WLS - Remembering those before us.....

Terri Ott Norris
on 3/2/16 9:20 am - Livermore, CA
RNY on 07/18/17

Hi Cali Board!!

I just wanted to share a story-that has a sad ending, but a BEAUTIFUL story non the less.

My Brother John Ott (John O on this site) was obese, 450 lbs.  John fought for MANY years to get his surgery...MANY YEARS.  He battled insurance companies, he battled hospitals...and yes, he battled himself, his obesity.

FINALLY he was given a date.  

WOW...we all on this site rejoiced!!!  John was a member of the Cali board, he posted funny things, supportive posts and his most memorable posts:  His poetry.  

Thru Obesity Help.com John met so many beautiful people, in person.  John played softball with his OH friends, went on cruises and had dinners with them.  

John had surgery on 9/20/05.  He had lost 50 lbs...I was going to be his care giver in San Diego CA as he recovered from surgery.  

John made it to the losers bench...but he had told me the night before that it might get "complicated" and asked that I remain strong for our family while he recovered, whatever the "complications" might be.

John passed to eternal life with our Lord on 9/22/05 from a heart attack.  

A heart attack that was surely going to happen without surgery...having surgery was John's ONLY hope to live.

I share this story not to make anyone sad, not to frighten anyone...I share it because it is SO IMPORTANT that we get ourselves healthy NOW!!

It was not Gastric Bypass that took my Brother's life...it was years and years and YEARS of obesity.  By having surgery John was choosing to LIVE...

John believed in this tool with all his heart.  He was my best friend...he wanted to live.  John spent so much time in those last few weeks telling me how important a healthy lifestyle is....he begged me not to let myself get where he was.  

So here I am, preparing for Gastric Bypass....am I nervous? yes...but not because of John.  I would be nervous for any surgery...

I am strong....BECAUSE OF JOHN. 

Johns last poem was published by one of his good friends in case he did not make it.  It had a beautiful note to all of us battling this disease. 

John wrote:

I dedicate this to all who are trying to control the disease of obesity by using that wonderful tool known as weight loss surgery. I wrote this poem while thinking about my impending surgery and considering the possibility that I wouldn't make it. If this poem is posted on the ObesityHelp message boards by anyone other than myself, it means that I did die in the attempt, whether it was on the table, or afterwards. For my brothers and sisters still struggling, keep the faith. This disease does not have to be fatal. I am looking over you all from my place in Heaven and if God allows me to do so, I will lend you the strength you need to persevere.

Mortality 

Is it my time to  go?
Will I lose the fight?
I will pass on the baton,
If you will it.  

While I want to stay, 
I know that isn't your way.
You know what's  best for me,
This I know. 

So my arms are outstretched my Lord,
Do  with me as you will,
Take me home to you,
Or let me stay on Earth.  

So that's your word Lord,
You're taking me home.
I'm ready to  go,
As you know. 

For those still here,
Fighting the  battles.
Keep the faith,
and stay, the path.

I miss Johnny every moment of every day...but he walks this walk with me..with us.  

For those who knew him-for those new friends that will learn from his journey, I share the following web pages.

Thank you all for your support....May God Bless Us All....

T.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/restaurantcard.html/cmsI D,9040/mode,content/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/members/__o1067734105/support_wal l/

Have a Blessed Day....

BLOG: www.sweattodaysmiletomorrowcom.wordpress.com

mermaidoz
on 3/12/16 5:24 pm - Canada

So sorry to read about the loss of your brother barely a couple of days after his surgery...Seems you have been delaying your surgery for more than a decade...hope this does not put you off, and you return to the various OH sites you have posted on. By posting, then disappearing for years, people wonder about your commitment. Hope you finally do commit for your own health instead of leaving until too late, like it seems your brother did.

Please return to all the sites you have popped in, in my case the Over 50 Forum, as you have been effusively welcomed, then disappear for years....when will you have your surgery and what kind will it be? We are a terrific support group.

mermaidoz

* Gail R *
on 11/26/16 5:02 pm - SF Bay Area, CA

I remember John very fondly as I was active on this board at that time. I went on to have WLS and still had to have a 7 way cardiac bypass 5 years after my weight loss. We do so much damage to our bodies with obesity. I am now os much healthier than I have been in 30 years. good luck to you on your journey. 

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Most Active