Why does sugar cause diarrhea?

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 4:19 pm - Minneapolis area, MN
Can someone please tell me why I get diarrhea from eating sugar?  And is it always permanent or does the effect fade for most people after a while?  I am nine months out.
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 4:25 pm
Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones!!!

I'm not affected that way by sugar, YMMV.

Hopefully it will change for you.
Lynda D.
on 2/2/11 4:35 pm
Sugar is my greatest enemy. It's my downfall. I crave it like a smoker craves cigarettes.

I haven't had the DS surgery, I had RNY five years ago and I still struggle with sugar. I am hoping, hoping, hoping that having the DS will control these awful cravings. Does it? Does the DS procedure help with sugar cravings? It levels out the insulin, right? I think that's my problem. I have too many spikes and drops in my blood sugar. Too many bad dumping and reactive hypoglycemia episodes.

Lynda

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 4:57 pm, edited 2/4/11 6:23 am - Minneapolis area, MN
I was able to get my sugar cravings under control before DS, by taking chromium picolinate supplements. It took a few weeks of taking it, but my sugar cravings reduced by about 90%. I hope it works for you!

I think that DS does reduce sugar cravings at least partly because you'll have less grehlin in your system due to having 70% of your stomach removed, but maybe some others will share their experiences with this as well.
Jersey Girl
on 2/2/11 5:02 pm
Revision on 03/07/11 with
I've never heard of chromiul picolinate.  How long did you take them?
A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
(deactivated member)
on 2/3/11 1:41 am, edited 2/3/11 1:52 am - Minneapolis area, MN
Sorry, typo. I meant chromium picolinate. I take three per day (one with each meal) of these:

www.vitacost.com/NSI-Chromium-Picolinate-500-mcg-300-Capsule s

Since they are a dietary supplement rather than a medication, I suspect that I had been deficient before and that's what was causing my sugar cravings--deficiencies can cause odd cravings. For example, people who are very deficient in iron often get intense cravings to eat ice.

I still take them and intend to keep doing so, because if I was deficient before DS, I would certainly be deficient after.

mrsannie
on 2/3/11 5:19 am
I don't know about that!  I have always been a sugar fiend, and it hasn't changed that much, except that fact that the effects are deadly so I have to rein myself in when I am going to be around other people.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Lynda D.
on 2/4/11 2:35 pm

How much chromium do you take? I was told years ago by my doctor to take chromium for my hypoglycemia. It really helped. I need to start taking it again.

I take 500 mcg. How much do you take?

Lynda

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/11 4:22 pm - Minneapolis area, MN
I take 3 capsules (500 mcg each) per day, one with each meal.
Julie R.
on 2/2/11 5:00 pm - Ludington, MI

My cravings for sugar were nonexistant for the longest while...then....once I started eating it, the cravings did come back.   Fortunately, for me, many sugary foods are tooooo sweet nowadays.   I cannot eat milk chocolate or most chocolate bars, but eat dark chocolate a lot.    A chocolate chip cookie or a piece of cake with lots of frostings will make me shiver, they're so sweet.   Other things though, like pie, aren't too sweet.   I have lots of problems with too much sugar - bad gas and diarrhea, so I limit them in my diet for that reason, and also because it will make me gain weight, which it did, over the holidlays!       If I had, say, a donut for breakfast, I'd be so bloated and gassy by lunch that I'd embarrass myself big-time with the results!  

