im gassy and in pain... this sucks

jonathanac
on 1/1/11 9:55 am - NY
I tried no carb to day and it still hurts and still alot of gas.
Now I dont know what to cut out next...
dairy?
probiotics?
espresso?

any other ideas? It just started recently and had almost no issues for 5 months.
I just started the primal defense ultra about a week ago and think it may be responsible, anyone have a problem with it?

thanks
Highest:454~Surgery:415~Current:227~Lost:227~Goal:220

MarciRenee
on 1/1/11 10:11 am - IA
How many do you take a day?  If you just started a week ago and you are taking more than 1 a day then you probably ramped up too quickly - which can cause gas and bloating.

When I started I took one every other day for a week, then 1 a day for a week, 2 a day for a week, and then 3 a day for week...and would have cut back and taken more time to ramp up to the full dose if I had gotten more gas and bloating along the way.

Marci       
Dena73
on 1/1/11 10:17 am - Hamilton, NJ
Probiotics absolutely wreak havoc on me!!!  It is horrible, painful, bloaty, hurty gas.  I don't do them anymore.  They only way I would do them again is if I had a major problem.

I hope that you find out what it is and get it straightened out.

Dena

HW 294..... SW 277..... CW 161 ..... GW 160???
DOODLESNJ AND ELLEN G. ARE MY ANGELS   R.I.P. Faith...Beautiful Angel 8/26/10, you will be missed by all, gone but never forgotten <3 <3 <3
DENA    

Stacie S.
on 1/1/11 10:21 am - Spring Hill, FL
For me, when I took probiotics, they turned my guts to cement.  I wasn't trying to do anything with the probiotics (smell or looseness), but had heard on here that they were good for us, so I thought I'd try them.  Almost immediately, I stopped going to the bathroom.  WIthin a few days, I was miserable.  I lowered the dosage, but it wasn't until I stopped taking them at all that I went to the bathroom again.  I haven't taken them since.   You may have to adjust your dosage to get them to work right, or you might be better off without them. 

Good luck!
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

linda1814
on 1/1/11 10:38 am
What kind of dairy are you talking about?  Are you drinking actual milk?  Or are you just talking about cheese?  

Also, do you do ANYTHING at all with any sugar alcohols?  I can't even do mints or gum with 1 or 2 grams of sugar alcohol.  My gut is that sensitive to them.   

Is the probiotic the only change to your diet recently?  Nothing else sneaking in?

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

jonathanac
on 1/1/11 11:25 am - NY
ive basically lived on dairy 80% post op lots of cheeses and milk and cappuccino etc. It didnt make sense to ma that Id turn lactose intolerant overnight.
I really think its the probiotic. Im gonna take a day off tomorrow and see if it helps.
While I have started with some carbs it is very little, and again not much recently that would explain the gas and bloating.
Ive also had sugar alcohols and know they bother me, but no more lately than Ive had in the past, and had zero today.

Hopefully the probiotic is causing it and itll stop gassing me up when I stop taking it
Highest:454~Surgery:415~Current:227~Lost:227~Goal:220

Emily F.
on 1/2/11 12:14 am
On January 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM Pacific Time, jonathanac wrote:
ive basically lived on dairy 80% post op lots of cheeses and milk and cappuccino etc. It didnt make sense to ma that Id turn lactose intolerant overnight.
I really think its the probiotic. Im gonna take a day off tomorrow and see if it helps.
While I have started with some carbs it is very little, and again not much recently that would explain the gas and bloating.
Ive also had sugar alcohols and know they bother me, but no more lately than Ive had in the past, and had zero today.

Hopefully the probiotic is causing it and itll stop gassing me up when I stop taking it
 How many of the Primal are you taking? You should start slow. Like every other day for a week, then every day, then twice a day, that should take like a month to do.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
fattyfattyboomstix
on 1/1/11 12:50 pm
 You know, this is really strange because I'm just a few days out from your surgery date, and just recently also started experiencing horrific gas, bloating and general discomfort but no change to my BM's. I had pretty much been trying most things and not finding I had problems with anything. Last night I decided I'd cut WAY back on sugar alcohols (I was having 1 or 2 Atkins bars per day).. Tonight I have no gas. 
The other thing I stopped today was Dreamfields pasta, I had been having it on and off and thought maybe that was all of a sudden causing me problems. 
I'm not taking any probiotics.  Would be interested to know what it turns out to be.
airbender
on 1/1/11 7:48 pm
On January 1, 2011 at 5:55 PM Pacific Time, jonathanac wrote:
I tried no carb to day and it still hurts and still alot of gas.
Now I dont know what to cut out next...
dairy?
probiotics?
espresso?

any other ideas? It just started recently and had almost no issues for 5 months.
I just started the primal defense ultra about a week ago and think it may be responsible, anyone have a problem with it?

thanks
this will require some detective work on your part.  there are no absolutes in medicine.  you say you are gassy but you didnt mention diarrhea, which makes a difference, I will assume you have no diarrhea.  what you are going through is very frustrating but there are steps to take to come to the root issue of your symptoms.  First contact your DS surgeon (he will tell you some things I am about to) either before trying the following and especially if you don't have any relief after trying them.

you have to understand the human body can develop hypersenetivites, intolerance, etc at any point, the statement "no issues for 5 months" is irrelevant.

for 72 contiuous hours:

1.  get rid of the proboitic
2.  if you are taking Fe get rid of it
3.  do not consume any products with nitrites (bacon etc) while nitrites usually do not cause a hypersensitivity they can start the cascade, dont get scared you won't die without bacon for a few days and processed meats
4.  keep your carbs low to initiate a ketosis state (while this is different for everyone, keep your total carbs to a  max of 50 TOTAL grams, and forget about the BS of effective carbs), it would be best if you could actually test to make sure, with a ketostix upon rising in am and before bed (you can get these at pharmacies)
5.  remove all -OSE, and hol,  from your diet, including "milk"  (if you had an intolerance to milk you would have diarrhea, but you should remove it to keep your TOTAL carbs low)
6.  eat a very simple, non-processed diet to include:  eggs, chix, fish, beef, lettuce, no fruits, low carb nuts like macadamian, sunflower, etc stay away from fibrous veges (asparagus, brocc, brussels, corn etc), yes that means get rid of expressos, coffee, all the other stuff not listed, try to drink only water, this is only for 3 days
7.  no protein shakes of any sort

after 3 days your gas should be gone, then you can systematically set out to ID the specific issue.  contact your medical professional, primarily your DS surgeon as he is the one who has altered you.  hope you feel better, post when you find your issue and hope you have relief soon
(deactivated member)
on 1/1/11 10:51 pm
Air, I'm going to add your response to my DS Sticky thread, if you don't mind. You've spelled it all out perfectly and the information would be beneficial to us all. If you don't want me to add it, just let me know and I'll remove the link. Thanks so much!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 114 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views