DONATION OF SKIN

Elizabeth N.
on 11/9/09 3:39 am - Burlington County, NJ
You didn't answer the question. What makes this an "urgent" topic?
gena267
on 11/9/09 10:08 pm
I thought I did.  If there are things you can do as you loosing weight to care for skin to make it more useable or something I need to know, I want to start from the get go.  I am to get my surgery date soon and want to do all I can.  Would wearing support garmets as you loose make the skin less strenged and make it more likely to be useable?  If so, I want to do that.  Gena
Elizabeth N.
on 11/9/09 10:16 pm - Burlington County, NJ
To answer your question, no, the support garments do nothing in that regard. Being fat is what ruins our skin, so it's already ruined.

As to the "urgent" button: An "urgent" question, in this forum, is one that needs to be answered right away because it has an *immediate* impact. Examples of "urgent" questions would be along the lines of:

--Help, the gas pain is killing me! Give me ideas for moving the gas out of my gut.
--I have a red, hot spot on my belly near an incision. Is it time to go to the ER?
--I am in the middle of my bowel prep and nothing is coming out yet. Give me feedback please?
--I am halfway through the gallon of GoLytely for the bowel prep and I cannot get another swallow past my gag reflex. NOW WHAT?

Your skin question is about something that is, at best, a couple of years in the future. Therefore it is not urgent. People will read your questions even if you don't mark them "urgent."

Or do you need that "urgent" marker to help your poor eyesight?
gena267
on 11/10/09 1:33 pm
Well, I am blind in eye and have poor sight in the other. thank you
Chad M.
on 11/9/09 10:49 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Gena, who is your surgeon? Since you are in Kentucky, are you going to go to Dr. Husted?
gena267
on 11/10/09 1:34 pm
Yes I am.
gena267
on 11/10/09 1:44 pm
I am waiting on a surgery date.  We are hoping for Dec. or Jan.  Doc. Husted is going out of state in Jan.  and with the holidays it is not easy to get a date for him and I to much,  I also have a ten year old son, so I would like to have it while he is on Christmas break.  My other daugher Rachel just grad. Purdue and the yougest will grad. in May 2010.  Also I have one more date with the diet. doc the first of Dec. for my six month program for insurance. Gena
mittenfarm
on 11/8/09 10:36 pm - County Line, MI
Nobody wants our stretched out flappy skin, sad to say. It is not healthy on us and would not be good for a burn patient either. Not worth the cost of harvesting it and transporting it when they can use the person's own skin or that of a cadaver.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

Redhaired
on 11/8/09 10:46 pm - Mouseville, FL
Evidently there are some uses for our skin.  Take a look at this thread and Dr. LoMonaco's response.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/4019456/Wha t-do-they-do-with-your-skin/#32576644

gena267
on 11/9/09 12:24 am
YES, I just don't see not helping someone with something that I will be getting cut off any way.  I have followed up the link and found others.  They have now found away to harvest skin in a better way to make it useable for others.  I will be researching the different donation locations and post if anyone else would like to know.  Thanks all Gena
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views