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

RKLC2002
on 2/2/11 5:51 pm - Omaha, NE
DS on 10/14/11 with
Seems that this may be a benefit of the DS.   If it discourages me from sugar and carbs, that will be a plus.   A painful and uncomfortable reminder of how I got myself to how I am now as a pre-DSer. 
Julie R.
on 2/2/11 6:18 pm - Ludington, MI
Hmmm....now I don't know if I can articulate this properly, but I want you to promise me that you work on your "I was obese because I was bad" mode of thinking.   The factors that come into play that cause obesity are far more complex than "how you got yourself" obese.    There are hormonal, genetic, physiological, biochemical and emotional reasons why we become MO.    It's not always "what" we eat that causes us to be obese, but a combination of triggers, cravings, etc. that are beyond even the most stalwart dieter's control.    It's amazing, because although I do watch my sugar intake, those feelings of guilt, self-punishment and self-hatred are gone.   I feel like my relationship with food is now a normal and healthy one.   When I'm full, I push the plate away and can't eat another bite.   I might be able to eat another bite 30 minutes later, but your feelings of saiety and satisfacation are just SO SO different.    Nowadays, if I want sugar - I have it - just very small quantities, because I know what it's going to do to me.    I"m not always perfect, especially when someone puts a box of Jelly Bellies in front o fme, LOL.  For example though, I just ate two squares of Ghiradelli 72% cocoa chocolate.    Now, I'm 4.5 years post-op.    I have a pretty big stomach these days and can eat a fair bit compared to what I could eat at six months post-op.    Two squares satisfied me, but by no means did they create a feeling of fullness, and the rest of the large candy bar is sitting right here on the nightstand next to me, untouched.  When I was MO, that candy bar could NOT have sat there untouched.   I would have been compelled to eat it - to fini****   What's different now?   I think it's the reduced gherelin levels, and perhaps someone else has a more accurate explanation.   Now, I might decide before heading off to bed that I  need some more protein, and I'll head down to the kitchen for a couple of pieces of cheese or something, because it's sometimes hard for me to make it through the night without having a protein snack before bed.    It's PROTEIN I crave now more than sugar.   I still get starchy cravings - especially for potato chips, but it's just so much different now!   I could never prepare anyone by just telling them, you sort of have to experience it yourself.   But please, work on forgiving yourself for your obesity.    Use that emotional energy to plan and anticipate the liberation you are going to experience in the days ahead.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

RKLC2002
on 2/2/11 6:29 pm - Omaha, NE
DS on 10/14/11 with
Great point.  Thank you!   I love this DS board!!  So many great supporters out there.   I never really thought about how I was thinking. 

I'm still pre-DS because I'm self-pay and my doctor currently isn't doing self-pay due to the hospital contracts.  Hopefully this is a short-term thing!!  Otherwise, I  may look into going to Pennsylvania or Mexico to seek another option.

Anyway.... when I did WW and did it well, I found that when I really watched or limited my carb intake, I really never had any significant sugar cravings.   While I sit and wait for the surgery, I need to already start myself on doing protein first so that I get in the proper mindset. 

I appreciate your input.   I love the fact that we can get so much info from people that have gone through the process.
Lisey
on 2/3/11 2:27 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I went to Mexico if you have any questions about Ungson - who is the only person I would get the DS from in Mexico, btw.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/11 1:50 am - Minneapolis area, MN
Well said, Julie!!

MO is nothing to be ashamed of.  It is not caused by weakness, lazines, stupidity or any character defect.
Former Elizabeth
on 2/2/11 5:56 pm
YMMV.   Some people do lose their carb cravings.   I never had sugar cravings before I had the DS.   I always wanted the buttered noodles.   Now I can have the butter, and I'm kinda looking at the Oreos out of the corner of my eye. 

Dennie

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. ~Julia Child"

Bill I.
on 2/2/11 5:55 pm - Ashton, IL

Significant sugar intake has that effect on me and I'm almost 2 yrs post-op.

Quantity seems to make a difference so less sugar = less risk of having this problem.  I do not hear a lot about this symptom from others.  Doesn't happen to me often, but I don't indulge often either.

highest weight 425lbs - surgery weight 400lbs - goal weight 199lbs
Former Elizabeth
on 2/2/11 5:57 pm
I don't know either!   It seems like maybe it's irritating?   I feel like I have to eat a certain smallish level of things that are irritating in order to keep things moving along the way they need to do.

But that's probably just my carb craving justifying itself to me.

Dennie

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. ~Julia Child"

BetsyDP
on 2/2/11 6:01 pm - MI
DS on 08/21/09 with
I had seriously major cravings for sugar pre DS.  I was shocked that the thought of sugary foods actually sickened me a bit post DS.... UNTIL about month 6!  I, unfortunately, do not get diarrhea or gas from sugar.  I do, however, occassionally get a sick to my stomach feeling if I have to much.  But there is no special gram amount I can figure out.  Had a donut yesterday and no problems.  However, a few weeks ago I had a small piece of cake and one scoop of ice cream at a bday party and felt sick about 5 min later.  The sick feeling lasts about 10 min and then I'm good to go.  I do feel like Julie that the more I eat the more I crave. 

Kayla B.
on 2/2/11 6:03 pm, edited 2/2/11 6:04 pm - Austin, TX
It creates an osmotic gradient that pulls water into the gut.

Basically: high sugar concentration inside the gut, body wants to pull water into the area so the concentration inside the gut is the same as inside the body.

And now you know :P

Happens with babies/toddlers and fructose (fruit sugar) a lot.

ETA: it'll probably decrease with time as your new guts "mature."  I've found that most food intolerances have eased up with time.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg