vsg to ds for weird reason??

susang
on 1/31/11 6:42 am - CA
Has anyone gone from a vsg to DS not for much weight gain, although I have gained about 15 pounds in 5 years, but for reflux and a misshaped stomach?
I am seeing a WL surgeon in a few weeks but would like information.
I have been on all sorts of "reflux" medication for the last 4 years and my ins wants to stop paying for my Nexium ( to expensive for them what about me!!!). I also eat protein etc and get full but a few hours later seem to be hungry ( not the head type) My stomach per last endoscopy is shaped like an hourglass also and I also  have gastritis. I had an upper GI today and the doc said besides the weird shape of my stomach he didnt see a reflux issue or ulcer, pyloric valve looked good yet without medication I am in pain even with no food in my stomach. I had the vsg 5 years ago and really think this is all to do with a "mechanical problem" of some type. I am wondering if doing the DS would correct these issues???
Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks
larra
on 1/31/11 7:24 am - bay area, CA
The DS won't fix these issues. Going from VSG to DS involves adding the "switch" part, but we have the same VSG stomach that you have, just that most surgeons make the sleeve smaller with a stand-alone VSG than with a DS.
    It sounds like there is something wrong with the shape of your sleeve. A DS won't fix that. You might need a revision of the sleeve, if that is technically possible, which may depend on the size of your sleeve.  This would be something to discuss with your surgeon.
    The DS also does not fix gastritis. Maybe the GI doc could suggest some additional meds to add to the Nexium, such as carafate. Or maybe some specific foods to avoid that could be irritating to your stomach.

Larra

susang
on 1/31/11 7:32 am - CA
Thanks Larra, I have had carafate and reglan. I to think it is the shape of my stomach, just didnt know if the food flow outlet would make a difference...I appreciate your response!
larra
on 1/31/11 7:44 am - bay area, CA
The "food flow outlet", which is to say the pyloric valve, is the same with DS as with VSG, so you already have what we have in that regard.
    I hope the sleeve shape issue can be successfully addressed. Best of luck.

Larra
Emily F.
on 1/31/11 9:31 am
I have heard of sleevers needing a revision to correct hourglass shape but have no idea what that entails. Did you try the sleeve board?
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 270 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views