Leg problems

Gracie P.
on 11/11/10 9:38 am, edited 11/11/10 9:40 am - Mansfield, OH
Hi Folks!  This weekend I started to notice my legs were feeling wobbly... felt like I was almost drunk sometimes (in the legs!)  No, no alcohol for this girl yet!

Anyways, yesterday it was so bad that the DH made me go to the ER.  They did a few visual tests, feeling and reflex tests and some x-rays and said it was my sciatica.  Gave me a muscle relaxant shot and some pain med Rxs.  When I got home, I was drinking a room temp. bottle of water and rested it on my LEFT leg and it HURT!!  Rested it on my RIGHT leg and it felt cold.  What the heck is this all about?

Went to chiropractor today and they said sciatic too.  Did some therapy and want to see me again tomorrow.  I am so wobbly on my legs that I am using a cane! 

They also prescribed an antibiotic for a slight UTI.

Just making sure they are right that it is sciatic and not something else.  I trust the people on here more than the hospitals these days!  lol

Thanks!

P.S.  I forgot to add that I have a sharp pain in my right side and I have had my appendix out... it's not near that site.  It's up further and on my side completely.

Gracie                                          
- 165 lbs. total!                     Updated 4/7/13

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/10 9:46 am
How are your labs?

B vites?  TBIC, Ferritin?

Prolly your back.  Dunno about the pain in your side. How bad is it on a scale of 1 - 10? (10 being the worst)

Hope you feel better soon,
Michele
Gracie P.
on 11/11/10 10:45 am - Mansfield, OH
Yesterday the pain was a 4 and today before the pain med kicked in it was at least a 7 or 8.  I've only had my 3 month labs run and everything was good.  I don't have my 6 month until late Dec.

Gracie                                          

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/10 10:54 am

If the pain in your side is a 7 or 8 * I * would go to the Dr.
Everyone's pain is pretty individual but that is a lot for an abdominal pain.  Be sure that the meds you are taking for your back are not masking the pain in your side.  You have 2 separate issues going on.

Michele

Gracie P.
on 11/11/10 10:57 am - Mansfield, OH
Yep, I try not to take the pain med so I can actually know what is going on.  I did call my regular Dr. today and they are getting back to me tomorrow morning!

Gracie                                          

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/10 9:48 am
Gracie,

I'm sorry you're having leg problems.  What you've posted sounds like it could be sciatica.  The question is what's causing it.  Sciatica can be from pure muscle spasms, but can also be related to a herniated or ruptured disc or a vertebral compression fracture or other conditions of the lumbar spine.  As suddenly as this has come on I would be quick to get an MRI of the lumbar spine if you're not improving.  Depending on the cause, sometimes therapy can make things worse instead of better. 

I hope you start improving soon!  Please keep us posted!
Gracie P.
on 11/11/10 10:50 am - Mansfield, OH

I do have ruptured discs in my neck and have had back problems off and on thru my adult life.  Nothing this severe.  Thanks for the info and support!

Gracie                                          

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/10 9:56 am
While I agree with your docs that it's the sciatica, I've read that low iron can cause restless leg syndrome.

Have you had your iron and ferritin checked lately?

I have my first hematologist  consult tomorrow for my low iron.  Will give a report on what goes on.  I have all my paperwork ready (copies of my labs) for him and a summary sheet of vits and supplements.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Gracie P.
on 11/11/10 10:55 am - Mansfield, OH
Hi Ratkity!

I will have to find my 3 month labs and see how my iron was.  I know Dr. told me everything looked good except my A1c. 

It's not restless legs the DH has that... maybe I will see if we can get his iron checked.  My right leg it so wobbly and almost gives out with each step and I have to convince it to move with me!  My left leg is almost numb now.  It was painful when I put anything cold on it now I don't feel the pain, but I don't feel the cold either!  WEIRD!

I am no longer menstruating, so I really shouldn't have much iron problem.  I do take 2 multi's a day with iron!  ???

Good to hear from you Honey!

Gracie                                          

beemerbeeper
on 11/11/10 11:21 am - AL
Gracie,

You absolutely cannot just take your surgeon's word that your labs are "good." You should really post all your labs here, each time you get them done, and get feedback from these very experienced DS lab experts.

What is "good" for a normie is not always good enough for us.

Also, iron can be a real problem for us, even if we are post-menopausal. I take VitaLady's Tender Iron and it brought my iron back up pretty well. I take it with Vit C away from all food and other vites.

Hope your pain problem gets resolved but it sounds to me that you'll have to be proactive about it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 109 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 657 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views