Let's prepare an ER info package that slam dunks the idiots we might encounter

Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 8:49 am - Burlington County, NJ
Okay. We have established that several of us have experienced what it's like to land in the ER in various degrees of communication ability, pain, etc. Let's put our heads together and work out an info package and a script to use, assuming that we would land in an ER where nobody ever heard of the DS.

I have been very fortunate. I've been in the ER twice in two years, once for unrelated stuff and once for a bellyache from hell that turned out to be a kidney stone. What I did was to write out instructions to be handed to ER people that included a link to my OP report, a description of my DS and a DEMAND to consult my surgeon RIGHT NOW for anything remotely gut related. I carry a crapload of DS information on a jump drive attached to my key chain, ready to hand to anyone. I also have extensive information in my phone under the "in case of emergency" entry.

Next?
beemerbeeper
on 12/18/10 8:52 am - AL
All I've got is a little credit card sized card with a drawing of the DS that I got from Dr Smith. Where I live not a soul has ever heard of the DS and my pcp routinely writes "bypass" in my records.

So I am in real need of these ideas.

Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 8:59 am - Burlington County, NJ
Well, I am a control freak and information fanatic, so I carry a LOT of info, and I have been known to rouse from a state of near-unresponsiveness to instruct the ER people in considerable detail :-p. I'll post my stuff later after others come in.
Marie_G
on 12/27/10 8:32 am
Sis says

<<<Well, I am a control freak >>>

Gee, I hadn't noticed.
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/11 1:13 am

Beemer-

Most of us have to educate our PCP's.  I educated mine even as a pre-op, and when I say I need something connected to my DS, she does what she needs to do as a doctor, but will generally take me at my word, as she knows that I know what I;m talking abut.

I have used Vitalady''s codes, labs and ranges as guidelines, and I have had the surgical notes, as well as Vitalady's stuff, and the codes from my surgeon's office placed in my records.

You have to be proactive with your records, and correct your PCP when they say you've had a bypass. If your PCP has a huge "God complex", and doesn't take kindly to patient participation in their own care...find a PCP who will work with you!  It can make all the difference in the medical care you receive!
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/10 8:58 am, edited 12/18/10 8:58 am
Great idea! So far, I have an Emergency Folder which has my surgery report and current labs, also has the DS card given to me with my DS docs info, including his home phone number. I also have a copy of all prior surgeries, all current medications including all supplements. I've got basic emergency info on all pc's and jump drives, and another DS card on my refrigerator. Other than that I wasn't sure what else I could do.
Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 9:08 am - Burlington County, NJ
How have you educated your loved ones about how to act with you in the ER? My hubby is kinda sorta....um, well totally...clueless except to hand over the stuff he carries in his pocket and in his phone and some ability to follow instructions to demand that they LISTEN TO ME CUZ I'M SMART. My sister, OTOH, who was with me when I landed in the ER with gut pain that turned out to be kidney stone, really read and learned everything I gave her and arrived on scene armed with printouts of all the info and ready to go to war with anyone who didn't shut upand listen :-p.
beemerbeeper
on 12/18/10 9:11 am - AL
I've got no "in case of emergency" people so this is critical for me to get together. Chances are 99.99% that if anything happened to me I would be alone at the hospital.

I never thought of putting info on a portable drive thingy. And I don't even HAVE a copy of my operative report. So I've got some work cut out for me.

But hey, I'm up for this task!!!

Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 9:19 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's my understanding that an "in case of emergency" message on your phone is a way to direct people to important information. Hello emergency response folks, comment please?
beemerbeeper
on 12/18/10 9:29 am - AL
I have no idea what you mean.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views