choices

joann_nc
on 11/10/06 12:32 pm - CT
I have studied info for gastric bypass and lap band and i am still torn. I know it is a personal choice. I am 5'8 and i weigh 272. I know that no matter what, my whole lifestyle must change. I talked with Dr. E. He said it does not matter which one i pick they are both TOOLs. Boy i would have just loved for him to choose.lol I am leaning toward the lap band. What I know i am going to hate are the fills. I also pass out from the sight of needles. I will have to make a choice soon. I started this journey on Oct. 23, 2006. It is moving fast. I have Horizon BCBS form NJ. I do not think they have a six mo wait. I have completed all of my appts except for blood work. Of course i choose this one to be last. I went today for my upper GI. I almost lost it when it was time for the needle. I thought about all of the before and after photos. I thought about all of you all that have walked this journey before me. Each step that you all have taken, gave me STRENGTH. Thanks a million and thanks Christine B for going with me to the Dr. JoAnn This is a life changing decision. I personally will turn it over to God and ask him to guide my foot steps. I want to thank you all for your posts. Kim thank you for yout thoughts and PLEASE continue to post. The SUM of everyones thoughts and experiences help to create a TOTAL picture.
SteveColarossi
on 11/10/06 12:51 pm - Norwalk, CT
It can be a tough decision, because, like the decision to use any tool (regardless of the job), you need to choose the tool that is best-suited to what you want to accomplish. Many of us who were carb-oholic grazers and who desparately needed the restriction and malabsoprtion of the RNY, having gastric bypass was the best choice. For others who tended to have most of their weight issues with portion control, adjustible gastric banding is a great choice. What you need to do is evaluate the path that lead you to your obesity and try to find the method that will provide the most comprehensive tool to help you in your battle. And remember, you know your ability to maintain aftercare-- whether getting your fills or maintaining vitamins and supplements-- so your choice of methods should also factor in your perception of how likely you'll be to maintain the all-important follow-up that both methods require.
KimmieC
on 11/10/06 1:44 pm - Milford, CT
Hi Joann, Good luck with whatever decision you make with your journey. Thank you for your kind words I do appreciate it. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide, and know your making a good decision for your health, your life and your happiness. Take care and god bless. Hugs KimC
Nancy K.
on 11/10/06 2:12 pm - Waterford, CT
Hi Joann, I have the Lap Band due to many health issues and the problem of malabsorbing my meds for the conditions that will not go away with weight loss. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 34 years and that had a lot to do with it as well ( I couldn't find any long term studies of type 1 diabetics and RNY). I am a slow loser but it could have to do with many things including the fact that I have an insulin pump so it makes it harder to lose weight. I have to say that I am doing pretty well and although I have not been able to exercise for a few weeks now due to bronchitis, it does work. If you go to the lap band board, you will see Bette is really not that unique - not to say she didn't work her buns off to lose all her weight - she has done incredible!), but there are many with triple digit losses. It is amazing! The fills are really nothing - I don't have any needle phobias but honestly, it doesn't even hurt me. You lay down and before you know it, you are done. It is an individual decision and as long as you have studied all the facts of both surgeries (or all of your options), so you make an informed decision, you will be fine. I know you will end up doing what you feel is best for you. If you have any Lap Band questions, feel free to contact me and good luck with your decision. Hugs, Nancy K Banded 9/1/06 - lost approximately 30 lbs so far
daner2
on 11/10/06 8:24 pm - Bristol, CT
Joann, I just want to say good luck in making your decision. Regardless what you decide we will be here rooting for you! Sandy
Most Active
Recent Topics