Gallbladder Question

DLMoore
on 5/2/07 2:02 am - Wilmington, DE
I'm asking this for an acquaintence who's 14 year old son is going to have RNY. If you still have your gallbladder, is it necessary to take actigall or that other gallbladder medication? and, Why do you take actigall after RNY? What is the correlation between RNY and gallbladder problems?
Elissa H
on 5/4/07 11:31 am - Wilmington, DE
Wow, did you say 14yrs old. Will he have it with the CHRIAS Group or St Francis? The Actigall meds are to prevent gall bladder issues after. However, I know at least 4 people that had their gall bladder removed within 2 yrs of WLS. So much for eating that nasty stuff. I can still remember the nasty bitter taste in applesauce. I don't think I've eaten any since and it's been 3 yrs for me. Funny how we mal-absorb certain things and tend to absorb other stuff. Not sure of the medical reason behind the Actigal though. Any other takers? ((HUGS)) Elissa
RavenJean
on 5/5/07 2:18 pm - DE
The gallbladder medicine prevents gall stones from forming. I get SF applesauce and lay a small layer down on the dish ( or top wrapper of the 4 oz cups) put my crushed pill over the layer and add another lay of applesauce on top. Taking small amounts on the spoon I just swallow it down with out tasting the ickie med!! If for some reason the I catch a taste of it I just drip my clean spoon into the applesauce and move it around my mouth to get rid of the taste. We only have to take the med for the first 6 months.
Most Active