BPD-DS vs DS

sixtosbaby
on 10/20/10 10:29 pm - Bellevue, NE
OK, after reading the post about Juney's DS, I thought, that is what all of my paperwork says on it.  that it is a BPD-DS... Well when I asked the Dr. if he does DS he told me yes.... So now I'm kinda pissed off thinking that is not what I was told. 

I quickly jumped over to dsfacts and read some information.  But I'm not clear.  It has info on the BPD, then the BPD says about the BPD-DS    "but keep in mind the BPD portion has been modified from the original procedure so the name can be misleading."   Can someone tell me what the modification is? 

And do we have folks on here who have had BPD-DS... I'm VERY, VERY upset now.
Michelle    
Julie R.
on 10/20/10 10:35 pm - Ludington, MI
BPD-DS is the term most often used for insurance purposes to describe the duodenal switch.   It's written out as "biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch."   My surgeon worded it that way on my paperwork as well.    Just to be on the safe side, I'd absolutely clear it up with your surgeon, but I'm pretty certain that's how it's working with you.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

sixtosbaby
on 10/20/10 10:43 pm - Bellevue, NE

God Julie, I hope so... I'm almost in tears here.  I'll call this morning.

Michelle    
Julie R.
on 10/20/10 10:54 pm - Ludington, MI
Please post back and let me know!  Good luck!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

yes4Jess
on 10/20/10 11:06 pm - somewhere, MI
Yes.. we call it a DS   the Surgeon calls it  Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch.... that's quite a mouthful!!!  :)
5'5" HW-344 (10/4/09) SW-295 (10/7/10) CW-161 GW-144
Never give up, Never surrender! ~Galaxy Quest

First person to tell me I took the "easy" way out is getting a black eye!

Ellen G.
on 10/20/10 11:09 pm - Bensalem, PA

DS is just a short way of saying the biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch.  My surgeon refers to it as the DS, but on all the paperwork and even on my bracelet in the hospital it was shown as the BPD-DS.

sixtosbaby
on 10/20/10 11:12 pm - Bellevue, NE
Ok... the call is in.  The lady who answered the phone took my question and then she said that she is pretty sure that the stomach is cut vertically, which would mean DS  and not horizontally which would mean BPD (if my research is correct).  They will be calling me back.  man, my tummy is in knots.  But all is good, right?!?  
Michelle    
MsBatt
on 10/21/10 6:47 am
It just so happens that I have pictures to show the difference between the BPD and the BPD-DS:

If you really have a Scopinaro BPD, you have a very large pouch, distal RNY. It looks like this:

A true DS (sometimes called a BPD with DS/duodenal switch) looks like this:

More and more these days, the DS is called the Verticla Sleeve Gastrectomy with Duodenal Switch, which is really more accurate. But if you have ANY questions, show these pics to your surgeon and have him point out the one he's planning on giving you.

adkmtngirl
on 10/20/10 11:19 pm - Brant Lake, NY
 All is good Michelle- that's how my surgeon does it as well. I asked him this question a few months ago (when I had this epiphany while doing research as well). Luckily, I had my appointment with him the same day as I came up with the question.
Kristina

sixtosbaby
on 10/21/10 2:09 pm - Bellevue, NE
Never heard back from my Dr. Office... NOT HAPPY about that.
Michelle    
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views