Sugar alcohols? Just ordered Atkins bars and?????

sweetdew
on 1/13/11 9:53 pm - CA
So I got my Atkins bars and a couple of them have NO sugar alcohols, some of them have 2-4 and others as much as 11 !!!!!!!

Wish I would of paid closer attention to the ones that had high sugar alcohols.

So that being said, what is a reasonable number of SA that will not get you super gassy or sick?

Please advise,
Shireen
Sweetdew
2005-Revision from Lap-band to RNY, 12/2010 Revision from RNY to DS
HW-305  DS,SW-262  CW-slowly going down  GW-140/160

Kathleen F.
on 1/13/11 10:04 pm
Depends. I can tolerate a moderate amount. Some people can't eat it at all. At your stage, I would avoid it for now. Stick the ones with sugar alcohols in the fridge and wait a couple of months before trying. Then maybe try a 1/4 bar to see how it goes.
sweetdew
on 1/13/11 10:23 pm - CA
Thanks Kathleen! I ate one today that had 1 SA and was ok, so as long as it is 1 or under and wait for the others? Shucks, I am really bummed about buying them. Maybe i should return the ones with the high SA?
Sweetdew
2005-Revision from Lap-band to RNY, 12/2010 Revision from RNY to DS
HW-305  DS,SW-262  CW-slowly going down  GW-140/160

Kathleen F.
on 1/13/11 10:51 pm
Oh, I would keep them. They will keep for a while in the fridge. I can eat 10 with no problem. 20 might cause me to have some gas and a little discomfort. I haven't tried more than that, but everyone is different. Your system will be much more settled in a couple of months, so you can give it a try then.
Crazeru
on 1/13/11 11:26 pm
I start having problems with 3 SA, 10 I jusy want to die for 4-8 hrs - bloating cramping, & explosive dirrhea - so not worth it at for me.  Also all the diet sodas are the same...  No SF stuff for me.  Splenda and little amounts of the Pure/Smart sugar is ok.
Gave them all to my daughter.

I get Premier bars at Sams no SA 3 flavors, their Cliff  bars - Peanut butter and Choc Chip have 0 too.  Snickers Marathan  bars don't have any,  but higher carbs.

Chris
  HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/137 ~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08 
Plastics in Monterrey with Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Dr Sauceda Website

Love my Body by Sauceda 

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/11 2:04 am
Revision on 08/11/08 with
I made the mistake of ordering some bars with SA, didn't read the ingredients close enough and POW !!! Atkins do well by me, just wish they had more protein in them.
teachmid
on 1/14/11 5:54 am - OKC, OK
Shireen,

Looks like you're losing again! Congratulations.

Gail
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/11 6:31 am
Im having no problem with SA...Im pouring it in my coffee and protein drinks, SF popsicles also.
beemerbeeper
on 1/14/11 7:49 am - AL
DS on 09/30/09 with
For me? Zero. I couldn't tolerate them at all.

~Becky

Julie R.
on 1/14/11 8:41 am - Ludington, MI
I am pretty sensitive to SA's.   I can handle all of the Atkins "meal" bars, but most of their "candy" bars give me problems.   I never added up the SA's, but I'm sure, especially anything with a caramel or nougat, is pretty high.  The ones that are like Payday bars give me the most problems!

My favorite non-SA bars are Power Crunch bars.  I order them off the internet, and usually I get them from Vitacost.com.    Trader Joes, last time I checked there (I don't have one within 250 miles of me so only go when I get back to Detroit) has them for an excellent price too.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Chad M.
on 1/14/11 10:05 am, edited 1/14/11 10:06 am - Indianapolis, IN
It fluctuates a lot for me. None of the atkins bars bother me. There is really only one that I ever buy these days though. It is whichever one has no sugar alcohols and has 18g of protein. Most of them are too low in protein to bother with.

Most of the time sugar alcohols really do not bother me. Some of the protein bars I buy have them, some don't. No big deal. Sugar free candy, though, can really do a number on me if I eat too much of it. I ate a small bag of it one night and regretted it for a couple of hours.
P. Poster
on 1/14/11 11:25 am
 SAs don't bother me at all, even in very high doses (like the SF honey I use, it has 17g SA per TBSP and I often use more than that).  It really is a YMMV thing.
Tonya M.
on 1/14/11 5:59 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
DS on 01/11/10 with
I love the new dark chocolate almond coconut crunch bar by Atkins.  It's so good, kind of like a chewy granola bar with dark chocolate on the bottom.  Sugar alcohols don't bother me, just like bean...I must be one of the few around here who don't have issues with them.  Although I've never sat down and ate a whole bag of sugar free candy yet, I hear that is what gets most people (even non-DSers).  My girlfriend Debbie (who is diabetic) has suffered the consequences from doing this and has a really funny story to go with it...lol.
Bobbye
on 3/26/11 10:28 am
My Atkins Advantage caramel bar now says that it has 7 grams of sugar alcohol...And it didn't say that before.
So I think they recently changed the amounts. I'm going to have to stop using them because they are making my stomach hurt.
I have used these bars for over 3 years.
Mommy2006
on 1/14/11 6:10 pm
I thought I would have no problem with them.
I was wrong. :)

I would take it easy, try maybe just one of them that has 2. I was very surprised to find out they bothered me as much as they did/do.