Why does sugar cause diarrhea?

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 5:44 pm - Minneapolis area, MN
Excellent info, thanks!

But I still have one question.  Why didn't sugar cause this effect before DS?  Is it because the sugar is travelling through most of the small intestine undigested now?  Whereas before it would digest almost as soon as it entered the intestine?
Kayla B.
on 2/2/11 9:09 pm - Austin, TX
Yes, I do think that is the reason.  The actual intestinal cells produce enzymes that digest our food without help from the pancreas (which is probably the reason why we predict that the length of the alimentary limb can be a predictor to DS success just as much as the common channel).  Anyways, I don't know too much about all the enzymes that can get made there, but I do know that the enzymes that break down disaccharides (simple two-unit sugars...table sugar is one example of one, so is lactose...hello lactose intolerance!) can be made there.  So if we separate food from all the enzymes it used to have, some amount can go undigested. 

To be sure I was right about my hunch, I read into an article that actually said some children with diarrhea have such poor absorption that you can even detect excessive sugar in the stool.  Pretty crazy!

In addition, the undigested sugars enter the large intestine and can ferment from the bacteria there, making things even worse because bacteria in the gut produce gas as a byproduct of them metabolizing the sugars.

I'd guess that this improves because the intestine could get more efficient at producing the enzymes, or as some people have predicted "regrowth" of villi.  Also, intestines that are swollen and unhappy are really bad at absorbing things.  I don't know how long that swelling and unhappiness can last after surgery.  I'll have to look into it--LOL

Here's my article that I referenced, it's actually pretty old (from the 70s):
Sugar-induced diarrhoea in children. M Gracey and V Burke Arch Dis Child. 1973 May; 48(5): 331–336. PMCID: PMC1648389
full text available, if you're interested:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1648389/pdf/arch disch00865-0005.pdf

zomg, I love nutrition. 
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 10:27 pm - Minneapolis area, MN
Thanks again, Kayla!
Renee2007
on 2/2/11 10:51 am - Central, FL
Sugar feeds the bad bacteria in the gut. Too much sugar and the bacteria becomes unbalanced.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

girlygirl1313
on 2/2/11 10:10 pm - Davidson, NC
 Sugar it's self does not bother me.  It's only when it's attached to processed foods, chemicals, bleached white flour when it bothers me.  And even then it's more likely to be gas than dhr.  For instance, a good quality all natural ice cream in a portioned size does not affect me in the least.  A fast food milk shake or soft serve cone is dhr city (works great for constipation lol)

Every day I learn more and more how the DS is so very individual and personal.  One has to come into this surgery expecting anything, everything and even sometimes nothing at all.

~GG

Blank Out
on 2/3/11 12:30 am
 Wi**** did for me!  Then, I could get things moving!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Lynda D.
on 2/4/11 6:44 am
I just want to be rid of the sugar cravings. The cravings are so bad sometimes, I just feel compelled to have something sweet. Especially after a meal. I crave sugar horribly after a meal. Why is that?

If I can live free of sugar cravings...or at least reduced sugar cravings, I can live relatively sugar free.

I just don't want to feel driven to have sweets. Does any of this make sense?
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/11 8:20 am - Minneapolis area, MN
Makes sense to me.

I was able to get my sugar cravings under control (before I had my DS) by taking chromium picolinate supplements.  It took a few weeks of taking it, but my sugar cravings reduced by about 90%.  I hope it works for you!

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/4/11 12:08 pm
Sugar has never had that effect on me post op. Milk and Sugar alcohols sure...but not regular sugar.

Scott
zuzupetals2u2
on 2/4/11 12:26 pm - Sedona, AZ
what I considered a serious sugar addiction before my DS 7 weeks ago seems to be improved after the DS. I did have something sweet a couple times and it sickened me minutes after and then I had a lot of gas & discomfort thru the next day also. So that keeps me from even being tempted for now as it's not worth it. Besides I dont want to sabotage my results so I talk myself out of it also. I hope the cravings dont return or that I frequently am tempted and eventually feel addicted again. I am enjoying eating better in that regard and have the mindset of eating protein and complex carbs. I know small amounts following protein can be OK down the road after goal, like a thin person might, and I am hoping I can keep it to that. If I thought I had to avoid them forever tho I would be more tempted and it would be a forbidden fruit. So many mind games seems to enter in. I cant feel deprived or I would act out from that. I know I can have it but I wouldnt like the result so that helps me make a better choice.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views