6 Month Update (Long)

Victorious_one
on 12/7/10 10:16 pm - South Central, PA
Hey, everyone.  Here I am, at six months and a day.  I'm alive.  I have all of my faculties (well, my physical ones anyway--ha ha!).  I'm blessed.

This ride has been a rough one for me.  Starting 18 hours after surgery, nothing seems to have gone according to my plan.  You know that plan?  Everything is smooth sailing, uneventful, a walk in the park, no problems or worries...yep, that plan.  

The Ugly  
In the hospital after DS surgery, I never left the ICU (well, except to go home, thank God!).  My blood pressure was as high as 200/something, and as low as 70/30.  My pulse/heart rate kept racing between 100-125.  I was 3 quarts low on blood and had to be transfused.  They weren't sure if I'd had a heart attack, so I had to have a full battery of heart and lung tests (they call it a "battery" of tests for a reason...yowza!  I was all clear with heart stuff, though).  I had countless CT scans and MRIs.  All the while, my DS was in perfect working order.  There was no explanation for why my body went haywire after surgery, except that they found a small amount of mucus in my lungs.  A little snot causing all that ruckus?  Hmmm.....

I came home to frequent puking , multiple times daily.  It was always foamies, never food, but I couldn't figure out how to stop them.  I couldn't get my vitamins down.  I could eat a few things, but the menu had to change every day.  It was a nightmare, for about five months.

The Bad  

Up until about 5 months out, I couldn't drink any kind of protein shake without puking.  I figured it was the artificial sweeteners and/or the whey, but when I switched to egg protein, it was the same story.  I missed out on 5 good months of protein.  I did eat as much as I could every day, but learning about the quality and bio-availability of proteins makes me wonder if I shouldn't have gone on TPN or something, but there was no way to know that all my puking issues were going to follow me for months.

I still puke.  I puked this morning.  It's not 3 times a day like it was in the beginning, or even 3 times per week like it was for many months.  I am able to drink a shake a day without getting sick, and I'm able to make a lower protein version of my own that I like at home (soy milk, raw egg, raw oats, banana, strawberries and vanilla extract).  I live to push the protein.

My labs are in the tank.  I had some serious leg swelling for several weeks recently. Dr. Greenbaum put me on a prescription Vitamin D, and he's putting me on Creon which helps with absorption (and slows weight loss).  

Because of my nutrition issues, I sleep like crazy.  Odd hours, but not long ones.  Like a newborn.  I'm out by 6pm, up at 11pm, asleep again at midnight, up at 3am, starving all the time...it's not fun.  I used to just keep some cheese by my bed at night, but that's not enough to do the trick anymore.  This sleeve is a demanding diva!

I have been wondering if I've done the right thing, getting this DS.  Why didn't I just try Weigh****chers one more time?  Why didn't I just learn to love my big, beautiful self?  Who needs a giant scar and puking all day every day?  I didn't sign up for this ... or did I?

The Good  

Ok, enough whining!  There are some great things about having a DS.

I made a conscious choice early on to tell everyone I know that I've had weight loss surgery.  It's easier for me to do that than it is for a lot of other people, which is frustrating.  So many people need to know about the DS!  Because I own my own business, I don't have workplace gossips, and I don't have to worry about being discriminated against, or having my privacy invaded, or having my health status held against me when people are looking to make promotions.  I get totally upset when I read about what my DS brothers and sisters have to go through on their jobs!  Part of  me being an authentic entrepreneur is my letting folks know that I'm not perfect, but that I am willing and able to make some tough choices to improve my life if necessary, even something as big as WLS.  As a life coach, I ask people to take small and large steps of faith everyday.  I had to do the same in my own life, and be willing to talk about it.  So, I pretty much have "No, I Didn't Diet My Way to Fabulous, I'm a Weight Loss Surgery Survivor, and No I Don't Have A Lap Band" as my every-day T-shirt.

I'm in a size 12 slacks, on my way to a 10.  My goal is to wear a size 8, which is single digits, baby!  I wear a MEDIUM shirt/blouse, which I haven't worn since middle school (linebacker shoulders).  I have lost almost 75% of my excess weight already.  I lose weight consistently, and have never had a stall to speak of.  I don't have to watch carbs (can't anyway--gotta eat what I can).  I may just get to goal yet!

I've had some fabulous WOWs, like being mistaken from afar for my 11 year old daughter, and wearing her clothes.  I bought some fabulous new boots a couple of weeks ago, and were able to gift my wide-leg big-girl boots to a big, beautiful friend.

I can stand on my feet for more than 5 minutes at a time.  I used to have to use a chair to rehearse with my church choir, but now I can stand for the whole 2 hours just like everyone else.  The choir and our leaders have been so supportive of me on the days when I feel nauseous or tired, and that feels great.

People call me skinny.  I say "say it louder!"  They tell me I look great.  I say, "tell me again!"  There is NO SHAME in my DS game!  I love being complimented.  It's a boost, especially on hard days.

