Butt boils - Caution GROSS post

LindyLoo
on 12/14/07 5:19 am - Upstate, SC
I too always thought they were ingrown hairs...but now I'm doubting mine are. There's too much pressure for that.
And yeah, I've gor those spots all over, too. Blech.
When/if I get a resolution, I'll share. It's the least I can do after throwing this ickyness out here!

Lindy
 sw 286/  cw 180ish  BMI 28
Thank God for the DS! It saved my life, literally & figuratively! 

AmazonBelle
on 12/14/07 6:03 am - South, GA
I sent you a PM!
Cheryl V.  5'11" tall!

LindyLoo
on 12/14/07 1:13 pm - Upstate, SC
THANKS!

Lindy

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/07 6:42 am - TN
google hydradenitis supportiva Sounds like that's what you got. I had it before, hardly ever now but still once in a while. I use serial hot soaks to bring them to a head, then drain, lancing if necessary
LindyLoo
on 12/14/07 1:18 pm - Upstate, SC
Will do.
DH is very squeemish, Mom is blind...guess I'll get professional help on the draining!
(Don't really want a blind person stabbing me down there! )

Lindy

Sherrieann
on 12/14/07 7:07 am - Melbourne, Australia

Hi LindyLoo ~

It's most likely an infection combo of ingrown hair and staph...just how our bodies 'handle' the two together.  Yes..bring the thing to that yucky state where the top tissue feels all spongy...THEN it's ready to 'express'.  Hot bath soaks or wet, warm compresses are the way to speed that.  DON'T try and 'pop' or drain it while the top is still hard....you'll press the infection deeper by doing that.

When you drain it...by a simple needle poke to the centre of the top....only GENTLY press on the sides to drain it.  Firm pressures only serve to increase the liklihood of damaging the tissues and causing more scarring.

After you've 'drained' the bulk of the stuff, keep on with the warm compressess and soaks while it heals.  Keep the wound covered, but aim to keep the sore 'open', so that more drainage is allowed.  A simple gauze covereing (rather than an bandaid) is best for that.  No creams or ointments are needed....the stuff just needs to get out!

Yep...staph....it's eveywhere!  You may wish to have liquid antibacterial soap in your shower to use on the general area, as that will minimize some of the surface staph.  I know that sometimes physicians will prescribe an oral treatment, but it's the big-gun drugs that are used, and it's most likely caused by spreading of surface staph.  Some of us are natural 'carriers' and we don't ever really did ourselves of it.

These things are far more common than you may think.  And docs see 'em all the time.  Wait to see your doctor until the thing is 'ripe', and they'll drain it in a matter of moments.  Not painful other than that one 'stick' that's needed to get it all started.

Ugly little *******s, aren't they?  lol......  I'm finding I'm getting them more frequently with all the friction and pressure of some of the exercise machines at the gym.  Sigh...with the good comes the bad I suppose. 

Wishingyou relief soon~  Sherrie

LindyLoo
on 12/14/07 1:20 pm - Upstate, SC
Ewww..."ripe"! LOL. That it is.

Looks like I've got a fun appt ahead of me in the am!

I think I'm getting them more postop too...maybe cause I'm so much more active?!

Lindy

Rotten Ronni
on 12/14/07 8:11 am - DFW, TX
I had one of these in the crack of my butt. I steeped a tea bag in ho****er, took a wash cloth and soaked it in the tea water and applied it to the area. Do this a couple times a day. It should bring it to the surface fairly quickly, and then pop away. Hope this helps, Ronni

LindyLoo
on 12/14/07 1:21 pm - Upstate, SC
Thanks Ronni!

Lindy

larra
on 12/14/07 10:14 am - bay area, CA

You definitely need to see a doc for this, and if the new PCP can't handle it, you need a different new PCP. This is a surprisingly common problem, most people just don't go around talking about it openly.

I agree with all the advise about compresses, lancing when the time is right (best to have a professional do this!), letting it drain open with more compresses, etc. And you probably need a course of antibiotics, too. A culture can be done when it is lanced to determine if it's staph or something else, what antibiotics are most likely to work, etc. The professional can also numb it up with local before doing the incision and drainage (the fancy medical term for lancing it open), and therefore can do a more thorough drainage.  So, get thee to a doctor! Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views