DONATION OF SKIN

CUDDLES81
on 10/9/12 12:14 pm

I AM AN ORGAN DONER AND WANTING TO KNOW IS THIS REALLY TRUE ABOUT DONATING SKIN. I WATCHED A VIDEO WHERE A LADY THAT WAS 700LBS DONATED HER SKIN TO BURN VICTIMS I DON'T HAVE ALOT OF SKIN BUT IN MY STOMACH AREA WHICH HANGS WEARING UNDER GARMETS TO HOLD IT IN I HAVE A REALLY BAD BACK AND HAVE BEEN DOING RESEARCH TO FIND OUT HOW TO GET THIS REMOVED TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT MY SELF. MY MOM PASSED IN MY ARMS THIS YR. ON EASTER 2 DAYS AFTER MY BIRTHDAY I HAD TO HAVE THE BYPASS OR DIE I WAS ALMOST 500LBS AND NOW 340 TO ME THAT IS ALOT OF WEIGHT I HAVE MEDICARE AND MEDICADE BUT NOT FOR SURE IF THEY COVER AND I SEEN WHERE YOU CAN DONATE THE SKIN TO BURN VICTIMS JUST NEED A LITTLE HELP WITH THIS IF ANY ONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS I JUST WANT TO SEE MY DREAMS FULL FILLED AND I KNOW MY GAURDIAN ANGEL MY MAMA WILL SEE ME THROUGH MY JOURNEY IDK WHY? SHE HAD TO LEAVE ME BUT SHE WAS HERE TO SE MY PROGRESS AND WAS SO HAPPY SHE HAD LIVER CANCER SHE WAS 300LBS WHEN I WAS A CHILD AND LOST DOWN TO 142 ON HER ON NO SAGGING SKIN AT ALL I KNOW I WILL HAVE TO HAVE MINE REMOVED THANKS TO WHO EVER READS THIS.
CUDDLES

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/09 2:53 am - Bellevue, WA
 I hope you all will read this.  It is not a rumor.  I donated my skin after my plastic surgery.  I went through a fairly long process to be able to do this.  They do not use it for burn victims, but internal issues like repairing hernias.  It is a new (a couple of years) process, but has been successful.  If anyone is interested in doing this, ask your plastic surgeon.  I was written up in the local paper and even had a chance to talk about it on Oprah...which I said "No way!"

Sooo, it is true.
maryc543
on 11/9/09 3:45 am
I hadn't met  (OK, typed at) anyone who had actually donated their skin before.  I think this is great!  I'm not planning any plastics just yet....  would like to hit a 'normal' BMI and then consider it....  BUT  Is there a name for this procedure...  did you have your plastics at a 'big name' teaching hospital???  or would a regular community place know about this...  I really like the idea of being a donor, and will keep this in mind should the occasion arise!  Thanks, and you did a Good Thing!!   Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Gylphling
on 11/9/09 4:19 am - TX
You might check out this website:

http://www.mtf.org/donor/living_skin.html

Living Skin Donation Program

Now you can feel as good on the inside as you will look on the outside!

Congratulations on your significant weight loss. Now you may be considering having your excess skin surgically removed to achieve the body shape you desire. Did you know that you can donate your excess skin to help others who need various medical procedures?

Yes, it’s easy to become a living skin donor. Here’s how:

• Tell your surgeon you are interested in donating your excess skin, which is normally discarded after reconstruction.
  • Have your surgeon contact MTF at 800-581-2804. After business hours (8 am to 4 pm Eastern Standard time), your call will be returned within 24-48 hours, Monday through Friday.
  • An MTF Surgical Donation Coordinator will contact you to discuss details and schedule a medical assessment.
  • Your surgery will not be affected. Federal law prohibits buying and selling of organs and tissues. Therefore, you will not be paid for your donation, the surgery or any part of the surgeon’s fee, but donating your skin will cost you nothing extra.

Talk to your doctor, contact us at 800-581-2804, or to inquire about your eligibility please complete the information form by clicking here.

Not only will you look good, you’ll feel just as good on the inside knowing you can make a difference in someone else’s life, too!

HW 394 / SW 341/ CW 168/ GW 160
Elizabeth N.
on 11/9/09 10:18 pm - Burlington County, NJ
This is WONDERFUL news! Thank you for sharing.
Chad M.
on 11/9/09 5:45 am - Indianapolis, IN
Gena, sorry to hijak your thread but I have a question for you.

HAVE you heard of any advantages of having the ERNY over a DS as a revision after having a failed RNY? I believe the DS pouch from what I have read stretches out over time just as the RNY pouch does......so isn't it really the malabsorptive, lower part, of the surgery that actually helps a failed RNY? Just wanted your opinion, thanks, Chad in Indy
Steph anie
on 11/9/09 6:25 am - Denton, TX
I could kiss you sometimes. I needed a good laugh--thanks!

HW 318/ SW 308/ CW 116/ GW 125 (updated 11/11/09)

Follow my journey at:  http://savoringmyjourney.wordpress.com/

Get all the facts at www.DSfacts.com.  

Century Club 03/27/09    Onderland 04/15/09 Goal Met: 02/26/10

gena267
on 11/9/09 10:02 pm
No, but now I would like to find out.  thanks Gena
Elizabeth N.
on 11/9/09 10:21 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Honey, I am seriously concerned about your ability to comprehend what you need to do to survive a DS. Please consider giving Jenny Craig and Weigh****chers and TOPS a few more tries.
Chad M.
on 11/9/09 10:39 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Yes, me too! I hoped you would know the answer. Oh well.
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views