update on me, hormone stuff, gaining weight, photo whoring!

Kayla B.
on 10/21/09 2:31 am - Austin, TX

I thought I'd kinda give an update on my last post where I chronicled some issues I was having

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4033701/DS-causing-majo r-hormone-production-pituitary-hypothalamus/:

Low hormone levels, low FSH, low LH, etc!

I did end up getting my MRI done, and it was clean.  No pituitary or hypothalamus tumors.  Good news.  Also confusing news.  Because now I really don't know WHAT to do to fix my problem, except try to gain weight.  I did make an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist and I'll see her next week.  Curious to see what she says.

As many know, I was a very big proponent of low carb dieting.  At this point, I do still feel it's an acceptable way to go about post-DS dieting as a start.  But, it's not appropriate for ME.  I'm an active 22 year old college student.  I walk to class everyday.  I do muscle toning exercises 1-2x per week.  And, I think I may just be a really good malabsorber than many,  There was just no reason for me to be eating 40g of carbs per day. 

So, the first week had me shoveling carbs into my gullet faster than you could imagine.  Basically, every craving I'd had that I denied myself of got fulfilled within a one week period.  Candy, ice cream, chips, cereal, waffles, syrup, fudge, fruit.  LOL.  I kinda felt awful (physically)!  I decided that I want to stick with some healthier forms of carbs - whole grains, etc.  I eat lots of oatmeal, whole grain cream of wheat, kashi cereals, quaker oat cereal, triscuits, and fruit.  I'm really just not CRAVING the junk very often, but I'll eat chips, candy, french fries, etc as often as I really desire them.  I just don't want them that often.  I don't COUNT carbs, but I think I've gone from practically no carbs to about 250g/day. 

I'm still trying to focus on protein a lot, too.  Sorry Lori, I'm still not on the shakes, but I am making whey protein cakes like 3-5x per day! (protein powder - 1 scoop whey + 1/2 scoop muscle milk chocolate, 1 T dark unsweet cocoa powder, 1-2 T veg oil, 2-3 T of SF syrup, plus enough water or milk to bring it all together into a brownie-like batter...then nuked for about 40 seconds!).  With eating carbs, I know my body is using THOSE for energy before protein, so all the protein I take in can be used to repair my body.  I'm pretty curious to see what my labs do.  They were already pretty good as far as protein goes, so I expect them to be perfect in that area next time lol

Anyhow, though my weight ranges up and down quite a bit, I think I've gained about 9 pounds in the last 4 weeks.  I definitely have a more predictable amount of energy.  I still have some unexplainable low-energy days, but they used to happen almost everyday, and now they are more like 1-2x per week.  No improvement hormonally though.  Still getting hot flashes, night sweats, disturbed sleep, sexual dysfunction, no period, etc.  I know it'll take time, though.

Thankfully, I haven't experienced many issues digestion-wise from the increase in carbs.  I still shun simple breads and enriched flours out of habit, though.

Gaining weight is kind of a mindgame, because I really don't think I look sickly skinny or anything.  Anyhow, I've asked around and my trainer says my face does look fuller and the 9 or so pounds looks good on me. I did decide to continue working out 1-2x per week, but cut out heavy cardio.  It just doesn't feel right to not exercise.  I feel better when I exercise.  I have a better mood, more energy, my body functions better.

Anyhow, I took some photos recently and I'm really proud of how my body looks, plus I haven't really posted anything recently despite my 2 yr surgiversary passing.  So, here's me, 2 years out, 22 years old, 200 pounds down, 5'9" weighing approx 155 lbs.  Yes, I'm dying for an LBL...all my excess fat/skin/tissue is around my middle and everyone asks when/if I'm expecting.  It sucks, but I don't have enough funds to use the surgeon I want yet, so it's on hold for a couple years, I think.  Nothing I can do about it, I don't beat myself up about it, but I just wish people would be more tactful and learn to STFU cuz nothing ruins a good outfit like someone asking you when your baby is due!

CIMG41792-1-1.jpg picture by icyprincess77 CIMG41732.jpg picture by icyprincess77
CIMG4159.jpg picture by icyprincess77 CIMG4161.jpg picture by icyprincess77CIMG4170-1.jpg picture by icyprincess77 CIMG4177-1.jpg picture by icyprincess77

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Mary_J
on 10/21/09 2:44 am
You look fantastic, Kayla - screw those with no social skills!  Glad the MRI went well - hope the carbs and/or endo find your balance.

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

JennType1
on 10/21/09 3:33 am - Middle of, TN
I would kill for those arms, honey! No need for plastics there, that's for sure.

Glad you're feeling better,  and hope you get everything hormonal sorted out soon. It sounds like you're doing an awesome job with your DS--a shining example for all of us on how to listen to our bodies.

Jenn
Type 1 diabetic, 26 years
With great power (the DS!) comes great responsibility.