My DH says I'm wasting away.  He grabs me and holds me to assess how many ribs he can feel.  Any excuse for me to get a longer squeeze outta my squeeze is a plus!  He takes excellent care of me, makes sure I take my vitamins and that I have things in the house that I can eat that will agree with me.  

A sort of back-handed plus is that my DH and my DD have had a chance to bond more closely.  Because I've been laid up puking and sleeping, DH has stepped in to take DD to dance classes and after-school events, which in the past were largely Mom-only domains.  I love family bonding!

Mostly, I'm grateful for the support and the swift kicks in the pants that this board offers.  There is no way I'd have made it this far without the information that is so freely shared here.  Y'all are great!

Pre-Ops...Early-Outs...it does get better.  I felt like crap and wasn't sure that I would get any better, but I AM getting better, a little bit more every day.  My leg swelling is down, and I feel great today.

I put just a few pix on my profile.  Hopefully I'll get more soon.

All in all...my DS and I are learning to live together in harmony.  I hope to love her soon, but more importantly, I'll be glad when she starts to love ME!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Babydoll25
on 12/7/10 10:30 pm - White Lake Township, MI
 Wow your not kidding you have had a rough go at this! I am so happy to hear that you are on the mend and starting to feel better! I like your "WLS surgery survivor!" that is sooo true! While some tells us it is the easy way out, I'm sorry but nothing about you journey thus far screams easy to me! We are survivors! 

Congrats on your success so far and thanks for sharing the good the bad and the ugly with us! 

*Heather*                 

Victorious_one
on 12/7/10 10:54 pm - South Central, PA
Thanks, Babydoll.  Yes, the whole "easy way out" makes me laugh...and then .  Six months of a starvation diet was a lot easier!  
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Fade2Pink
on 12/7/10 10:44 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
Wow, Nicole, what a ride you have had.  I'm sorry for the issues you have suffered through, I hope that things will only continue to get better.  You have a great attitude, that has to help.  Hang in there, and congrats on the weight loss.  My first 5 months were not a picnic, but thankfully nothing as traumatic as you are having.  I had food adversions (couldn't look, smell or eat most things), but it improved after about the 5 month mark, today all of that is behind me.  I hope you'll turn that corner very soon.  Best wishes to you!
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Victorious_one
on 12/7/10 10:55 pm - South Central, PA
Thanks, Maria.  I still have all kinds of crazy food issues--something smells funny, stuff I love tastes weird, etc.--but i'm hoping that my sleeve and I will grow out of it soon.
yorkieGal
on 12/7/10 11:04 pm - Clermont, FL
Hey sweetie, boy you have had a rough ride huh?? You are still here and fighting your way back to fitness though and I admire your determination. I was so sick straight after surgery in Spain with a leak and then it reared its head again at 8mths out which had me laid up and in the hospital here and in the Uk trying to get to the bottom of it. But boy, once my Ds was doing OK and I got healthier, I was a happy camper.

have they checked you out for a stricture ?? just wondered with all the puking whether that could explain it?? maybe ask your surgeon about it and Gi would confirm it I guess?? I do hope with all my heart that it continues to get easier for you honey.
Your WOW's are great and I am so impressed by your ability to see the positives, I often need to remind myself to do this lately as things get on top of me easily.

lots of love and hugs and a big congrats to you!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Victorious_one
on 12/7/10 11:35 pm - South Central, PA
Hey there, Yorkie!  Thanks for the encouragement.  It's good to know that it can all come out well down the road.

I had not one but three (I think) GI tests--all clear.  Dr. Greenbaum thinks it's just the acid reflux that I picked up AFTER surgery--another bonus!  I'm inclined to agree since it's subsided a lot and I admit that I don't take my PPI every day.  I guess the old tummy is still healing.

jewel506
on 12/7/10 11:14 pm - Houston, TX

Ugh!  What a bumpy ride you've had!!  

Glad things are finally turning around for you.  Hope your eating gets easier and you feel better with every passing day!

Thanks for sharing your journey.  It's important for pre-ops and newbies to hear.  (((hug)))

Congrats on your 6 mo surgiversary!!  May the next 6 mos be much easier for you!!!

Julie

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Plato
Stormy 918 is my Angel         Angel to DarcyMad, MizCharlottekmg9122,  Staceeann dianeys73/Diane Davis
HW 258.5 /SW 250 /GW 140 /CW 125

dustydeer
on 12/7/10 11:18 pm
Congrats on your 6 months and you are looking fabulous!

I know it's not what you planned, but even with complications, our journeys are valuable and ours. I am happy to see you embrace yours. I am hoping to see you pull out of these in the near future.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

lk1970
on 12/7/10 11:40 pm
Hope things continue to improve... what a ride you've had! Thanks for the update and congrats on all your wows!

Lisa

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views