Recent Topics
Most Active

Weight/size to fit in one airline seat

princesspopnfresh2
on 7/13/10 7:42 pm
DS on 06/01/10 with

I just found out I will need to fly in September. I have been purchasing 2 seats for the last 10 years. Usually work allows us to purchase the tickets and then reimburses us but this time they are making all the travel arrangements so my husband and I will have to purchase our tickets at separate times and I'm not sure if I'm ready to fit in a single seat yet, so I'm terrified that we may not be able to sit together.

I have lost 41 lbs since surgery on June 1st and lost 41 lbs prior to surgery so I'm down 82 since December. I'm now wearing a woman's 2x top but still in a 3x or 26 bottom. Does anyone have any idea if I'll be o.k. with a single seat or should I just bag this trip and wait till the next time around.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kerry J.
on 7/13/10 7:48 pm - Santa Clara, UT
When I weighed 285 and wore 44-46" waist pants, I could just squeeze into one seat. It was not comfortable, but I could do it.

Wow! I haven't thought about how that used to feel for a long time; it was not a good feeling.

Kerry
Chad M.
on 7/13/10 7:52 pm - Indianapolis, IN
What's your current size? Take a look at my ticker. I am 5'10" and at my current weight/BMI, I fit just fine in a single seat.
Kerry J.
on 7/13/10 7:54 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Jack! Wow Chad you're right where I started; I was at 283 and a BMI of 40.6 LOL!
Chad M.
on 7/13/10 8:01 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Kerry J.
on 7/13/10 8:04 pm - Santa Clara, UT
No worries Chad, you'll get where you want to be.
goodkel
on 7/13/10 8:01 pm, edited 7/13/10 8:02 pm
DS on 08/20/07 with
You can look up the widths of airline seats on www.seatguru.com.

They do vary by type of aircraft, so you'll have to know what flight you're considering first.

Worse comes to worse, get an aisle seat so you can hang your butt out over the aisle a bit if needed.

ETA: clickable link:

www.seatguru.com/

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/10 8:04 pm
DS on 06/21/11 with
When I was about 310 lbs (about size 22/24) I was able to squish into a regular economy seat.

On August 5th I will be squishing my 320 lbs butt into a regular economy seat again.

I feel horrible for the person next to me but I always get a window seat so I can squish to one side I hopes if giving them a bit more room.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/13/10 8:12 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Well, I flew across the Atlantic multiple times at a size 26 and beyond, in one very cramped seat.
goodkel
on 7/13/10 8:21 pm
DS on 08/20/07 with
Come December, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about unless you are freakishly shaped and have lost weight everywhere except your keister.

But, I wouldn't assume past experiences are any indication of what the airlines will allow going forward. Sheesh, Delta/Northwest stipulates requiring two seats just for needing ONE extender.

And especially now that they are charging $25/bag for checked luggage, I suspect more people will be inclined to complain if they have to fly seated on your lap.

Personally, if this was still an issue for me, I would fly very early in the morning when flights are cheaper and less full and buy two seats rather than face the humiliation of being asked to leave a full plane because I was too fat.

But, again, come December I don't think you'll have the trouble you might have now.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

princesspopnfresh2
on 7/13/10 8:32 pm
DS on 06/01/10 with
Thank you so much for all the wonderful information. I've been flying Southwest exclusively because I can buy the two seats but I have always been able to have one refunded. It's been a long time since I've been on any other airline. Maybe by September I'll be o.k.
Melissa W.
on 7/14/10 6:52 am - Nashville, TN
DS on 11/02/10 with
I used to be able to always get a refund of my second seat because the flight was never full and they do that pretty quick but on my last flight they told me they have cut back flights so they will be full and this one was so no refund. They told me you can ask if this is a popular flight that will normally book up. I was leaving Seattle and was kind of upset because I bought two tickets right but they charged me for my thrid bag.... would you not think if the flight is full and I am not getting a refund then I should have had two bags per a ticket? Either way, I think you will do find because when i was around 340 I flew on Delta to Colorado from TN and was able to have one seat but the flight back I was pretty smushed and the guy next to me was pretty annoyed but did not say anything.
M Dub
Gettin' Switched November 2nd!
My Son, My Soldier, My Hero!

Melissa W.
on 7/14/10 6:54 am - Nashville, TN
DS on 11/02/10 with
I used to be able to always get a refund of my second seat because the flight was never full and they do that pretty quick but on my last flight they told me they have cut back flights so they will be full and this one was so no refund. They told me you can ask if this is a popular flight that will normally book up. I was leaving Seattle and was kind of upset because I bought two tickets right but they charged me for my thrid bag.... would you not think if the flight is full and I am not getting a refund then I should have had two bags per a ticket? Either way, I think you will do find because when i was around 340 I flew on Delta to Colorado from TN and was able to have one seat but the flight back I was pretty smushed and the guy next to me was pretty annoyed but did not say anything
M Dub
Gettin' Switched November 2nd!
My Son, My Soldier, My Hero!

Bonnie R.
on 7/13/10 9:33 pm - Stratford, CT
DS on 04/05/10 with
You'll fit.  No worries. Especially when you figure you'll be down even more in September!  You won't even need a seat belt extender by then!
Victorious_one
on 7/14/10 7:28 am - South Central, PA
DS on 06/07/10 with
 I was a size 24 at my largest, and I never needed an extender or an extra seat.  (My shoulders did pour over into the seats of my neighbors, though!)

September is a long way away in DS time--you'll be fine!
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
P. Poster
on 7/14/10 8:10 am
 I was a size 20 at my heaviest and never had a problem fitting into one seat and did not need an extender.  I think you will be just fine by September :)
thompson13x
on 7/15/10 10:22 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Since Southwest's fleet is almost exclusively Boeing 737-700's I can tell you that the seat width is 17 inches and as a general rule of thumb double that and you get the average men's waist size that would be "comfortable" in said seat. So in this case that magic size is 34.

Now, in real life, I would say that one can easily Triple that number and be livable in said seat. At my heaviest I had a size 52 waist and was able to fit into a standard coach seat on the 737, 757, and AA's workhorse the MD-80.  I wont say those who had to sit next to me were the most comfortable (usually my wife or one of my kids) but it was livable for all involved. Now that I am a size 32 I don't worry about the width but rather the padding of said seat as my bony butt hurts on long haul flights with sparsely padded seats. That's what the free blankets are for, extra seat padding!!!

HW: 372lbs.   SW: 358lbs.  Goal: 180lbs. CW: 165ish          
                    Pants: 54 to 32 - Shirts: 4x to Med - I My DS!      

geekgirl127
on 7/16/10 7:26 am - Indianapolis, IN
I flew back in april probobally at around 240 or 250 and a size 24 and did not need an extender and fit in one seat and my firend said she was comfortable sitting next  me
HW/SW/CW/GW = 371/352/168/130  - I love my DS!!