Violet S.
on 10/21/09 4:16 am - NY
 "...nothing ruins a good outfit like someone asking you when your baby is due"....Ain't that the truth?!
Have you ever tried those tummy-control panties (they are basically like really spandex-y underwear that go up past your bellybutton)
Sorry that you still haven't found relief from your hormonal issues.... Keep on investigating it. You are a great advocate for your own health!
You look fabulous.... those arms! You are jacked, girl!
-V
                                              I love my DS!
5'7'' SW-267, CW-155
Mom to 2 boys- age 6 & 4
TTC baby #3 since Oct. 2010
Kayla B.
on 10/21/09 4:21 am - Austin, TX
I wear tight tanktops under most of my clothes to keep jiggle under control.  But, I can't seem to find anything that masks the actual bulk of the tissue.  I can keep it from jiggling and moving around like crazy, but there's so much of it there.  Can't be hidden.

Plus, I find restrictive clothing like that very uncomfortable.  It holds me in so tight that it actually makes me constipated.  lol
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Lori Black
on 10/21/09 4:57 am - , IN
You are simply beautiful, Kayla!  I'm in the "needed to gain weight" category and have done so and then some.  People are constantly telling me that I look healthier and everyone seems so glad that I've gained some weight.  I think you look REAALLLY wonderful!!!  Nice arms chica!

Hugs,

Lori
Aimee B.
on 10/21/09 5:06 am
Hi there, Kayla:

I'm glad to know no pit/hypothalamus tumors! Whew! And I hope you and the reproductive endo find some answers (and a good treatment).

I'm with others... I totally envy your arms! OMG! What types of resistance training/exercises did you start out with to achieve them?

Lastly, they *do* make Spanx for regular sized folks. They hold up pretty well and even at my largest, they didn't roll down on me. My local Target has them; check yours if interested.

Thank you for the update and I am glad you have some answers and are feeling better.
*~ Aimee ~*
Captain Obvious and wearing the Literal Hat since 2005

Kayla B.
on 10/21/09 6:13 am - Austin, TX
Arm exercises:

To start out, I could not even do ONE girl push up. lol  I was one weak puppy.  If you really want to get more serious about working out, when you're ready/able to commit to the diet (high protein with enough complex carbs and some decent cardio), I'd recommend a trainer.  Doesn't have to be through a big chain gym.  It'll probably be cheaper elsewhere.  If you do go through a large chain gym, make sure they actually require their trainers be certified first.  I found my trainer through Gold's Gym, but he has since left and I now train outside the gym with him.

I wouldn't have been able to do it without him.  I didn't know how to exercise at all.  I still don't know what most of the exercises are called, so I'm not much help there...  Trainers are expensive though, so just get a few sessions and ask lots of questions and get a good idea.  Watch what other people that look good do.  Figure out what to do, and how to do it so you don't get hurt.  I could get through an arm work out without my trainer now, if I wanted to, but I lack motivation.

For arms, I do free weights mostly, very few machines.

Push ups (start with girl push ups or on an incline)...I still don't do "real" push ups.  If you can't support your weight very well, no big deal, start with a very steep incline.  I'd use my door frame.  Just take a few steps back, lean forward into the door frame or wall and push back.  When you get better, you can decrease the incline or end up resting your arms on a chair or something instead of the floor.

Dips...works the triceps.  Again, I'll just use a chair.

Bicep curls.  You can start with 5 lbs weighs in each hand.

Shoulder press

lat raises

tricep extensions

Chest press (machine)

Now I also do benchpress (just the bar), skull crushers, and even a little bit of boxing every once in a blue moon.  Just standard basic gym exercises.  You can even do a lot of that stuff with resistant bands.  I don't really like the stuff that incorporates medicine balls/throwing/jumping, whatever.  I just think it looks stupid.  lol

Here's a link with some photos of stuff to start:
http://just-for-mom.slides.kaboose.com/223-10-minute-routine -arm-toning-exercises

Diet is most important though.  You get nowhere if you aren't eating enough...

Amanda-DS
on 10/21/09 5:08 am
Kayla
yeah about the catscan

good work to up the carbs- and the way you are going whole grains, fruits, vegetables that is the way to do the DS style. Whole before processed or as 15 year old puts it "broken down"

now see what the reproductive endocrinologist says but really insist that she/he get you started on medication to get those periods back for you. Regardless of the reason- you need to get your body functioning as it should for a 22 year old.

It is not easy to have weight come back on but many of us do get too low and need to put some back on to be at optimal health. I found after an artificial low after plastics I just had to stay away from the scale and allow my body to gain back to a healthy balance. It was not easy at times especially when I had clothes that no longer fit and I went back up a size or two. I just had to let it go and know that what I did was for my health. The scale and clothing size are only a number and they do not need to define us.

I will keep you in my thoughts as you continue on your journey. You should be proud of yourself!!!!
Amanda DS
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

rose78
on 10/21/09 5:36 am - san jose, CA
Hi Kayla,
good news on the MRI.  You look simply awesome!  I can relate to the  jiggle in the tummy area.
I  found at TJ MAXX  an under tank top (bra & undie dept) with spanx control for 12 bucks in a  tan color that seems to help and not to restrictive.

Yeah and those that ask about when your "due"  give them the look (STFU LOOK )

You  are so YOUNG and blessed   to have taken the step  to a healthier life with the DS...WTG!

Take care,

ROSE 78 

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 359 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views