you will be able to eat anything as before, but less. with that being said, why? You took the journey, a hard one, for better life and post op wonderful things are waiting for you. Take it slowly and be careful. This is only a tool to manage obesity and you will need to incorporate coping skills (a lot), exercising, hydration, and vitamins daily. Simple carbs will make you gain and or stall your weight loss. They also can disagree with your tummy and cause you discomfort and pain. Stick to a bariatric food list and menu planning, and with some new hobbies... you'll be smiling and happy with your progress. Best wishes.

Hi, I have my surgery date for October 26th, I had my mind on the sleeve but due to past lap band complications the sleeve is not an option for me and the Dr. said he will do the roux y bypass. I'm kind of scared because I have heard about the dumping syndrome and if you could tell me why this happens, in what amount if you eat what you are not supposed to and how bad is it? I saw on youtube that a girl made herself a smoothie and drank it too fast because she was thirsty and then she got this dumping thing.

Is it true that you can eat everything again? I mean everything or is it forever that you can't eat again?

sor09
on 9/22/15 8:34 pm

You will be able to eat anything if you wish, and as before why would you want to. Each person deals with WLS differently, and coping skills are a big part of life post op too. All are serious operations. Dumping can happen or not and no straight line for why. How ever too much sugar, too much simple carbs, too much oily foods, and or too much of anything could make you sick. Dumping usually is about too much sugar then the side effects. Focus on better quality of life and better health... positive thoughts get you positive results. Being prepared... you can never have too much knowledge or information on the successful path. BTW... you should drink water for thirst instead of caloric stuff.

Most Active