DONATION OF SKIN

gena267
on 11/8/09 3:58 pm
Has anyone looked in to donating skin that is to be removed to burn vict. or some other way it could be helpful to someone.  If so, Please let me know.  Thanks Gena
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/09 7:19 pm - Canandaigua, NY
WOW!  What a great question!  I have no answers, but will see what I can find out.... 
Stephanie R.
on 11/8/09 8:18 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Someone else had mentioned this to me right before I had my WLS. I did some research and found out that this is not possible. Sorry to tell you this. I found that most burn victims receive dontated skin from another part of their body or from a cadaver (dead body). I wi**** could be possible, because I'm sure that a lot of us would love to donate our extra skin and possibly get out surgeries at cost or free because of it. From what I read, it would cost more to take our extra skin than to get it from the person's own body or a cadaver. I was looking it up because someone mentioned that Shriner's Hospitals would do this. They had a disclaimer say no. Just thought I'd let you know. If you look up donating skin it should pop up.

Stephanie

Tassia
on 11/8/09 8:41 pm
 Its a myth. If you have excess skin and the associated issues (rashes, infections, etc) have it documented for insurance reasons.  Sometimes they'll cover.  Otherwise, plastic surgery is self pay
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

Valerie G.
on 11/8/09 9:00 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Nobody wants out permanently damaged skin anymore than we do.  It's a rumor that just won't die.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

mellysarah03
on 11/8/09 9:33 pm, edited 11/8/09 9:34 pm - Fort Myers, FL
 I have also heard this. My friend knows  says she DOES KNOW someone who did it but not in my state. Apparently since they usually use such thin layers at a time its ok if its "streched" however it cannot have strech marks or scars.  Thats all I know I would really like to know more if anyone has any input. 

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

Jaime Breckenridge
on 11/8/09 9:36 pm, edited 11/8/09 9:36 pm - IL
I am having my excess removed on Nov. 19th and I had to pay cash.  My back pain is worse than it ever was at my highest weight.  I had therapy, both land and water and neither helped.  I had sores and discoloration and such as well, still the insurance wouldn't pay.

About the skin donation, and this is from a friend of mine that is a surgeon and spoke with the plastic surgeons at his practice. (That was my disclaimer for where I got my answer and I didn't get it from a friend of a friend.  The information given to me was from a reliable source.) 

It is not normally good practice but it isn't due to 'harvesting' costs.  They could utilize area(s) of your skin that is healthy enough for a new body.  Due to the small amount of healthy skin on a given area it's normally not worth the bother.  Even if you paid cash and wanted to donate it to be a nice person they could not use it.  The skin they remove from you has lost its elasticity, has too much scaring and is in general not halthy enough for donation.

-Jaime

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/10/09 5:33 am
have you tried to get your insurance company to pay for your plastics?

Scott
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/09 10:36 pm - Lancaster, OH
I am sorry, but I'm compelled to ask:  What is urgent about this thread topic?
gena267
on 11/9/09 12:16 am
If it is a long drawn out process and things are done in steps and so on, I want to look into and have a plan before Wls, Is there a ways to care for your skin as you loosing to make it helpful to some one else.  Thanks Gena
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 279 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 753 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views